UKBouldering.com

bouldering near gloucester? (Read 3294 times)

kraftyone

bouldering near gloucester?
April 25, 2005, 09:13:27 pm
Just a little bit of advice required please....

After my accomadation falling through in sheffield this coming weekend (bloody students doing finals - *ducks*) i am stuck in gloucester. Can anyone suggest any decent bouldering spots within reasonable driving distance?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 bouldering near gloucester?
April 26, 2005, 08:04:32 am
decent, no. But there are a couple of traverses on ok limestone at a place called Haresfield Beacon which, if I recall, is sort of Stroud way. Best to get the OS Map (or have a look at one in Cotswold). Park at Parking Area, and there is one of those things telling you what you can see in each direction (whatever they are called). Walk south through a nice grassy field until you see a fence on the left. Skirt this on the left side and you will find a limestone wall bay, and a lower wall with a good traverse. I know these diections are pants, but its about 4 years since I was last there. I'm sure there was an article in High about some stuff in the Forest of Dean, otherwise there is Bathford, near Bath (ssh) and Ladye Bay near Portishead.

JR

• forum abuser
#2 bouldering near gloucester?
April 26, 2005, 09:21:26 am
well sheffield 's exam period doesnt start till 26th MAy in my world!

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#3 bouldering near gloucester?
April 26, 2005, 01:50:53 pm
The Peak. Its only a couple of hours drive and the days are lovely and long now.

andy bowie

• regular
#4 bouldering near gloucester?
April 26, 2005, 02:28:13 pm
used to live in cheltenham and never found anywhere meaningful to go during the week. staffordshire grit i guess is the closest great bit of rock (what about south wales / gower bouldering? this should at least be the same travel time but never been there)

stiff147

#5 bouldering near gloucester?
April 26, 2005, 02:37:23 pm
if you dont mind crappy rock - cleeve hill is ok for an evening - castle rock is a bit polished and slimy to say the least but if you walk right of the crag (as you face it) for 500m or so there are some ok little outcrops (beyond the mini valley - basically cont. along road/track) - but dont get your hopes up!

kraftyone

#6 bouldering near gloucester?
April 26, 2005, 06:16:15 pm
thanks for the help everyone... looks like a long(ish) drive is in order... just hope the weather inproves. In reply to JR, the medics seem to have their exams sooner, still no excuse in my book though. As for the gower/s wales, i hope there's something half decent down that way, i'll be living there in septemeber!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 bouldering near gloucester?
April 27, 2005, 08:36:04 am
checkit http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/swbouldering/

Although the surfing is better than the bouldering.

KH

• addict
#8 bouldering near gloucester?
April 27, 2005, 11:04:38 pm
If you come down to South Wales, the main place to boulder is Kennelgarth Cave at Dinas Rock.  There's some bouldering on the Gower, but not too much is documented.  There's some bouldering near Fox Hole which is supposed to be good, but I've yet to visit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal