UKBouldering.com

Punk Rock and bouldering... (Read 9928 times)

Gee24

Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 25, 2005, 09:48:02 pm
Having been to Porth Ysgo recently i realised a couple of names of problems; namely Jets to Brazil and Jawbreaker. Then scanning the photos in the NW guide i saw Chris Davies with a Black Flag tatoo on his shoulder. Being from sheffield i only ever see (ok, an exageration but...) very clean cut climbers, all with nice matching pants and tops, always wearing a beanie, and no doubt listen to high-energy house...ahem...ok, so i am playing devils advocate, if i was to hang out more in North Wales would i be surrounded by patches, black clothing, circle A's, leather and spikes?

Sheffield has far too many clean climbers, and not enough filth in the ranks...or is this just from the outside looking in?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 25, 2005, 10:53:54 pm
Plenty of filth from where I'm looking...
Quote from: "underground"
So, I got hold of a film in .avi format but it's all in a language I don't understand.

dave

#2 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 25, 2005, 11:16:30 pm
wales: dress down
peak: dress nice
yorkshire: dress like a vagrant
lakes: dress in a rock & run shirt
county: dress out of focus

thats the dress code. word.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#3 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 25, 2005, 11:22:15 pm
Is this post supposed to be slagging off the style of sheffield climbers...?
You've obviously never seen pat king at the crag.
If you're using the fact that steal Mclure used to have dreadlocks as an example (which is about as edgy as the relationship between self styled self-righteous 'saviour' dickhead bono's relationship with salman rushdie),  then its easy to see where you might be coming from.
My friend james listens to Autecre on approach;
If i took a walkman to the crag i'd be playing Suicide.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#4 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 25, 2005, 11:39:43 pm
Black Flag tattoos are of course the perfect antidote to an embarassing tat from days of youth and foolish behaviour - I'll have to ask CJD what he was covering up?

Most of the punk problem names are down to myself and CJD. That's 'punk', as in the DIY spirit/Dischord/American hardcore way, rather than some cider blitz/Exploited/bad mohawk way.

As for Dave's summary: "wales: dress down" - the days of piss stained lycra and baggy Christmas jumpers is long gone. These days, we are definately the most stylish fuckers to grace the UK crags  (apart from Nodder, who I admit looks like a tramp - albeit a stylish tramp)

"peak: dress nice" - I like the proliferation of retro headbands amongst you Peak hommes, but the word is not 'nice', not ever.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 02:10:23 am
Quote from: "Pantontino"
Black Flag tattoos are ....

the mark of the righteous ones...

Funny on the US/UK comparison as I have a mate from LA who's the same age as me (and thee roughly) who grew up listening to Exploited, Sham 69, Toy Dolls, Conflict etc. etc and dreamed of living in a squat in Huddersfield whilst the rest of us wished we were in DC or LA and being able to see Minor Threat, Rites of Spring, Black Flag, Minutemen, Huskers etc etc...

On a related note I _still_ have a spare ticked for Slint's All Tomorrows Party at the end of Feb.. The Melvins, Slint, Born Heller, Bright Black and I would hazard a guess that Will Oldham and Matt Sweeny wil make an appearance to showcase their new LP.. Anyone's who's into post-rock, alt.country, wierd Americana will probably enjoy the weekend.  It's £125 including accomodation so drop me a PM if anyone's interested.

Ben

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#6 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 06:48:33 am
Quote from: "Falling Down"

Funny on the US/UK comparison as I have a mate from LA who's the same age as me (and thee roughly) who grew up listening to Exploited, Sham 69, Toy Dolls, Conflict etc. etc and dreamed of living in a squat in Huddersfield whilst the rest of us wished we were in DC or LA and being able to see Minor Threat, Rites of Spring, Black Flag, Minutemen, Huskers etc etc...

Try growing up in South Africa...

Gee24

#7 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 08:16:57 am
No i wasn't slating Peak climbers per se, but it does often feel strange to be around people who look like they have made an effort to go out on Grit for the day.

Ok, so Jawbreak et al, aren't your classic punk, just as well really, as i reckon a mohawk would probaly get in the way of any roof-problem you care to mention. What other punk rock named problems are there? 'Waiting Room', 'The Argument', 'Filler', 'Six Pack', 'Good Clean Fun' Anyone into the DC scene still?

cofe

• forum hero
#8 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 09:07:54 am
Quote from: "Gee24"
people who look like they have made an effort to go out on Grit for the day.

we're not playing games you know.

dave

#9 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 09:16:41 am
Quote from: "Pantontino"
"peak: dress nice" - I like the proliferation of retro headbands amongst you Peak hommes, but the word is not 'nice', not ever.

i don't follow you>?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 09:38:17 am
Quote from: "the_dom"

Try growing up in South Africa...

I feel your pain broer. (thumps chest with fist)

Pantontino

• forum hero
#11 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 10:19:45 am
I forgot about Throbbins/Stinky Pete - he is one scruffy, baggy arsed tramp, especially considering that most of his clothes are freebies from fashionable climbing labels (or is that an oxymoron?). Mind you, he might live in Llanberis, but he was Sheffield born and bred.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#12 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 10:26:15 am
To Falling Down: I remember talking to Boone Speed once in Buoux and he kept banging on about how cool Andrew Eldritch and the Sisters of Mercy were. Living in Yorkshire I was overloaded with shite goth music and hated it all.

AndyR

• forum hero
#13 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 10:27:24 am
' Anyone into the DC scene still?

Dunno about 'into it', but I listen to minor threat when I cycle into work - makes it pass very quickly......

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#14 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 10:37:26 am
Quote from: "AndyR"
' Anyone into the DC scene still?

Dunno about 'into it', but I listen to minor threat when I cycle into work - makes it pass very quickly......

Have gotten back into Minor Threat, Black Flag and Dead Kennedys recently. So good.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#15 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 10:50:09 am
To Gee24:

Here's a few more off the top of my head:

Toxicity – System of a Down - Lower satellites, Pass
Motor Away – Guided by Voices - Upper satellites, Pass
Away from the Numbers – The Jam - Porth Ysgo
Mr, you're on fire Mr – Liars - Craig y Llwyfan, Pass
Zen Arcade – Husker Du - Meadow, Pass
Crucial Times – Youth of Today - Parisella's
Trigger Cut – Pavement - Parisella's
Welcome to Krell – Poison Idea - Dome, Pass
Disorder – Joy Division - can't remember?
Slapshot - Pass
The Punk - Clogwyn y Tarw, Ogwen

...and then in the Elephantitus cave, there's 'Tusk' by Fleetwood Mac - punk as fuck!!!

Pantontino

• forum hero
#16 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 10:56:15 am
I've used 'The Argument' (Split Infinity) and 'Six Pack' (Grooves boulder, Pass), but where are:

'Waiting Room', 'Filler', and 'Good Clean Fun' ?

webbo

• forum hero
#17 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 03:44:14 pm
children,children.sham 69 are the only punk band that anybody has mentioned.did  anybody else see them live.i recall jimmy pursey hanging upsidedown singing in rafters manchester 1979

Quote from: "dave"

yorkshire: dress like a vagrant

as a yorkshire climber i must protest as i think you'll find i own more suits than you mate.

dave

#18 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 03:54:15 pm
unless they are corduroy with leather elbow-patches then i'm not impressed.

webbo

• forum hero
#19 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 04:01:26 pm
unless they are corduroy with leather elbow-patches then i'm not impressed.

funny you mention corduroy.i was only thinking about looking for a nice brown corduroy suit.no elbow patches they are so 2004.

dave

#20 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 04:10:47 pm
or you could go for a homer simpson - leather jacket with tweed elbow patches.

"you've ruined a perfectly good jacket"

"correction: TWO perfectly good jackets!"

webbo

• forum hero
#21 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 04:20:56 pm
or stick with my current wardrobe and be higher up the well dressed boulderer scale than yourself. :lol:

webbo

• forum hero
#22 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 04:24:58 pm
or you could go for a homer simpson - leather jacket with tweed elbow patches.

"you've ruined a perfectly good jacket"

"correction: TWO perfectly good jackets!"

or maybe something made to measure such as a jacket with matching apostrophes on either shoulder. :wink:

dave

#23 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 04:29:28 pm
[schild=5 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]wh'a'tev'er[/schild]

Gee24

#24 Punk Rock and bouldering...
January 26, 2005, 08:23:56 pm
When i say 'into it', i mean still tracking down records and bands, you know the feeling of wanting to hear new bands and see them live at any cost. I'm not really into Dischord and the DC scene(Positive Change collective et al) anymore, the music just doesn't cut it inside me any more, though the classics still want me to cause havoc, especially the first Minor Threat EP (it did make me smile when the Colarado Daydream DVD used Seein Red (not the commie hardcore band from The Netherlands) by the Threat for one of scenes), Embrace, Fugazi (old and new), Dag Nasty (when Dave Smalley was doing vocals).

I guess i just listen to more post-punk/rock/hardcore thesedays. Or anyband that challenges musical stereotypes,eg anyone heard 'Refused:The Shape of Punk to Come'. Theres bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Mono, Explosions in the Sky, all of which sound epically melodic without vocals, but mind blowing nonetheless. Then theres the heavier side, with Isis (like a heavier Tortoise), Neurosis (the best live band ever to play before my eyes), Sunn, Earth etc etc.

To be honest i never actaully thought any climbers would be into punk/hardcore, maybe its just the ones i've met and hung out with, even though its 'ethics' seem very much in common, and its asscioated lifestyles, 'work less climb more' etc. Or looking at it differently for the years i was involved with the UK hardcore scene (i.e. putting on gigs, sorting tours, being in bands) i never saw a climber at the gigs...maybe i just didn't get lucky (so to speak).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal