UKBouldering.com

Sweet Thing destroyed! (Read 12732 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 30, 2005, 11:03:26 pm
It's happened again. For reasons beyond the undarstanding of a sane mind, some fuckwit has ruined yet more beautiful gritstone.  Was very saddened to see four very recent areas of heavy chipping at Robin Hood's Stride today. Several small chips on the slab traverse of the lone boulder, most of the flake on the right hand side of Jerry's Arete smashed off, a large foothold on the slab to the left of JA hammered and worst of all the crimp on Sweet Thing hacked off! If the culprit is a boulderer and happens to read this, please do us all a favour - fuck off and die!

dave

#1 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 30, 2005, 11:05:11 pm
words fail me.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 30, 2005, 11:32:05 pm
I don't know which I'm saddest about: the destruction of these rocks or that someone presumably feels justified in doing this.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#3 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 30, 2005, 11:35:48 pm
Sickening stuff.

I'd hate to think a boulderer was responsible, it just doesn't make sense to ruin the rock... unless they're the most unbelievably selfish bad-tempered twat.

Could it have been kids messing around? There's a quarry near me where we found some kids had thrown bricks at the rock. I can kind of see how they might have not even realised anyone would care, it was only a tiny quarry...and perhaps that same ignorance extends to people wrecking boulders?

I don't know...even if that was the case what would you do? Stick signs telling people not to damage the rock? But then I'm sure there would be people out there who would start getting ideas. It's all fucked up.

:x

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#4 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 30, 2005, 11:40:34 pm
That is so fucked up.

Reminds me of that spate of chipping in Font.

Any ideas when it occurred?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#5 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 07:45:18 am
i was at stride last weekend and didnt notice the stuff round jerrys when I did the easy slab straight up from the pictured flake, so my guess is the week just gone.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#6 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 07:50:12 am
It's just so sad - actively destroying problems with mindless vandalism.

Just my initial gut reaction, but the chipping looks to me a bit too 'problem specific' to be kids randomly messing about - any thoughts?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 08:44:58 am
Quote from: "r-man"
Could it have been kids messing around?

Unlikely. Sweet Thing is pretty tucked away and the other side of the crag from Jerry's Arete - hardly an obvious target for kids. And some serious effort must have been put in to smash that flake in - more like a hammer job than something like throwing stones.

RHS and Cratcliffe are often getting chipped, so it's probably some fucked up local or regular visitor imho.

The only satisfaction is that eventually somebody will see / photograph them in action and the appropriate punishment can then be dealt out.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#8 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 08:49:59 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
Quote from: "r-man"
Could it have been kids messing around?

Unlikely. Sweet Thing is pretty tucked away and the other side of the crag from Jerry's Arete - hardly an obvious target for kids. And some serious effort must have been put in to smash that flake in - more like a hammer job than something like throwing stones.

RHS and Cratcliffe are often getting chipped, so it's probably some fucked up local or regular visitor imho.

word. Seems like the most plausable options IMHO.

could it be someone disgruntled with amount of traffic the venue is seeing?

Anyone know/heard about any local access type issues?

Wasn't the Font chipper a local climber who went Radio Rentals and started wrecking stuff?

dave

#9 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 09:07:15 am
that damage looks totally deliberate to me - for a start in the top picture you can see where whatever instument they used hit the rock just abouve the hold on the swing. I think we can rule out kids throwing rocks, unless they've got an arm like steve backley and the aim of andy fordham. and a grude against boulderers.

Now i can sort of understand why someone might think that creating holds is acceptable (like the john bradbury chips etc) but i fail to see why any climber in thier right mind could possibly convince themselves that destroving holds is the way forward, unless they are just out to piss people off, like the font chipper.

but i mean whats the crack with the chips on the big easy flake thing - its not even removed a hold or improved anything, just made a total mess of it.

It also strikes me that anyone unhinged enough to bear a grudge against other climbers enough to chip holds off is the type of person who might find it very difficult to keep quiet about it. So its likely that someone somewhere knows who did it. So fess up muthafuckers.

cofe

• forum hero
#10 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 09:16:08 am
defo deliberate, hammer (or similar) impact marks can be seen clearly on the flake and the sweet thing hold. there is no possible justification for this. twats.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#11 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 10:04:41 am
From what I saw, the damage is definitely targeted at holds, but not in a way that makes sense as a climber. The Jerry's arete flake is the worst - a big nice grit flake just trashed.
The only hypopthesis I could come up with is a non-climbing local who is fed up with the chalky mess everywhere, and the hordes of beanie-hatted swearing yoofs. Most of the holds have obvious impact marks from a tool. I don't think it's likely any came off naturally, despte the dampness of the rock.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#12 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 10:20:46 am
It's not the first time that flake has been vandalised either. The bottom bit used to be a big round elephants ear of a thing.

JR

• forum abuser
#13 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 11:55:52 am
fuckers....

definitely deliberate

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#14 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 01:10:25 pm
shit, they look shocking - beyond repair aswell, by the looks of things.
wonder why RHS always gets it?

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#15 Sweet Thing destroyed!
January 31, 2005, 02:52:03 pm
Tis indeed a sad day. As if the grit hasn't worn away at such a scary rate over the past 5 years anyway. Pretty tragic to lose the Sweet Thing, this was 1 of the best moves in the Peak, no the UK, no the world. This crimp would have come off eventually (excess brushing was making it slightly more incut than previous) and had it not been for the other attrocities I'd have bought that theory. I was out Friday 21st Jan and certainly no sign of this.

Craig M

#16 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 01, 2005, 01:36:42 pm
Un-fuckin-believable.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#17 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 01, 2005, 01:45:03 pm
Madness - you could maybe forgive some daft kids chucking rocks at the boulders, thus chipping, but for a hold as specific as the Sweet Thing crimp to have gone, it seems pretty obvious that this was a boulderers/climbers doing.  Unforgivable.

andy bowie

• regular
#18 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 01, 2005, 03:20:35 pm
Andy - was this the problem you were trying a couple of weeks ago? tricky? nightmare man.

DrWong

• regular
    • http://www.vi-bouldering.com
#19 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 01, 2005, 10:53:18 pm
:evil:

One word: DISGUSTED!

If it is climbers then I vote for amputation at the wrists.

tonyt10

#20 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 02, 2005, 10:08:11 am
Shit man this is worst I seen.

Was there sat just gone climbed J's arete and others had a look at sweet thing but slightly damp so did not try but there was no damage at all.

Must have been done sunday or monday?

This is a very sad day for Peak climbing.

And what must the guys think that climbed these first i.e Ben. It must be very sadening.

Is there anything that can be done? Police English nature Nat trust anything any body knows of to stop this sort of thing happening again. or at least to punish the people if they are ever found out.

dave

#21 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 02, 2005, 10:18:55 am
don't know if theres owt they could do even if they were found out (have we ever found out the people behind any chipping in the peak?, i.e. the sitter arete at cratcliffe etc).

when all that chipping in font happened it was commented that since its a kinda national park forest then if the guy had vandalised any trees he could have been charged and jailed, but cos it was rocks they couldn't do jack. I imagine that in the UK we don't even have that degree of protection in national parks.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 02, 2005, 10:33:05 am
All I can say is that if anyone ever sees any shit like this going down then please try to take photos of the culprits which will then be published online. If not then get their car registration or something.

Chances are that somebody somewhere who isn't a chipping fuck will know who they are.

And we all know what will happen once they've been found out.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#23 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 02, 2005, 11:33:47 am
Just a  thought, I'm not too tall but was thinking would anyone be able to smash the holds on Jerrys arete from the floor? They are a move or 2 up. Therefore if someone had to climb up or down then surely they must be a climber (unless they have a long hammer).

Maybe someone shoud post on UKclimbing to try and get a  more accurate picture of when the deed was done.  ie. the last chap said must have happened Sunday or Monday (hard to believe someone wasn't bouldering at RHS on Sunday).

Yes, Andy this was the one I was trying. Will indoor style on grit ever be so perfectly discovered again?

cheers Andy

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#24 Sweet Thing destroyed!
February 02, 2005, 12:21:49 pm
The flakes on JA are at easy hammer reach from the ground. Tonyt10 was there Saturday and saw no damage, we were there from about 12 on Sunday, so it must have been done late Saturday or early Sunday.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal