UKBouldering.com

Peak area meeting (Read 14632 times)

RopeBoy

• menacing presence
#25 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 03:00:39 pm
Quote from: "grimer"
Were the chippings at Curbar a BMC initiative then??

No, don't know who did that.

From the house on the corner, I think they had some left over from something and kindly put them down.

Blimey, it looks like it could be quite busy tomorrow evening, I might actually not nod off like usual, which is one of the reasons I stopped going.

Perhaps someone should warn them that there might be a good turn out, they won't be expecting that! :-)

J

cofe

• forum hero
#26 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 03:04:26 pm
Quote from: "dave"
Quote from: "cofe"
can we some other people off here coming along then? apparently there's free slop n shit and people obviously have opinions on here which might, only might, be worth airing.

if thats an offer of a lift then i'm there.

you and your big mouth eh?

rearrange this sentence: not no it's.

reckon it's your turn to drive son, now you've acquired the gift...

come on y'all. strength in numbers.

grimer

• forum hero
#27 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 03:07:02 pm
Blimey, it looks like it could be quite busy tomorrow evening, I might actually not nod off like usual, which is one of the reasons I stopped going.

Oh yes, i feel honour bound to remind everyone of the word committe in the title, and not to expect to be having a great time or anything. And Gary Griswald is doing a slideshow after.

dave

#28 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 03:08:45 pm
soz ard, our motor is doing an exon valdez, so till monday its dry-docked.

cofe

• forum hero
#29 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 03:09:37 pm
we don't play by your rules grimer-san. submit with honour to a duel.

i love photos of quarries.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#30 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 03:09:51 pm
Rather than banning people from the whole crag, wouldn't it be easier just to cordon off areas that are getting a makeover - it would only be the base of certain boulders wouldn't it? I'm sure if there was a little sign up giving the reason why it was being done then most people would respect it wouldn't they?

This would also have the advantage of reaching people who weren't aware of the ban - not everyone surfs the climbing forums or reads the mags.

Just an idea.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#31 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 03:11:11 pm
Not sure if anyone read any of it but I put a few links on the rock treatment idea on this thread. http://ukbouldering.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3841
 Might be worth a look if you don't know much about the ins and outs of stone consolidants.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#32 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 03:11:17 pm
I'm going to make the effort, I've felt like I should for a while.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#33 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 03:24:13 pm
wouldn't it be easier just to cordon off areas that are getting a makeover

That was the idea wasn't it? Though I think banning deliverance for a year could be more difficult than I'd like....

If Ru will be there does that mean we can have a serious debate entitled:

"Give the yanks the V and bring the font to the front"

on the future of bouldrin grades in the uk.
All those in favour say "aye"

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#34 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 03:41:15 pm
Oui

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#35 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 04:27:25 pm
reckon I'll try and get down...

on the pebble issue, what about filling the ground in / re-turfing?

Alongside a moritorium on use, might help?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#36 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 04:52:05 pm
What about a rotating 'no climb' zone?  The ring ouzle thing was well respected.

Graeme

• menacing presence
#37 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 05:12:21 pm
Which areas are actually banned at Stanage then, with regards to the Ring Ouzel

andy bowie

• regular
#38 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 05:27:24 pm
how much did popular boulders recover in the summer of foot and mouth? i wasn't climbing at the time so didn't notice. was there a discernable impact? for any meaningful ban would we be looking at least a couple of years?
Having a rotating ban would increase the concentration on other areas?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#39 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 07:13:47 pm
I'm not convinced much did happen during F 'n M. If you don't visit a grit crag between feb and may the bracken growth will always be surprising. Besides, rampant bracken isn't great from an ecological point of view.

What I would suggest is a very localised programme of trying to restore topsoil and grass. The Deliverance face of the Pebble is the obvious candidate - in the last 8 years it has lost nearly a foot of soil, and at least 25 sq yds of grass. The key is to restore the vegetation which binds the ground. Once it goes the soil/ gravel below just get washed away.

Just targeting the worst areas, one at a time, wouldn't have much effect on the climbing. Across the peak, it might mean 10 or so problems, on one or two boulders, out of action each year. Inevitably this would include at least one classic. Again, using the pebble as an example, you wouldn't even need to ban the whole block. Too much to ask? Nah... I reckon it needs a break. Might help people find other classics too

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#40 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 08:12:07 pm
What about drainage gutters or pipes to stop big puddles forming in places like the remergence block? They could be buried and completely invisible - my next door neighbour has some sort of drainage system under his lawn and his grass is never boggy.  :idea:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#41 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 09:43:48 pm
Quote from: "Graeme"
Which areas are actually banned at Stanage then, with regards to the Ring Ouzel

I couldn't find the info on thebmc.co.uk, but I believe it's only areas on the far right...ie round to the right of Hamper's Hang, etc.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#42 Peak area meeting
April 13, 2005, 11:36:27 pm
I'm only a punter, but as an (ex) fisherman (they traditionally have a "closed season" on the rivers) I'd be totally down with a 3-6 month ban on the gritstone (I mean it's hardly worth the effort between May and October anyway. Is it?).

It would give every(grit)where a chance to recuperate. Maybe longer is favourable on certain problems?

I would certainly support it and I know a few who would as well.

Looking forward to hearing the results of tomorrows meeting, wish I was there!

STS

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#43 Peak area meeting
April 14, 2005, 04:26:00 am
I'm all in favour of selective voluntary bans to allow some regeneration of stuff but I can already hear the howls of 'elitist' protest from the punters who go bouldering on the grit on sunny June days and think that good conditions are all about shoe rubber sticking to the rock... I'd like to see a good turf job under deliverance and the business boulder pour example..

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#44 Peak area meeting
April 14, 2005, 08:40:54 am
Right, I'm having transport difficulties, is anyone going to the meeting from Manchester??

Selective voluntary bans sound a good idea, coupled with a bit of restorative work, resoiling, replanting grasses etc.

dave

#45 Peak area meeting
April 14, 2005, 08:49:40 am
i don't see the sense in a blanket ban on all grit - what would be the point of that? Nothing like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

grimer

• forum hero
#46 Peak area meeting
April 14, 2005, 08:51:01 am
If you're going, just letting you know, John Horscroft chairs it. There are two older fellas there usually, Dave Bishop, who is the access rep for Staffordshire, and Hot Henry Folkard, who does stuff around here. These two are awesome. Hot Henry is a one man army against bird and other restrictions, and Dave is convinced that the massive rise in foothold erosion in Newstones etc is down to wire brushing etc. If it's your first visit, in a large grey room full of babble, these are a couple of peole worth listening to.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#47 Peak area meeting
April 14, 2005, 08:56:00 am
Not a ban on all grit, just the bits that need erosion repair.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#48 Peak area meeting
April 14, 2005, 09:05:31 am
Quote from: "Falling Down"
but I can already hear the howls of 'elitist' protest from the punters who go bouldering on the grit on sunny June days and think that good conditions are all about shoe rubber sticking to the rock

They just need to be educated that it's nothing to do with elitism - they'll be as pissed as everyone else if the place is totally trashed in a few years time. And winter isn't a good time for plant growth so it realistically needs to be in the spring and summer.

I think selective bans is a great idea - surely people can live without Deliverance for a season?

The Peak Park(?) and similar bodies must have some pretty good idea of what it takes for ground to regenerate, as they've been diverting footpaths to allow the ground to repair for donkey's.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#49 Peak area meeting
April 14, 2005, 09:45:10 am
I'd guess that a turf 'graft' from a suitably similar location or re-seeding with trample resistant species (rather than the native veg) might be the way forward. At least that seems to be what i've seen done around eroded footpaths in the past.I think it could be quite hard to get a stable soil structure, integrated with the surrounding area and resistant to erosion. Having said that i've also seen meshing used before (at Harsison's I think) to hold together soil structure.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal