technical > photography

Digital Camcorder?

(1/4) > >>

vivahate:
Hey,

Im looking to get a digital camcorder to film some climbing. Based on your experience, what should I go for, 3CCD or miniDV. Obviously 3CCD is much better quality, but costs loads. What cameras do beardown e.t.c. use?? Any tips would be great.
thanks

Obi-Wan is lost...:
What do you want to do with it?
If you main output is movies for the web, theres not point in getting a pricey one, your throwing all your quality away when you compress it to web format.

Only get a good one if your seriously thinking about trying to make money from it, if this is the case, I doubt your instantly going to become a pro-videographer, so get a cheap one practice for a couple of years and get a HD one when the prices have dropped a bit. these are the first on the market and even these are only semi-pro cos they don't have XLR mic inputs.

What is your budget? You can spend £300 to £3000+
if you've money to burn these are nice Canon XM2 (we've got the old version XM1 at work)

However, if your starting out, one of theseCanon MV800 and spending about the same on extra batteries, a decent tripod, monopod and couple of decent mics (tie clip radio maybe? and/or boom with wind cover) is probably a better investment to start out with.

Basically you won't go far wrong with any MiniDV camera from Canon, Sony or Panasonic, get what you can afford, but don't bother remortgaging the house cos they depreciate the same speed as laptops.

dave:
panasonic now do a 3CCD camera for like about £400, gotta be better that a normal miniDV.

Obi-Wan is lost...:

--- Quote from: "dave" ---panasonic now do a 3CCD camera for like about £400, gotta be better that a normal miniDV.
--- End quote ---

Agreed, do you mean this one? Looks good, only got 'DV out' though, and 'DV in' can be useful for putting stuff back onto tape during editing if you haven't got a huge hard drive or DVD writer.

dave:
i may have been thinking of this one. think they've got a few like that now, all pretty cheap i recon. agree you want DV in though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version