UKBouldering.com

Sweet Thing destroyed! (Read 12688 times)

Craig M

#25 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 02, 2005, 01:36:52 pm
I've already posted the link to this thread on UKC.  So far it's yeilded nothing other than a fairly irrelevant debate.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#26 Toilet trashed
February 03, 2005, 08:42:01 am
Just heared on Radio 4 that one of Bakewells prize toilet facilities was destroyed on Sunday night. Not vandalized, literally ripped to pieces- the perpetrators are suspected of having "crow bars", "hammers".

I take it the police have been informed about the damage at RHS. Maybe there is no connection, but in this wierd world maybe there are troubled people out there who have something against chalk and urinals.

dave

#27 Re: Toilet trashed
February 03, 2005, 09:01:19 am
Quote from: "dave k"
I take it the police have been informed about the damage at RHS.

you're kidding right?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#28 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 10:17:17 am
but in this wierd world maybe there are troubled people out there who have something against chalk and urinals.

you're takin the piss right?

sorry :oops:

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#29 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 10:49:02 am
Although it sounds unlikely and I thought people might take it as humour in poor taste, I was not joking.

The news report siad that their had been a number of different incidents in the Peak recently (no other details were given) and that it might be someone who has some grudge against the National Park. They are as confused as we all are on here.

It took place on the road between Bakewell and Buxton (10 mins drive from RHS) possibly/probably on the same night (Sunday). They have ruled out normal vandals and are convinced that this was planned (although they have no idea why).

Would a normal toilet trashing make it onto Radio 4 national news in the morning?

There is possibly no link at all. But fuck it, if there is and it helps catch/stop any further destruction (of problems) then I for one will be happy.

dave

#30 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 11:01:37 am
Quote from: "dave k"
It took place on the road between Bakewell and Buxton (10 mins drive from RHS) possibly/probably on the same night (Sunday). They have ruled out normal vandals and are convinced that this was planned (although they have no idea why).

Would a normal toilet trashing make it onto Radio 4 national news in the morning?

There is possibly no link at all. But fuck it, if there is and it helps catch/stop any further destruction (of problems) then I for one will be happy.

wasn't the chipping on satdy night/sunday morning?

To be honnst i don't think anyone wanting to piss of the peak national park people would go and knock a few holds off a the stride. for a start the national park officials would probably never know about it, and secondly they probably wouldn't give a toss (its not like the list the number of 8a+s the peak has as a reason fro people to visit). Also if these were people capable of destroying a whole toilet block then don't you think they'd be doing a lot more damage to the crag, carving "the peak park are dickhead" into the rock, rather then carefully knocking off a crimp. I see no evidence to link the two whatsoever.

And even if the police new about the chipping, and even thought it was the same people, and thought it might happen again they're not going to do anything since the chipping is not costing anyone any money. I can't see them giving 24hour surveilance at the stride.

Lets get with the real waltz here. Unless the chipper fesses up or one of their friends sings, or someone saw it, then chances are we ain't gonna know who done it, ever. Its not as if we know who done the chips on that sitter arete at cratcliffe, and the been going on for years. Or the person who chipped t-crack, or jerry's traverse, or did the chips on the slabs there, or who did the chips at the stride,...etc

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#31 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 11:18:24 am
i'm totally unconvinced this was the work of a climber. OK, one chip was a crucial hold on a hard problem. The other four were in totally random places with regard to climbing, except that they had chalk on them. The other probs are unaffected climbing wise, they just look a mess.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#32 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 11:22:01 am
I'm sorry but I just can't see any connection either - the sort of people who are going to destroy a toilet block are unlikely to be the sort of people who specifically trash holds on boulder problems.

The last time I heard of a toilet block getting destroyed in such a way it was by irate villagers who were fed up as it being used as a cottaging venue.

The police aren't going to do fuck all - if they can't do anything about the hundreds of car breakins around the peak (bar putting up some signs) then what the fuck are they going to care about some boulder problems? The Derbyshire police are more interested in setting up speed traps than much else, or so it would seem.

The person who did this is obviously a climber, or ex-climber. Really, they need to be caught in the act and the only people who are going to be arsed to do that are other climbers.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#33 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 11:26:06 am
The last time I heard of a toilet block getting destroyed in such a way it was by irate villagers who were fed up as it being used as a cottaging venue.

Great how rumours become fact, eh??:lol:

Still don't think this was done by a climber.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#34 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 11:30:28 am
Didn't that happen in Ilkley, and also some place in Northumberland?

Why don't you think it's a climber?

cofe

• forum hero
#35 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 11:31:13 am
i have to agree with vince, i don't think it's a climber either. sure, holds have been damaged but the alternative view is that large areas of white around 'holds', evidently used by rock climbers and within easy reach from the floor, have been indiscriminantly hit with a hammer.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#36 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 11:34:08 am
Who else would want to piss climbers off so specifically?

cofe

• forum hero
#37 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 11:40:23 am
who knows? landowner, farmer, chav, rambler, a joe blogg member of the general public whot took offence to loads of shouting and swearing one afternoon.

it is all speculation. that it is a climber seems no more likely than it being A N Other.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#38 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 11:49:58 am

Doesn't strike me as damage done by a climber. It's just a mess. And the ones on the little slab (that them frenchies run up in htttttp://bloc) are even more pointless. looks like someone went around twatting chalk marks. Just so happened one was important.

There are also those spraypainted dates in that little slab area. What the fuck was all that about?

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#39 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 11:56:38 am
Ok you have convinced me. No connection exists. I heared the words chissel, crow bar, hammer, Sunday and Bakewell and crazy unexplained destruction and jumped to conclusions. Had myself convinced for a while though.

I am still getting over one of my projects in Bleau getting destroyed at Roche aux Martin- it was a lovely 7B arete, now minimum 8a+ since the bottom holds were smashed off at the same time as Karma and others took a battering.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#40 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 03, 2005, 12:02:36 pm
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"

There are also those spraypainted dates in that little slab area. What the fuck was all that about?

Don't know about you, but I was locked in the cellar on the 23.06.03 with a pile of tinned food waiting for the apocalypse. Bloody pranksters, had me fooled.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#41 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 07, 2005, 10:05:55 am
unreal, but unfortunately all too predictable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal