UKBouldering.com

Books... (Read 519880 times)

Wellsy

• forum hero
#1800 Re: Books...
November 17, 2022, 11:53:48 am
I read the Sunken Land too JB, enjoyed it. The marginal spaces (lovely way to describe) and strange wet, semi-wild, semi-delapidated elements of British urban spaces were described in beautifully evocative ways and it was definitely the highlight. There was a bit of a lack of a resolution but like you I feel like it was intentional, trying to create a feeling of lost incompleteness. Wouldn't recommend it to everyone but I liked it.

remus

• forum hero
#1801 Re: Books...
November 17, 2022, 02:58:16 pm
Also read Leo's book Closer to the Edge. With a Bear Grylls quote on the cover and a gushing foreword by Steve Backshall, I suspect a lot of climbers will pass this over as too mainstream. This would be a mistake. Although there is limited hold-by-hold accounts this is unapologetically a climbing book and lay readers would require heavy use of the glossary. The formative stuff, as you'd expect, is more interesting/ less 'normal' than I'd realised and is illuminating. Leo struck out on his own early and quickly the sheer volume of hard and big routes becomes staggering, to the point where whole expeditions are either left out or passed over in a paragraph. And the audacity of the objectives keeps ramping up; I think more detail on the difficulty of funding and preparing for the Antarctica trips could have been included but you get a picture. As Jim Perrin pointed out in Fawcett on Rock, it's one thing to compete with your peers but quite another to keep pushing when you've left them so far behind. The pacing is excellent and the writing is generally better than you might expect, especially given the limited editorial input he received. The ego is mostly in check although a couple of chapters do start by quoting himself, and the punctuation I found odd. But I think most climbers will enjoy it.

Thanks for the recommendation. You're right, I wouldn't have bothered, but it's on the list now.

andy_e

• forum hero
#1802 Re: Books...
November 17, 2022, 03:09:31 pm
I think the lack of resolution was definitely purposeful, to emphasise Shaw's grasp on the world- either disinterest, discontent, or a confused mixture of the two- and the weirdness so brilliantly dealt with that it becomes an integral irrelevance. Definitely his most complicated and nuanced, yet wonderfully detailed book to date. As someone who has read Climbers probably nearing the mid-double figures mark (welll, maybe not quite, but I must be averaging close to twice a year for 20 years), I sometimes wonder if I even prefer Sunken Land.

Interesting to read you think knowing those places helps somewhat JB, as London and Shropshire/Herefordshire/"the Provinces" are not places I know at all well, yet Mike's (Mike? I think I can call you that can't I? Without giving offence?) description of them binds fragments of imagery from various sources in a rich-hued matrix of words to provide a rock-solid sense of place and mental image.

I'm sure I've gone on at great length about both books at some point in the past on this thread. His short stories are incredible. The world-building from just a few sentences that he masters makes them an absolute joy to read.

owensum

• player
#1803 Re: Books...
November 17, 2022, 05:05:19 pm
OK, I'll be sure to be getting a hold of Sunken Land. I listened to a podcast with him talking about his views on writing, he deliberately rejects conventional narrative structures (which is plainly obvious in Light) and hates closure, hates having to be the one who is supposed to provide it. His main aim is to try and make you feel like you are there in the world he is describing.

andy_e

• forum hero
#1804 Re: Books...
November 17, 2022, 06:00:49 pm
Oooh can you post the link to that podcast please?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1806 Re: Books...
November 17, 2022, 07:46:07 pm
hates closure, hates having to be the one who is supposed to provide it

Ah thanks, well that explains that then. I’ll not hold my breath for an all-action sequel then (plot outline: a newly invigorated Shaw obsesses over Victoria’s disappearance and begins to piece things together, until finally, with Tim’s guidance, he builds a steampunk rebreather and dives into the watery upside-down for a showdown with the brummie-accented Demogorgon who has the women cocooned in Gregg’s place. Hasta la Vita!)

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1807 Re: Books...
November 17, 2022, 08:15:37 pm
Hadn't seen that before, amazing! And to have Fawcett and Pollitt on belay and photography duty, wow!

Harrison ghost-wrote "Fawcett on Rock", and there are a few passages in it which (for anyone who's read his novels) suddenly veer into pure Harrison; it's one of the book's many wonders,

JamieG

• forum hero
#1808 Re: Books...
November 17, 2022, 09:32:54 pm
how did we get from being animal to (modern) human

Working in the field of evolutionary biology, I find it helps to not try to make too many distinctions. We’re animals, albeit complex one. But there is not much (anything?) that we do that doesn’t occur in nature too.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1809 Re: Books...
November 18, 2022, 08:27:44 am
Hmmm, I’d say that depends on your definition of nature. Of course on a biological level we’re little different. On a consequential level though, those differences are clearly enormous. That we don’t have a great understanding of how such seemingly small differences can be so catastrophic isn’t unusual in science, Milanković cycles are an obvious analogy. The other angle is the hardware isn’t that different but the software upgrades are significant e.g. that which allowed us to communicate over distance and time. A computer not plugged into the internet is little different except in potential.

