UKBouldering.com

Most overrated bands/artists (Read 120628 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#25 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 05:38:01 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
Norah Jones is ok...

Are you f*cking kidding?? Snorah Jones more like it... jesus Bubbs you ought to stand in front of a mirror and say 'I like Norah Jones' and see how humiliated you look.. you ought to be ashamed of yourself!  :D

As Lee once said to Lance (Harry Enfield) 'Have you been talking to a bird again'?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 05:44:00 pm
:lol:

I must admit I've only listened to her once about 5 years ago so I might be mistaken. I promise to pay the penance of listening to a fully Katie Melua album ;)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#27 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 05:46:11 pm
:lol:

I must admit I've only listened to her once about 5 years ago so I might be mistaken. I promise to pay the penance of listening to a fully Katie Melua album ;)

And watch Love Actually on DVD afterwards...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#28 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 06:17:22 pm
I'm probably going to take a slagging for this but there seems to be a stack of "Great New Rock Bands" that are totally interchangeable at the moment. Spot the difference;

Razorlight
Libertines
Kasabian
Killers
Kaiser Chiefs

'cos I cant.

BoulderHog

• addict
#29 Most overrated bands/artists
March 29, 2005, 09:34:40 pm
I agree with that, the Killers are ok though, but why should they be successful when Shed 7 never were? Since they are virtually the same thing. Razorlight are disposable crap, one listen wonders, and the lead singer is a twat "I had a heroin addiction, I was so middle class . . . " Blah blah pretentious trouble maker wannabe bullshiter.

I'm coming to the defence of Faithless, it was the only tape I had when I went travelling a few years back -  I went two weeks without speaking to another soul at one point, it was either silence or faithless, so I grew to like them, possibly I made the wrong decision.

Coldplay were good once, before they disappeared up there own (or Paltrow's) arse (same thing happened to Oasis after definately maybe, and happened to Razorlight before they even started).

Snow patrol should be shot for being so unbearably dull along with Elvis Costello and Eric Clapton.

Ian Brown is pretty crap, but it doesn't stop me buying everything he makes, I'm still a believer despite all the evidence against.

Robbie Williams is too crap to mention, so I won't, instead I think Paul Weller should get the award for being the biggest waste of space on the planet - spewing out the same age old hippy shit again and again, resembling a prize Christmas Turkey (christmas 1991), with no stuffing. Any band that have wedged themselves up his crack should also be heartily punished - ocean colour scene for example, and no, the day we caught the train was amazingly crap a single, if you like it, just go listen to it again and notice it's actually just bland formulaic bollocks (don't forget to wash your Ben Sherman shirt while you're at it) - The ultimate 'lads' band, and the lead singer was gay, classic stuff, strangely doesn't sit well when your core fan base is the biggest group of lager drinking homophobes in England.

I'm trying to think of a band that are actually any good, all I can come up with are from 1980's/90's. No wonder people download music for free, it's all f*cking shite.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#30 Most overrated bands/artists
March 30, 2005, 08:39:03 am
Some of the people listed go beyond being overrated and enter the "crimes against music" category. 6 worst offenders;

Celine Dion
Mariah Carey
Phil Collins
Robbie Williams
Elton John
Mick Hucknall

cofe

• forum hero
#31 Most overrated bands/artists
March 30, 2005, 09:25:41 am
Quote from: "nik at work"
And all jazz 'greats' (with the exception of the one guy who is ace who I can't remember the name of)

herbie hancock. very good.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#32 Most overrated bands/artists
March 30, 2005, 10:58:50 am
Errm, Miles Davis is kinda quite good too :lol:

AndyR

• forum hero
#33 Most overrated bands/artists
March 30, 2005, 12:14:41 pm
Quote from: "nik at work"
....And all jazz 'greats' ....

Come now, John Coltrane is a god.

underground

• forum hero
#34 Most overrated bands/artists
March 30, 2005, 12:27:22 pm
It's all getting a bit Zane Lowe in here.... I think everyone's forgetting a fundamental reason why the likes Dido, that cunt Williams, Faithless and the millions of other utterly wank 'artists' are so popular.

Because the vast majority of the general fucking public are mindless wankers who can't think for themselves. They don't really like music, and wouldn't know decent stuff if it bit them on the arse.

Lighthouse Family, M People, U2, Phil Collins, all totally predictable, unchallenging, droning, safe. None of it gets in the way of thinking about football and shopping for a widescreen.

Anyway, talking of U2- I had a MRI scan recently and it's very noisy inside the machine, so patient has to wear ear defenders..... cos I'm all posh and that I went private, so MY MRI machine had ear defenders that played music.... yep, the entire new U2 album, overlaid with some mad banging techno being created by the machinery. And I couldn't move an inch. Or see anything other than the white plastic of the tube I was in.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#35 Most overrated bands/artists
March 30, 2005, 12:32:28 pm
Sounds like fun :shock:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#36 Most overrated bands/artists
March 30, 2005, 12:40:58 pm
I'd sue their ass for that sort of abuse :shock:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#37 Most overrated bands/artists
March 30, 2005, 12:50:50 pm
Quote from: "underground"
It's all getting a bit Zane Lowe in here.... I think everyone's forgetting a fundamental reason why the likes Dido, that cnut Williams, Faithless and the millions of other utterly wank 'artists' are so popular.

Because the vast majority of the general fucking public are mindless wankers who can't think for themselves. They don't really like music, and wouldn't know decent stuff if it bit them on the arse.

Lighthouse Family, M People, U2, Phil Collins, all totally predictable, unchallenging, droning, safe. None of it gets in the way of thinking about football and shopping for a widescreen.

aye, but what about the flipside - the vast amount of ear-bleedingly unlistenable, 'experimental' atonal cack that frequently makes it into the 'muso' fraternity's top 100 lists?

I'm thinking Spiritualized, Blur's post-"Song 2" period and come to think of it Pink Floyd (am I the only one who finds Dark Side total shite?), is that you slouching at the back?

Case in point (and my particular soap-box): Radiohead.

The Bends? Yes please, stick it on!

OK Computer (or anything since that)? Hmmm, think I'd rather stick a fork in my ear.

n.b. IMHO

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#38 Most overrated bands/artists
March 30, 2005, 07:40:51 pm
WO WO WO stop right there, ok I have to say everything I have read until the last post was utterly agreable and more like music to my ears than anything in the charts at the moment, but pink flyod and radiohead are both awesome bands in my humble opinion.
I want bono to F**K OFF and DIE in a small hole, especialy for trivialising the cause for aid with his sell to the masses attitude, WANK@R.
The other thing i didn't agree with was the ac/dc critic, sorry man but they have been doing some of the best rock music consistently for not long enough.
50 cent I'll take you to the candy shop, I'll have you know sir that I will be going no such place with you or "snoop doggy dog" or farrel or anyone else whom owns a medalion that spins around in the middle, and feels the need to wear sweat bands when undertaking no physical activity, that stuff  all sounds the same, base beat with electronic noise over the top SHI"
I hold the deepest and most fervent contempt for the scissor sisters, they are bad enough without covering Comfortably numb the bastards.
Limp bizkit linkin park Pod (not the climbing brand) and all other so called "nu metal acts" deserve to be flayed.
Oh yeah keane aswell while we're on, they wrote one song liked the sound of it and decided to make everything else sound just like it the lack of originiality in their song writing makes me want to hurt small animals.
I could go on all day but I'll stop there

dave

#39 Most overrated bands/artists
March 30, 2005, 11:29:37 pm
just spent 20 minutes typing about all the music i hate, then accidentally deleted it all. Good job really as i was only half way through the list. basically i hate all whiney spoilt middle-class suicide heroin guitar shit (coldplay, travis, radiohead, etc), I hate robbie, the darkness, 50cent, eminem, Mcfly, outkast, any many more....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#40 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 07:39:45 am
Awww, I like Outkast, they're funny....and Eminem has his moments....I just wish he'd stop churning out the same old "my mummy hated me" stuff over and over again.

nik at work

• forum hero
#41 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 08:04:10 am
Re Jazz: Miles Davis was the bod I was thinking of, although to be fair I'm not a fan of the genre at all so I will concede that the others named may have had their moments, just out of ear-shot.

Have to agree with the "Radiohead up to the bends were excellent, OK computer was the start of terminal decline though" sentiment.

Pink Floyd are great, anyone who says otherwise doesn't deserve ears.

AC/DC, like I said, lots of people love this lot, I don't. I consider this to be one of my big agree to differ moments with society at large. Tiddly pom.

Has Chris De Burgh been mentioned yet, my mum loves him. Surely this is evidence that I was adopted if nothing else.

Did I mention that the sissor sisters are criminally bad?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#42 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 09:39:59 am
Quote from: "underground"
Anyway, talking of U2- I had a MRI scan recently

Perhaps the peeps in charge all hate U2 as well, I mean who's going to listen to their U2 album again if it reminds them of their MRI scan??

AndyR

• forum hero
#43 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 11:01:25 am
Quote from: "dave"
... basically i hate all whiney spoilt middle-class suicide heroin guitar shit (..... radiohead, etc)..

Think we'll have to agree to differ on this - nothing like radiohead to polarise the listeners (personally, I think they are evidence of at least some intelligence in modern music...).

Can we all get back to singing from the same hymn sheet? Can we restart with Cliff godbotherer Richard and Tom Jones? Hate, hate, hate....

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#44 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 11:56:37 am
I'm down with that: fuck Cliff Richard...and Bryan Adams as well.

(I've never got the fuss over AC/DC either - that band is just a tedious playground joke, moronic cartoon metal for rebellious Status Quo fans....'for those about to rock'...oh, just fuck off. :roll:)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#45 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 12:16:39 pm
Aaagh! Bryan Adams and Status Quo - good nominations.

Also going into my overrated pot are REM, Queen (sorry Dave), Elvis and Frank Sinatra...

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#46 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 01:21:21 pm
With regard to Elvis: I would draw the court's attention to Suspicious Minds - truly a redemption for past sins, even if we consider all those terrible films in the 60s.

I used to think REM were alright, but I was driving along listening to Automatic for the People the other day and I suddenly realised what a load of twee, lightweight bollocks it all was. I turned it off and put on Sweet Thing by Van Morrison - felt a lot better then.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#47 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 01:27:15 pm
Oh aye, Elvis certainly did some good stuff, I just don't get the whole worship thing he seems to get....and wtf is up with all those impersonators.

Oooh, here's another one....Madonna.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#48 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 03:14:08 pm
Oooh, here's another one....Madonna.

I had a crush on her during her 'Like a Prayer' days - all those curly brown locks and loose bra straps brrrr.... she's a right hound now though.

Here's another one.. Madness, or where they just plain old sh*t?

Metallica - worshiped like the godz of metal and all they've done is one OK album about 18 years ago.

On the jazz tip... some _might_ say that Miles is overated, I mean aside from Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew and maybe Dark Magus.. what else did he do that's worth listening to repeatedly?

ian h

• forum abuser
#49 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 03:16:50 pm
my mate has a good tribute site to bryan adams , the video is a pretty good piss take

http://www.runtoyou.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal