UKBouldering.com

Rubicon conditions reports (Read 332611 times)

haydn jones

• forum hero
#900 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 15, 2014, 02:19:50 pm
A little water ain't gonna keep me from climbing.  (:

simon40

• player
  • Sport climber, too weak to boulder
#901 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 17, 2014, 05:05:42 pm
Today there is water from the foot bridge all the way to salar lapping the walls. Have in the past talked with bmc about working with the land owner to try and work together to stop this happening so often, although they didnt appear to have much motivation to take it on. I would rant on about them buying horse shoe but wont

danm

• junky
#902 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 17, 2014, 05:59:12 pm
I'll have a word Simon and see what the score is - there is a good chance that the lack of motivation from the BMC is related to the landowner not exactly being on board with having us climbing there. For my sins I've become a fan of bouldering at Rubicon since my first horror stricken visits, although I have to say that I save it for when the grit is fooked.

simon40

• player
  • Sport climber, too weak to boulder
#903 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 17, 2014, 06:46:52 pm
Yes recall them mentioning not wanting to upset owner although unless am mistaken dont some of my subs go towards access disputes and other after all arguably the most important thing, if we cant get to the crag we cant climb

danm

• junky
#904 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 10:52:51 am
Yes recall them mentioning not wanting to upset owner although unless am mistaken dont some of my subs go towards access disputes and other after all arguably the most important thing, if we cant get to the crag we cant climb

OK, done some digging. Details on the current access situation, and some info on the flooding issue can be found here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/viewcrag.aspx?id=559 Looks like the EA aren't likely to do anything, they're too busy sorting out flood defence for peoples homes. The landowner doesn't want us there anyway, so they aren't going to sign up to us building some kind of flood defence, which I'm doubtful would be permissible given the nature of the site (SSSI etc).  :sorry:

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#905 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 11:29:16 am

The access situation in WCJ is very tenuous with landowners on the south (rubicon) side wanting no climbing on their land full stop. The BMC is working very hard to try and resolve these issues, but there's no magic wand. It's private land with no rights of access. Based on the fact that climbers are not allowed full stop, trying to get the land owners to agree to improving physical access for climbers during flooding periods seems a little optimistic.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#906 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 11:35:16 am
Have in the past talked with bmc about working with the land owner to try and work together to stop this happening so often, although they didnt appear to have much motivation to take it on.

Access in this area is extremely delicate and both BMC employees and volunteers give up a lot of time to maintaining it.  Be under no illusions, both the fishing club and the DWT would happily ban climbing in this area - in fact in the last few years they have made moves towards doing so. Rubicon would likely not be affected due to it's position on the path (note a permissive footpath, not public ROW). But they are not the friendly folk who would happily lower water levels so we can climb more.

I would rant on about them buying horse shoe but wont....
unless am mistaken dont some of my subs go towards access disputes

FYI Horseshoe was bought for a peppercorn sum. You clearly feel you are not getting value for money for access work in the Peak? I'd suggest if so you need to educate yourself on the work that gets done or volunteer some time yourself. The Peak access team are currently looking for someone to help with the limestone area.

tomtom

• forum hero
#907 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 11:51:01 am
Don't forget that Rubicon wouldn't be there if it weren't for that darn pesky river that sometimes has the audacity to (ahem) flood... ;)

andy_e

• forum hero
#908 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 11:53:09 am
a peppercorn sum

How many fuck-alls is a peppercorn sum?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures

danm

• junky
#910 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 12:11:45 pm
Maybe we're going the wrong way with this. If we sneakily dig out the floor and remove the soil in Great Escape fashion, we get longer problems when it's dry and some DWS when it floods  :great:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#911 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 12:28:14 pm
a peppercorn sum

About 4 if I recall correctly.

SamT

• forum hero
#912 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 01:46:33 pm
Don't forget that Rubicon wouldn't be there if it weren't for that darn pesky river that sometimes has the audacity to (ahem) flood... ;)

And it wouldn't flood if those pesky victorians hadn't built that mill/weir.

It never used to flood this often back in the day.  I was talking to a local walking her a couple of years back and she reckoned one of the locals used to potter about and maintain the level on the sluice.  He's long gone apparently and thus the sluice is never seasonally adjusted.

I also think that now the tunnels are open, the importance of a connecting path from cresbrook to litton, in terms of walkers etc, has lessened, and there will be less pressure on the fishing club to maintain it which is worrying in itself.

I've spoken to a few of the fishermen in recent years whilst at rubicon and they've never been anything other than friendly/chatty/encouraging etc.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#913 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 02:03:04 pm
a peppercorn sum

About 4 if I recall correctly.

Really? Not as steep as I thought

abarro81

• forum hero
#914 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 02:22:03 pm
Seb G said the flooding is all about the sluice and that balls.. Apparently there was one year where of broke or something, and voila, no floods.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#915 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 02:43:03 pm
Does seem that all that would be required was adjustment of the sluice gate to at least help, I can't imagine the flooding is useful for the wildlife/river banks/fisherpeople either?  I think the broken gate issue is mentioned in the intro to the older Northern Limestone, and is the period where a lot of the routes on Moat Buttress got done as you could walk to them.

I am always amazed that given the membership cost, £900 a year (in effect 6 months due to season length) or a bargainous £50 a day I have never seen that many people fishing.  If I paid £900 for a 6 month pass at the wall I would feel the need to be there every day to justify the expense.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#916 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 02:50:31 pm
Think you need to check your maths but fly fishing on well kept rivers is expensive.  I was quoted £125 for a day ticket for the Dove this summer.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#917 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 02:54:16 pm
cough

£50 is still a bargain

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#918 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 02:56:22 pm
Think you need to check your maths but fly fishing on well kept rivers is expensive.  I was quoted £125 for a day ticket for the Dove this summer.
Math is fine I wasn't dividing 900 by anything to get the 50, 50 is the separate day ticket price (for a restricted section of the river).  Clearly fishing (perhaps in part due to my vegetarianism) holds little appeal to me, thus I struggle to see the rational to pay (what seems to me) a lot to do it.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#919 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 02:57:43 pm
I would also have thought a well kept river wouldn't keep flooding so badly, presumably carrying 'stock' downstream?

tomtom

• forum hero
#920 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 03:13:16 pm

I would also have thought a well kept river wouldn't keep flooding so badly, presumably carrying 'stock' downstream?

Rivers should really not be 'kept'... And yes the dam, weir and mill race etc all alter the river (look at the sedimentation in the pond behind the weir). But flooding is a natural event that plays an important role in supplying nutrients and sediments to areas outside of the channel on the floodplain - and maintains a diversity of habitat that is generally considered a good thing by all except fishermen, people wanting to use the path and maybe a few climbers :)

Not to mention the water will flush away the dog/human turds at the base of the cliff :)

It's probably piss wet through and seeping anyway :)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#921 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 03:16:19 pm
the well flooded mill pond does a great job of preventing stock from being carried downstream innit?

the fish in there are as likely to use high water levels to move up stream as they are to move down

it is a well behaved river - relatively slow to rise and fall with rainfall and plenty of spots for fish to shelter in during the highest water levels

fishing is a hobby as pointless as any other hobby

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#922 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 03:17:05 pm
I bet all this guff is messing up some folks' twitter feeds

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#923 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 03:51:20 pm
I bet all this guff is messing up some folks' twitter feeds

It's hard. To be angry. When the topic is so informative

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#924 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 18, 2014, 04:33:01 pm
Not arf Lagers.... Would never normally look on here but the mere mention of the word fishing and I was here like a shot...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal