UKBouldering.com

Which Mat? (Read 3681 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Which Mat?
March 03, 2005, 07:39:36 pm
Recently decided to get a new mat as my old Metolius one is in a right state, cover and all. Which one should i got for? I know the franklin ones are good but unfortunately it has to be able to fit on the back seat of a mini. The drop zone fits just but its a hassle I dont really want every time i go out bouldering. So is it POD/Metolius/Flashed i want to be looking at?
Cheers.

dave

#1 Which Mat?
March 03, 2005, 08:24:20 pm
POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD
POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD
POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD
POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD POD

Get a pod.

clm

• forum hero
#2 Which Mat?
March 03, 2005, 09:04:40 pm
le triple pad de font est tres bon

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Which Mat?
March 03, 2005, 09:19:41 pm
I quite like my Pod but I really don't know what's best.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 Which Mat?
March 04, 2005, 08:51:18 am
POD mats are great and you will get the good feeling of supporting a local business, rather than lining some fat yank's pocket.

ned

• menacing presence
#5 Which Mat?
March 04, 2005, 04:37:45 pm
what about a franklin satellite?

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Which Mat?
March 04, 2005, 05:50:36 pm
the dimensions look pretty puny to me and the one ive got looks like a postage stamp when youre on anything high as it is...Will have a look see in a shop anyway though. Have they got the same foam design etc as the drop zone?

ned

• menacing presence
#7 Which Mat?
March 04, 2005, 06:14:07 pm
i think its hinged, but the top (dense) layer is in one piece to reduce the soft area in the middle.

andy bowie

• regular
#8 Which Mat?
March 04, 2005, 07:18:00 pm
S7 everytime

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Which Mat?
March 04, 2005, 07:33:18 pm
nah theyre rubbish, the elasticated shoulder seatbelt style straps r utter crap.

dave

#10 Which Mat?
March 04, 2005, 08:35:55 pm
S7 are great if you want a mat that is 7 years old and you can use for beating holds with and then stuff it in the door pocket of your car.

If it doesn't say POD on it, don't even reach for your wallet.

blockhead

• player
#11 Which Mat?
March 06, 2005, 09:07:18 pm
Ive just shelled out for a new red chilli mat and really like it. Its pretty sturdy with a triple foam lining, with stiff foam on both top and bottom sides sandwiching the thick soft foam. It means the pad is vey stiff and helps iron out most lumps and bumps. If you need to use it upside down over a boulder or summat it still gives a good firm landing surface. It uses velcro closure so theres is no plastic buckles to land on and snap... and it fits in me car just nice! Beware they can have some crap designs on the landing surface tho.

Mind you some say them pod ones are good...

KH

• addict
#12 Which Mat?
March 30, 2005, 11:01:36 am
What's the carrying system like on the POD?

I really like the look of the Flashed pads.  Does anyone know if there's much difference between the Temple and the Master pads.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#13 Which Mat?
March 30, 2005, 11:15:15 am
I have the Master Pad.  Its proper Bo for landing on but a pain in the arse to move around.  In Font in was perfect (or anywhere with a large concentration of problems) but on a more open crag (Burbage South, Crookrise) it does become a bit cumbersome and heavy.

Saying that its very well made and the best pad I've ever landed on.  

I think the temple is the baby version of the master

KH

• addict
#14 Which Mat?
March 30, 2005, 11:28:17 am
What's the Master like for getting in and out of the car?  Does it fit?

Also, how much smaller is the Temple?  Is it similar in size to the Franklin DZ?

account_inactive

• forum hero
#15 Which Mat?
March 30, 2005, 11:42:42 am
It fits in the back of my car but is a bit bulky

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#16 Which Mat?
March 30, 2005, 03:17:36 pm
Quote from: "Dylan"
I have the Master Pad.  Its proper Bo for landing on but a pain in the arse to move around.  

Me too and agree completely - would probably revert to a dropzone in the future to be honest

KH

• addict
#17 Which Mat?
March 31, 2005, 11:51:28 am
Dave,

What makes the POD pad so good then?  It looks pretty ordinary looking to me on the pictures, similar to the old Metolius pads.  Do you have the super size POD?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#18 Which Mat?
March 31, 2005, 01:17:20 pm
the foam's proper bo' and they're built to last - I was in font with a Pod owning friend and kept trying to surreptitiously move his mat under my landing zone! The size could be an advantage too - especially if you hire cheap cars on trips abroad (the Citroen we got would never have fitted my Dropzone in so I had to take my soggy Moon effort).

RASTATA

• addict
#19 Re: Which Mat?
August 11, 2006, 09:11:45 am
Have opportunity to get a reasonably cheep moon giant pad. So I'm asking if anyone have experience with that mat and if so is any good?

thank you

Simon S

• menacing presence
#20 Re: Which Mat?
August 11, 2006, 09:28:20 am
Definately a Franklin Dropzone providing the space is not a problem..................

if not then a Franklin satalite which absorbs the impact much much better than the foam thickness would suggest.

Simon S

• menacing presence
#21 Re: Which Mat?
August 11, 2006, 09:30:55 am
Have opportunity to get a reasonably cheep moon giant pad. So I'm asking if anyone have experience with that mat and if so is any good?

thank you

My mate has one, and although its ok its not the best. It depends on the height of the problem that you tend to get on I guess as to whether its a problem.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#22 Re: Which Mat?
August 11, 2006, 09:39:46 am
Yet to encouter a product better than POD. 

Has anyone tried the new DMM Highball pads?  They look very reasonable (but they bloody ought to after the abortion of their Mk 1's).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 09:46:55 am by Houdini »

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#23 Re: Which Mat?
August 11, 2006, 09:57:51 am
the yellow dmm highballl pads are good but i reckon your better off shelling out for a pod they just keep going and going.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal