UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1287573 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
There were only two films of last year's Oscar nominees that actively decided I had to see at the cinema, rather than on TV / during a flight - Oppenheimer, as I wanted to 'feel' the Trinity test, and Zone of Interest, as I had heard about the sound design.  I'm really glad I saw Z.o.I at the cinema -  I thought being unable to half-watch while reading, not looking at my phone, not mooching away to fix a drink etc. (my usual bad habits at home) helped maintain the intensity - the building banality of evil.  I wouldn't have been disciplined enough at home for it to make as much impact (without a Clockwork Orange style therapy set-up anyway!).

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
All of Us Strangers - a time-shifting meditation on love and loss. Great acting (Andrew Scott, Paul Mescal, Jamie Bell, Claire Foy), great storytelling. I hadn't read much about the film and glad that I hadn't, as it made the story more poignant. The kind of film that stays with you.

Paul Mescal also starred in another kind of similar lyrical father-daughter memory piece, Aftersun.

Both highly recommended.

Thanks, added the first to my list. Aftersun is an absolute cracker. On iplayer if people haven't seen it. I watched it on a plane and was completely rapt. Really touching even for someone with no kids. I thought the child actress was absolutely superb as well.

stone

• junky
We enjoyed "Save Yourselves!".  It's billed as "a gentle apocalypse comedy" -which sums it up well.

andy popp

• forum hero
"The Promised Land" (Bastarden in its original Danish title, 2023). Set in the mid-eighteenth century, a retired Danish army officer (Mads Mikkelsen) attempts to settle and farm the bleak heath lands of Jutland, where he is met with harsh conditions and extreme hostility from an evil local landowner. Assembling a ragbag team of misfits he is undeterred. As one review pointed out, it's basically a Western set in early modern Scandinavia; dark, brooding, and surprisingly violent. I enjoyed it a lot. Mikkelsen is excellent, as ever.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
U-571: a very old school war movie which relies quite heavily on its submarine setting for dramatic tension. I enjoyed it despite the flaws however, the sense of claustrophobia and fear amongst the crew is palpable and makes up for a rather cheesy ending.

Snoops

• forum abuser
U-571: a very old school war movie which relies quite heavily on its submarine setting for dramatic tension. I enjoyed it despite the flaws however, the sense of claustrophobia and fear amongst the crew is palpable and makes up for a rather cheesy ending.

It was controversial as it is not historically accurate....we (brits) found the enigma 

From the screenwriter....

'In 2006, screenwriter David Ayer admitted that U-571 had distorted history, and said that he would not do it again.[15] He told BBC Radio 4's The Film Programme that he "did not feel good" about suggesting that Americans, rather than the British, had captured the naval Enigma cipher: "It was a distortion...a mercenary decision...to create this parallel history in order to drive the film for an American audience. Both my grandparents were officers in the Second World War, and I would be personally offended if somebody distorted their achievements."[15]'

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Next you will be telling me it wasn't actually an American crew who captured the Enigma machine like in U-571

Was watching it co-incidental to me mentioning it a week ago?

I always find submarine movies very claustrophobic and tense, Das Boot and ..Red October particularly.   

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Next you will be telling me it wasn't actually an American crew who captured the Enigma machine like in U-571
Was watching it co-incidental to me mentioning it a week ago?

I hadn't seen your post, sorry! I kind of knew that British forces did the Enigma stuff really but it's hardly the only war movie that you need to suspend a considerable amount of disbelief to enjoy.

slab_happy

• forum hero
"The Promised Land" (Bastarden in its original Danish title, 2023). Set in the mid-eighteenth century, a retired Danish army officer (Mads Mikkelsen) attempts to settle and farm the bleak heath lands of Jutland, where he is met with harsh conditions and extreme hostility from an evil local landowner. Assembling a ragbag team of misfits he is undeterred. As one review pointed out, it's basically a Western set in early modern Scandinavia; dark, brooding, and surprisingly violent. I enjoyed it a lot. Mikkelsen is excellent, as ever.

If anyone's interested, it's on iPlayer atm: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0022f75/the-promised-land

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Went to see The Count of Monte Cristo at the cinema and thought it was an excellent adaptation. Not seen any press for it in the UK as it's French with subtitles but well worth seeing if you can find it on nearby.

Duma

• forum hero
Must have been mentioned several times before, but the rather excellent Moon is on iPlayer ATM, in case anyone hasn't seen it

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Moon is a great movie, wouldn’t mind a rewatch.

Highly recommend Sing Sing, a redemption story of sorts of long term inmates finding purpose putting on plays. Beautifully put together, with largely non actors (you can guess where they came from). Several points I was expecting it to turn in wrong directions, deftly avoided. Best thing I’ve seen in ages. Some good stuff coming from A24.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Not new, but noticed Four Lions is now on Prime.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal