UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 499789 times)

ali k

• junky
#1825 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 12, 2024, 09:27:30 pm
Colin From Accounts 2nd series up on BBC. Just as good as the first so far. Even a bouldering reference in the second episode.

SamT

• forum hero
#1826 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 12, 2024, 09:38:35 pm
Really enjoying Freddie Flintoff's Field of Dreams.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1827 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 13, 2024, 08:16:02 am
Colin From Accounts 2nd series up on BBC

Cheers for the reminder. I watched a episode on a flight to Oz last year, and meant to see if there was more to watch.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1828 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 17, 2024, 07:16:45 pm
Loved both of those. Along those veins I am also rather happy to hear Hit Monkey is due a second season on Disney+.
Just binged Hit Monkey S1. Feeling slightly bad that something so gory/nuts has had me laughing quite so much. Roll on S2.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#1829 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 18, 2024, 09:50:45 am
Indeed

seankenny

• forum hero
#1830 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 09, 2024, 08:28:37 pm
Tonight the BBC is airing, for only the fourth time, its early 1980s nuclear war film Threads. I saw this as a twelve year old* who was reasonably aware of The Bomb and it made a big impression - anyone who’s seen it will know what I mean! It’s a relentlessly realist, kitchen sink type drama - set in Sheffield - until half way through, when the missiles rain down and it turns into one horror after another. Obviously it is fairly low budget and old fashioned, but I’m not sure that really matters; it’s not as if you’re watching it for the special effects.

Don’t blame me if you feel a bit off afterwards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02kgkkg

* You probably shouldn’t let a twelve year old watch it.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#1831 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 09, 2024, 08:56:55 pm
Loved both of those. Along those veins I am also rather happy to hear Hit Monkey is due a second season on Disney+.
Just binged Hit Monkey S1. Feeling slightly bad that something so gory/nuts has had me laughing quite so much. Roll on S2.

Season 2 is here.......

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#1832 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 10, 2024, 12:18:42 am
Tonight the BBC is airing, for only the fourth time, its early 1980s nuclear war film Threads. I saw this as a twelve year old* who was reasonably aware of The Bomb and it made a big impression - anyone who’s seen it will know what I mean! It’s a relentlessly realist, kitchen sink type drama - set in Sheffield - until half way through, when the missiles rain down and it turns into one horror after another. Obviously it is fairly low budget and old fashioned, but I’m not sure that really matters; it’s not as if you’re watching it for the special effects.

Ok. I expected bleak from everything that had been said about this. Still wasn't prepared though...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1833 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 10, 2024, 04:10:35 am

I was pretty traumatised by this in the original airing.
That and reading “When the wind blows” (Briggs).

Would have been about twelve, I guess.

Ended up with a map on my bedroom wall, with blast radius’s and prevailing wind winds marked on it, around the St Mawgan RAF base. We were under the flight path for the Vulcan squadron and they were still low when they passed over the village on their practice scrambles. Scary as shit when you’re a kid, yet thrilling. Sky would go dark.

I admit, my parents had to explain the trading rats for sex scene.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1834 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 10, 2024, 02:15:08 pm
Amazing how much this has this has cropped up today, Facebook posts, Insta, Threads, amongst people of my generation. All very similar comments about being traumatised by it. A bit like mentioning that farm safety film “Apaches” (1970s, actually projected to primary school kids in village schools all over the country, with nightmares for weeks after. For me, especially the girl who drank the rat poison, screaming for her mother. Just an exterior shot of of a lit bedroom window, with a harrowing soundtrack).

SamT

• forum hero
#1835 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 10, 2024, 03:04:54 pm
My big sis was an extra in Threads..  one of the many running around the Moor in a panic I think.

Never saw the whole thing.. just had a skim watch...Not as bad on the 'effects' side of things as I imagined.. gets the message across.  With the state of world politics at the moment, I might just stick my fingers in my ears and shout lalala for a bit.

I remember that agricultrual safety video vividly too.. growing up in the countryside.. it was the kid drowning in the cowshit slurry that stuck in my mind.  :sick:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1836 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 10, 2024, 05:10:26 pm
Bits of Apaches are on youtube. Looks "fun".

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1837 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 10, 2024, 08:14:30 pm
There’s a good Twitter feed called “Scarred For Life” that covers all the 70’s terrifying kids stuff. The spirit of dark and lonely water and all that.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1838 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 10, 2024, 10:23:10 pm
I got shown Threads at  high school around 1989/90 I would have been about 12 or 13. Looking back it was kind of mental...

What the fuck were they thinking?!!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1839 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 11, 2024, 03:07:51 am
I got shown Threads at  high school around 1989/90 I would have been about 12 or 13. Looking back it was kind of mental...

What the fuck were they thinking?!!

Well, the world was in a death spiral, facing and existential threat to humanity, denialism and disinformation propaganda abounded. Society was polarised, lunatic world leaders engaged in a pissing contest, oblivious to the insanity of it. Anybody with half a brain, lived in fear of impending doom. People (with half or more brain) realised something desperate needed to be done to motivate society to effect change, shake it out of its torpor.

Ummm..

Oh…

Right.

That’s today, isn’t it?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1840 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 11, 2024, 09:40:15 am
Watched Threads last night. Good film, thought it needed a strong edit though, 2 hours was excessive.

Can see why it tapped into the zeitgeist in the 80s. Particularly thought the use of silence when the missiles came down was effective- a technique reused in Oppenheimer. Not sure why its only been shown 4 times, its hardly *that* grim by comparison to a lot of more modern stuff. Presume it will be licensing issues or similar? Its on iplayer for the next 11 months now.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1841 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 20, 2024, 06:19:49 pm
Do you want nice English girls offering a bite on their jam roly-poly? Do you want handsome cads on their knees announcing “I’m a member of the clit-Tory party”? Do you want country houses, Ford Capris, smoking in restaurants, Princess Di, corporate take overs, hand jobs in bluebell woods, Tears for Fears, golf jumpers, getting smashed on Burgundy on Tuesday afternoons?

If so, you want Rivals, the Disney Plus adaptation of Jilly Cooper’s 80s blockbuster novel.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1842 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 20, 2024, 08:46:28 pm
A bit like mentioning that farm safety film “Apaches” (1970s, actually projected to primary school kids in village schools all over the country, with nightmares for weeks after.

Funnily enough my daughter just sent me a link to this. Like a very slow slasher movie…

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-apaches-1977-online

This is my favourite of those public information films https://youtu.be/cZhB7fTLezw?si=Cpa-9bccC5cqmhVT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal