Stanage Plantation
5 (18.5%)
Caley
7 (25.9%)
North Wales Somewhere
11 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: May 27, 2005, 12:31:02 pm

where would you rather go? (Read 2760 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 12:31:02 pm
Where wld you rather boulder?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 12:42:42 pm
I don't hate your local andy, I just have no desire whatsoever to go there. Everyone has a fondness for their local spots and problems, but are they worth travelling any great distance to get to?

dave

#2 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 12:48:43 pm
i gone for NWales cos the rather vague question doesn't indicate a time of year, weather etc, and out of those north wales is the only one guaranteed to have somewhere good to go in 99% of occaisions. I woulnd't want to go to stanage in the middle of summer, or woodwell when its seeping, or caley when its hot or green. or brownstones.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#3 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 12:59:01 pm
Maybe a better question would be where's the best place to go for a meet in summer? as I assume that's what you're aiming for...

Or maybe you could start a thread asking what the best question would be...  :wink:

webbo

• forum hero
#4 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 01:15:36 pm
you still have'nt got it re venues.
for example
white edge
chevin quarry
langcliffe quarry
ladybower quarry
BROWNSTONES

squeek

• junky
#5 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 01:32:06 pm
I think the main problem with having a South lancs meet would have been the venues are esoteric and some well known great bouldering places are 20 minutes away, Earl, Crookrise, Widdop, etc.  So no-ones realistically going to travel for hours to get there and then climb there instead of going somewhere else.  Sorry.

Out of the options:

-brownstones is ok for us locals, but pretty esoteric (longridge is a lot better, do you go there at all?)

-Woodwell's good, but most people will have been there at least once at wouldn't go there for a meet.

-Stanage, too quiet.  Plus most of the people in this forum probably have 'a meet' in the peak a few times a week.

-Caley, amazing venue, but not v nice in summer it gets really sweaty, and it's very dependant on being dry at other times.  Plus anyone who lives in Yorkshire, Lancashire (inc Mcr) can easily just go for the day so might not be overly keen for a weekend meet.

-North Wales - some forum dwellers live there, but a lot don't so is probably the best choice with a wide range of venues and problems.

There's quite a big difference between the choices of brownstones and North Wales, one's a small quarry the other's a massive area with loads of venues.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#6 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 02:07:51 pm
yeah, I'd go for N Wales as well, specially as the stuff I've seen photos of looks ill, plus I've been dying to go and explore for a while but for a number of reasons (laziness, bad weather when I do finally get off backside and organise something) it ain't happened.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#7 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 02:34:48 pm
There's quite a big difference between the choices of brownstones and North Wales, one's a small quarry the other's a massive area with loads of venues

but both are shit. so we may as well have the meet at hobson moor, must dash goin to be late gettin there

webbo

• forum hero
#8 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 02:40:28 pm
why has someone threatened to fill the chipped holds in.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#9 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 03:26:36 pm
Assuming I'll be climbing pain-free by whenever this happens, my vote has to go to N.Wales. I do like Brownstones but it's my local so for a meet I'd prefer to go somewhere new. Been to the peak loads as well, and yorkshire's pretty close too. I've hardly bouldered in Wales at all, and some of the pics look great. I'd also love to check out St Bees sometime, or somewhere in scotland - though I'm not sure I could cope with the midgies in summer.

Andi, while it would be nice to see some of the harder projects around here get climbed, I'm sure they will sooner or later. There's plenty of local talent - Parry, Vickers, Pasquil, Jordan etc. Plus I'm quite happy to save up the lines for myself and work em one by one.  :wink: I've got quite a large list now. And I know a few people who are interested in having a go - though of course I haven't told anybody about the best ones. And assuming I'm still around this summer, we can make a video ourselves - might not have a proper camcorder, but the video function on my brother's is fine for the web...

So I'm curious, who else voted for Brownstones then?

AndyR

• forum hero
#10 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 04:47:52 pm
Quote from: "r-man"

So I'm curious, who else voted for Brownstones then?

Ahem  :oops:

I only voted 'cos I've got some old fridges I need to get rid of.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 where would you rather go?
May 27, 2005, 07:20:00 pm

no, had to top the graffiti up a bit was fading

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 where would you rather go?
May 30, 2005, 08:53:28 am
Quote from: "r-man"
or somewhere in scotland - though I'm not sure I could cope with the midgies in summer.

Robin, the East Coast is relatively unaffected by midgies, so if you ventured up here, you clould always head East. Nothing world class, but if you are used to lancashire quarries, you wont be disappointed. Could head to Northumberland, then Glen Clova, Portlethen, Cummingston, with a couple of secret spots in between.

EDIT Developed an excellent wee bouldering spot on the beach at Banff on Sunday. Rowie and I have done a dozen or so nice problems there now, grades VB-V4 (ish) and a couple of projects to get back to with an extra mat and spotter or two.

God knows what the rock is, something sedimentary, but it's excellent quality, with pebble beach or rock platform landings. (apart from one small section which is soft and sandy).

No idea if they have been done before, but can find no records, and some brittle edges seem to imply not. Photos will follow.

webbo

• forum hero
#13 where would you rather go?
June 01, 2005, 09:19:10 am
Quote from: "a dense loner"

no, had to top the graffiti up a bit was fading

were you lowery in another life.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal