UKBouldering.com

Bare Back Productions receive flack.............. (Read 2349 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Yeah, like the Beardown crew are going to wirebrush sandstone :roll:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Not totally unfair though - brushes and the county don't mix too well.

dave

Funny how some people are more eager to whinge about stuff on the web in public when a simple email could have saved their bother.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
jimbo knows the county well though he's just tryin to make a point is all, lets not be so quick to the whipping post

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Not got a problem with people complaining about wire brushes in the county or on gritstone (or any other soft rock)...but it if wasn't a wire brush, then people shouldn't be so fast to throw accusations around.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Quote from: "dave"
Funny how some people are more eager to whinge about stuff on the web in public when a simple email could have saved their bother.

The point is though, the "whinging about stuff on the web in public" is increasing public awareness of wire-brushing and it's general unacceptability - it's to highlight the problem in public so that other people, as well as Beardown, pay attention to the issue. If someone sees the clip, is a bit thick, and never reads a post about the issue - because jimbo has only complained to you in private, they might be influenced into trying it. But if they read a post about the issue, there's a counter-influence. It's a public issue basically.

Not that I'm siding with anyone saying there was any wirebrushing shown, all I can remember from that clip is that outrageous shirt which was so traumatic it's blocked out the memory of anything else...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
even a soft nylon brush will knacker sandstone (in places)

ian h

• forum abuser
not whinging at anyone, i use a soft brush selectively on my local crags.

we have a hugh problem woith this kind of erosion, so all cleaning has to be done with mega tlc

do you know weather they treat eroded rock with chemicals in the same way we do.
it dramaticaly helps preserve the origional form of the rock

account_inactive

• forum hero
The guy knew that it wasn't a wire brush :roll:

I think that he just wanted to bring draw peoples attentiom to the debate but meanwhile dirtying the names of the bear back riders.

Maybe he should have jsut contacted you guy's first

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
Lol at the last paragraph of Kims repsonse tho.  :lol:  :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Whoever the anon@btcentralplus.com is, they need to fix up and learn from Kim's response about how to have the right attitude...

But yeah lol @ the last paragraph, although I might skip the kitten drowning section ;/

AndyR

• forum hero
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
even a soft nylon brush will knacker sandstone (in places)

Too true, but standing on it will knacker it even more when you're onto that soft, very poorly cemented stuff.

If it's eroded (i.e. harder weathered crust worn through), either don't use it, or get it preserved. Anything else is just fudging the issue.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Yeah, I agree - if a bit of rock is *that* delicate then move on.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Agreed.
 Think of it another way if your teeth were too sensitive/fragile to use a toothbrush on, would you consider using a gritty rockshoe with 10 stone of boulderer attached instead?

Teaboy

• forum hero
To be honest I thik its fair enough for someone to express concerns, Bowden is a state and something needs to be done as people interviewed n the news are always fond of saying. what that something is I don't know. Brushing probably won't do more harm than general climbing and from that point of view the original poster may have been a bit wide of the mark but not as wide of the mark as some of the childish responses.

The thing that is more worring that no one seems to have mentioned is that climbing on Bowden when its wet is likely to lead to snapped holds and accelerated erosion. That flake on FF will go sooner if people are climbing (by Kims own admission) when the crag is wet. FF itself might have appeared dry but if the rest of the crag was wet then there is a good chance of hold snappage (seen it happen in similar circumstances).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I think it is fair enough to express concerns on a public forum, but I think the tone was a bit too confrontational to be productive.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal