the shizzle > music, art and culture

Books...

<< < (420/430) > >>

Steve R:
Really enjoyed project hail Mary. Potentially suffered a bit of quest fatigue around the 2/3 mark but great moments and storytelling.  Very fun despite being so gosh darned American.

Also, thanks to this thread, just finished and really enjoyed any human heart by boyd. I think it's a book that will stay with me.

Just started Dune, have never read them before or seen the movies. So far it's just relentless dialogue so I'm wondering if it would work better as an audiobook? (Don't normally listen to audio books)

Duncan campbell:
I’ve read the Dune books, Steve - would probably be good as
Audio books but I find with listening to things I’m too easily distracted- worth sticking with the book if you can!!

On a side note - imagine most here will have read it but just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini… an incredible heartbreaking tale of two women in Afghanistan around the time before, during and after the first Taliban dictatorship. (If that’s what you would call it… government seems to democratic for what it was).

Lent to me by a friend but I never thought it looked like my thing, but very much enjoyed it and could barely put it down by the end.

Oldmanmatt:
Well, colour me surprised.

Despite being born in Torquay, enthusiastically watching Margret Rutherford bully her way around in black and white on wet Saturday afternoons (BBC 2) through the ‘70s, enjoying all the TV adaptations, along with the recent movies, and being an avid reader of almost any genre…

I’d never read a single Agatha Christie.

Then I watched Lucy Worsley on Agatha (actually the entire BBC catalogue of Worsley, in a few days. I might be a little bit smitten. Probably colour up and look at my feet if I ever actually met her).
Anyway, realised Christie was a far more interesting person than I’d thought, wondered about the much less frivolous tone of the new movies and bought a couple of the better know novels and…

So, one month and three days and 17 books later (when “the reading” descends upon me, something odd happens with time and an early night; in bed by 21:30 is suddenly 02:00 and angry realisation on work in the morning).

She’s really rather good. Patchy. But Five Little Pigs (amongst others) is a remarkable study in human nature.
I’d always imagined her to be wistful of the upper classes  and trite.
Oh boy! She does not like them at all.
Sharp, observant. Hidden perhaps by her language, to modern ears, but once you learn the cadence, follow her dance, you can tell when she is mocking society.

Anyway, I have another book to read.

Wellsy:
Roadside Picnic

Dead good, worth a read!

slab_happy:
Really need to read that one of these days -- I enjoyed Tarkovsky's Stalker, which is based on it, and a lot of work in the "humans try to engage with strange artifacts left by aliens" sub-genre. So at some point I know I have to go back to the source!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version