JamieG

• forum hero
#1810 Re: Books...
November 18, 2022, 08:58:43 am
I definitely agree. Small changes to a system can have crazy long term effects. I just think it’s easy to vilify modern life (and there is lots to vilify) and romanticise the natural world. That being said more spent in and near green spaces is known to have substantial benefits for all aspects of health. So we have definitely lost things as we have become modern humans. But also gained huge amounts too. Almost definitely too successful a species.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1811 Re: Books...
November 18, 2022, 05:30:45 pm
It's the 100th anniversary of Proust's death. Bravo Marcel!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1812 Re: Books...
November 18, 2022, 05:43:46 pm
It's the 100th anniversary of Proust's death. Bravo Marcel!

Surely the only fit way to celebrate that is to eat madeleines?

The sight of the little madeleine had recalled nothing to my mind before I tasted it.
Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

andy popp

• forum hero
#1813 Re: Books...
November 18, 2022, 05:59:07 pm
I shall celebrate by going to bed early, which I have done for a long time.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#1814 Re: Books...
December 12, 2022, 04:38:02 pm
Loving The Futurological Congress by Stanislaw Lem. Kind of Vonnegut/Burroughs,(William not Edgar Rice) meets Hunter S Thompson. Think this guy might have had something to do with sci-fi classic Solaris but too tired/lazy to check just now.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1815 Re: Books...
December 12, 2022, 06:46:13 pm
Yes Lem wrote the novel that was turned into the movie. Despite the film being one of my favourites, I tried and failed with The Futorological Congress, it felt all a bit out of control for me. Perhaps I should give it another go.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#1816 Re: Books...
December 13, 2022, 07:12:01 am
It certainly has a frantic vibe about it!
Had the book for a while on a friend's rec but kept off picking it up but when I finally did I couldn't put it down.

owensum

• player
#1817 Re: Books...
December 13, 2022, 03:25:39 pm
Check out The Cyberiad by Lem. It's basically Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy written twenty years before. I gotta think that Adams borrowed heavily from it, it's just too similar.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#1818 Re: Books...
December 14, 2022, 02:59:52 pm
I adore Solaris but typically have forgotten to ever check out anything else hes written. 3, 2, 1 ebay

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1819 Re: Books...
December 14, 2022, 06:52:36 pm
Jo Nesbø — Adam Ondra discussion. Mostly about climbing though...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1820 Re: Books...
December 28, 2022, 11:25:06 am
Can anyone think of any particularly funny books they’ve read recently - I’m thinking stuff that’s come out in the last ten years, possibly amusing genre stuff (I assume the recent Richard Osman things are gently amusing - I’ve not read any of them), but really more general “this is meant to be a funny book” vs “this is a xxx book that’s also quite funny”.

Anything from extremely low brow fiction written with the intention of luring men away from SAS memoirs at Luton airport Waterstones to more literary dark humour / satire…

Bob Mortimer’s The Satsuma Complex is the obvious current example.

I realise this is slightly asking people to spill the beans about their guilty pleasures* but seeing as pretty much everyone here has already detailed so much highbrow / scholarly material that I don’t think anyone (not least me) is going to be in any way judgemental!

(* I know an evolutionary biologist and author whose idea of idea of lightweight guilty pleasure is Patrick O’Brian.)

andy popp

• forum hero
#1821 Re: Books...
December 28, 2022, 11:34:20 am
Richard Russo's "Straight Man" is very funny; doesn't fit your timeframe (pub. 1997) but there will be a TV series next year, making it kind of current. It's a campus farce, almost in the mode of Tom Sharpe.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 11:58:45 am by andy popp »

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1822 Re: Books...
December 28, 2022, 11:56:26 am
Thanks Andy - that sounds like just the sort of thing. I should read some TS too - a friend was obsessed with his stuff but I never got around to it.)

It’s funny - I honestly struggle to remember almost anything that fits my description, partly because I’ve not sought out this sort of thing for a while, but also probably because whatever I did read a decade or more ago probably wasn’t that good. Magnus Mills (esp The Restraint of Beasts) is pretty much the only thing (and imagine getting a cover quote from Thomas Pynchon for your first novel!)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1823 Re: Books...
December 28, 2022, 01:18:02 pm
Can anyone think of any particularly funny books they’ve read recently - I’m thinking stuff that’s come out in the last ten years, possibly amusing genre stuff (I assume the recent Richard Osman things are gently amusing - I’ve not read any of them), but really more general “this is meant to be a funny book” vs “this is a xxx book that’s also quite funny”.

Anything from extremely low brow fiction written with the intention of luring men away from SAS memoirs at Luton airport Waterstones to more literary dark humour / satire…

Bob Mortimer’s The Satsuma Complex is the obvious current example.

I realise this is slightly asking people to spill the beans about their guilty pleasures* but seeing as pretty much everyone here has already detailed so much highbrow / scholarly material that I don’t think anyone (not least me) is going to be in any way judgemental!

(* I know an evolutionary biologist and author whose idea of idea of lightweight guilty pleasure is Patrick O’Brian.)

Stanley Tucci's autobiography Taste is, I thought excellent and I found it more funny than serious. Although certainly not laugh out loud funny, it's lightheaded in general and a good easy read.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1824 Re: Books...
December 28, 2022, 06:49:44 pm
A Confederacy of Dunces is funny.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal