UKBouldering.com

Cleaning / brushing Peak grit (Read 3232 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Cleaning / brushing Peak grit
March 23, 2005, 12:13:56 pm
Alright, was after a bit of consensus on this one...

If I was thinking of developing some gritstone that has moss / lichen all over it, what's the best approach to take?

What's the sketch with brushes and that - wire not OK?

Obviously, I don't want to mess the rock up but if I can find / clean up something alright I'd be happy.

Cheers in advance.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Cleaning / brushing Peak grit
March 23, 2005, 04:36:17 pm
Got to williamsion hardware* in Broomhill and buy two brushes  - a wooden scrubbing brush and a 'vegetable' brush. Both feature bristles made from....

..wait for it...

....WOOD!!!!!! Genius - its tougher than lichen yet weaker than rock!!!!

Step two, go up on a shit damp day when the lichen is turgid with water. Brush all the obvious stuff off with your large brush, then return on a dry day, finish off with the small brush, then you can chalk up etc. Go easy though, if the rock is changing colour you're overdoin it.

*nb may be available elsewhere

clm

• forum hero
#2 Cleaning / brushing Peak grit
March 23, 2005, 05:24:50 pm
weedkiller?

only jokin

dave

#3 Cleaning / brushing Peak grit
March 23, 2005, 09:48:33 pm
ditto strong lass, those wooden bristle brushes are diggity-dope. I got mine from morrisons at hillsbro barrax, but have seen same in williamsons.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 Cleaning / brushing Peak grit
March 24, 2005, 09:26:19 am
Am also onto the wooden scrubbing brush ting. Got mine in Ireland. Works a treat on moss and greeness. Have not had cause to try it on the real hardfast white, brown and black lichens which are the real test of a brushes effectiveness though.
 Also effective is a bottle of water and a stiff plastic brush. Leaving chalk on lichen will act as weedkiller as it drastically changes the PH. Both require patience and more than 1 visit.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#5 Cleaning / brushing Peak grit
March 25, 2005, 09:39:00 pm
As I've mentioned before, I have had good results (i.e. effective, but minimal cleaning) with a ball of tight weave cotton. Sounds bizarre, but it works, especially with the addition of water.

One other thought - I would only clean up a heavily mossed/lichenous boulder if I was sure it would give a really classic problem. Sometimes it's better to just leave dirty rock untouched.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#6 Cleaning / brushing Peak grit
March 28, 2005, 08:49:02 pm
I've always found that 'Matey' bubble bath and a stout new brillo pad combine to give the most satisfying cleaning results.  Failing this, but only on the harshest 'illuminous' green lychen, should you resort to petrol.

tc

• junky
#7 Re: Cleaning / brushing Peak grit
April 29, 2016, 02:30:15 pm
Has anyone used "Wet & Forget - Moss Mould Lichen & Algae Remover"? The description says it's "Non-caustic, Non-acidic, Contains no bleach!, Biodegradable PH8 (Water PH7)"

I have a large lump of sandstone I'd like to clean.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Cleaning / brushing Peak grit
May 02, 2016, 08:53:36 am
I may have, can't remember.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal