UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1132555 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Perfect Days

Wim Wenders’ latest, Japanese with subtitles.

Kōji Yakusho is a toilet cleaner in a posh part of Tokyo. The film examines the repetition of his simple life and the joy he gets from his potentially mundane job in forensic detail. Yes it’s one of those arty films where nothing much happens very beautifully.

Yakusho is in his 60s but still handsome, his clothes are supposed to be poor and basic but he looks like he’s modelling for Margaret Howell. He has rather intellectual literary tastes. His flat is a fantasy of old Japan, elegantly austere. Poverty or minimalism? All this seems unlikely for a toilet cleaner; later in the film there are hints as to why it might be somewhat plausible.

He leads a solitary, monk-like existence, with minimal interaction with the rest of the world. Snippets of music punctuate the silence: 60s and 70s rock and soul, mostly predictable (Lou Reed of course) with a couple of wild cards. There is some humour made with his choice of medium, currently achingly trendy cassette tapes. It slightly feels like wish-fulfilment for financially secure middle-aged blokes: abandon all ties, run away from home, live a simple life (in a cave at Siurana?). Perhaps this is what he has done.

A number of women interact with him obliquely. At one point I thought there might be an icky old-guy-cute-young-woman thing about to happen but fortunately Wenders has better taste. The only romantic interest hinted, more realistically, is a not much younger bar owner.

There is no resolution and you might think the whole thing is a two hour shaggy dog story. I really enjoyed it but I'm the kind of person who enjoys a Japanese-German art-house movie.

We watched this last night on Mubi and both loved it. Can’t add anything to Duncan’s accurate and erudite review other than the toilet tours are now available as a tourist tour attraction.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
 Dune 2

We caught it on Sunday at the Imax (not totally convinced by imax when there's a lot of action - even in row G it felt quite mentally taxing to watch, and in the slower scenes, does my enjoyment increase by being able to see people's plukes and wrinkles)

Having not read the book, our criticisms are maybe pointed more at the source material than the film maker but we came away with a feeling that Dune 2 glorified war too much for our liking and, like the end of dune 1 (I think, haven't seen it since the cinema) has all these standard tropes of Russian looking/sounding "bad guys"

And

NSFW  :
how the fuck do they get a full caravan installed on one of this sand worm things? Massive plot hole.

Yeah, nice visuals and good soundscape but... Is that enough these days?

Bradders

• forum hero
Having not read the book, our criticisms are maybe pointed more at the source material than the film maker but we came away with a feeling that Dune 2 glorified war too much for our liking and, like the end of dune 1 (I think, haven't seen it since the cinema) has all these standard tropes of Russian looking/sounding "bad guys"

My understanding is that Frank Herbert wrote Dune Messiah (2nd book) specifically to address the first takeaway, i.e. people thinking that Paul Atreides is a hero, when as the instigator of a galaxy wide war which kills billions of people he is anything but. Which sort of addresses the second issue, in the sense that if Paul et al aren't "the good guys", which they definitely aren't, then there are no good guys.

The essay Sean linked to a while back on the economics of Dune is genuinely well worth a read.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I enjoyed Dune 2 but not nearly as much as Dune 1. I absolutely loved Dune 1 though, so any feeling of disappointment could just be a reflection of how high the bar had been set.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Frank Herbert definitly tried to trick people into routing for a messianic figure, then showing how dangerous they are. This is  a hard task and in my humble opinion, Herbert mostly failed. I thought Villeneuve was quite a bit closer to succeeding, mostly by blaiming mom for the son's choices and by inserting a Mary Sue.

No one is leaving the movie theater thinking that a galaxy-spanning Jihad is just? No?

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
No one is leaving the movie theater thinking that a galaxy-spanning Jihad is just? No?

I would hope not.

Frank Herbert definitely tried to trick people into routing for a messianic figure, then showing how dangerous they are. This is  a hard task and in my humble opinion, Herbert mostly failed. I thought Villeneuve was quite a bit closer to succeeding, mostly by blaming mom for the son's choices and by inserting a Mary Sue.

I can't quite pin down what it was that didn't click. Maybe not having read the book, the narrative arc was too clunky, maybe the acting of Paul, or the dialogue or something just didn't quite deliver the feeling for me. I never felt like I was rooting for him, in fact, for most of the film I didn't care much for anyone other than Chani, but even that relationship wasn't very deftly handled.

I doubt anyone's not seen it yet, but for those who haven't I'll hide the spoilers:
NSFW  :

In fact, in the fights scene against Fayd-Rautha I was wondering if the film might get more interesting if Paul died?

I'm not really a good enough film critic to figure out what it was that I/we didn't "get".  Maybe another message of "there's no fucking hope, humanity is just a self-serving, power hungry race to oligarchy and fiefdom at the expense of everything else"  is just too much for my fragile imagination to bear at the moment.

It's not like I don't like complex films, or complex, conflicted characters - I usually love those types of films. But characters need to have some consistency. Maybe it was that it spent so much time on frivolities (how to catch a worm) and then skipped through the key moments too quickly "oh shit we have nukes".

The final battle had no tension, it was all over with a sweep - they just walked in and took over - WTF?

I dunno. I guess I just didn't learn anything new about myself, or about humanity. Maybe the source material is showing its age and to stay at all true to the book, it was constrained in some areas?

It's a shame I can't stand reading sci-fi/fantasy as I think I'd like the books more....

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Even Paul feared himself and the Jihad. Trying very hard to avoid his “fate”.
The Messiah book is a much harder read, though.
Probably knowing the books too well, leads to filling in the bits the movies glossed over. So, I didn’t view it as glorifying war.
I suspect Herbert wanted to point out that human nature makes it “Hobson’s Choice” (just to drop another movie reference in there, as well as the 16th C pondering on the lack of true alternatives). Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I think you've overthought it, Fultonius. Big worms, big booms, lots of sand, Hans Zimmers score and cool vocals. It doesn't need to mean anything more.

Bradders

• forum hero
Frank Herbert definitly tried to trick people into routing for a messianic figure, then showing how dangerous they are. This is  a hard task and in my humble opinion, Herbert mostly failed. I thought Villeneuve was quite a bit closer to succeeding, mostly by blaiming mom for the son's choices and by inserting a Mary Sue.

I think you're overestimating people. Both of the friends I went to see it with hadn't twigged until I mentioned it, neither having read the books.

Personally, going into it with that thought in my mind helped me, and I thought it puts Timothee Chalamet's performance into context. Much as I instinctively dislike him I thought he was excellent, with his inspiration having an edge of menace and evil.

But yeah, I really wasn't looking to come out of it having learned anything :lol:

Wellsy

• forum hero
I appreciated that the movie made it much clearer than the book that this is A Terrible Idea that will be Extremely Horrible

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
I appreciated that the movie made it much clearer than the book that this is A Terrible Idea that will be Extremely Horrible

I wonder if those who've read to booked saw it in a different light, knowing what was going to unfold?

For me the descent into "the dark side" just seemed a bit parachuted into the end but maybe I just missed cues....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal