UKBouldering.com

Peak Guide Cover (Read 4116 times)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Peak Guide Cover
January 23, 2005, 10:17:50 pm
Just posted this over on Rocktalk, following some feedback from a couple of people:

One particular issue with the guide that seems to have been commented on is the binding - the cover is glued on down the spine, and then by 4mm of glue on the front and rear. In some cases the glue on this front and rear section has come away, leaving the cover attached down the spine only. This should not be a (structural) problem, but it doesn't look pretty.

To prevent this happening, crease the front and back cover down the obvious crease marks 4mm from the spine. This will not make the cover look any different but will remove the strain on the glue, and should prevent the glue separating.

The problem, we believe, is not due to any inherent manufacturing defect it is just that the spine is shorter than in books printed the other way around, and the pages are longer meaning more leverage, and the cover card is quite thick so that it does not naturally fold down the scored-on crease marks. Folding the creases in as described above should prevent any problems.

cofe

• forum hero
#1 Peak Guide Cover
January 24, 2005, 09:13:48 am
this works. it's also worth baking on gas mark 7 for 3-4 hours to seal the flavas in. i had mine with baby new potatoes, carrotts, runner beans and petit pois. delicious.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#2 Peak Guide Cover
January 24, 2005, 12:18:47 pm
Don't read the guide after a heavy day on grit. Whilst browsing a copy in outside yesterday evening i noticed that my newly prepared anti forensic finger tips had left some kind of weird 'grease' on the cover. It just smudged in when I tried to clean it. Naturally I bought a different copy.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Peak Guide Cover
January 24, 2005, 01:57:39 pm
I found that the excitement of having the guide in the Peak yesterday allowed me to stick down the front cover with ease (plus quite a few other pages)

Good effort Ru mate.  Nice work with the grades.  Makes the Peak a little bit more sensible now

D

blockhead

• player
#4 Peak Guide Cover
January 24, 2005, 08:30:42 pm
Speaking of the cover... and what a top quality cover it is to a top quality guide... what problem is it that Bens bearing down on?

dave

#5 Peak Guide Cover
January 24, 2005, 08:45:43 pm
westworld innit?

blockhead

• player
#6 Peak Guide Cover
January 24, 2005, 10:05:53 pm
Cheers. Good knowledge as usual.

That pebble/crimp/dink thing looks nasty painful. It brings a tear to my eye just lookin at it. Fetch the sandpaper... and the glue... and the plasters.

dave

#7 Peak Guide Cover
January 24, 2005, 10:24:10 pm
to be honest i only knew it was westworld cos that same photo (or one from that sequence) was in a panton artice in OTE 114. off the top of my head i think it was page 42.

JR

• forum abuser
#8 Peak Guide Cover
January 24, 2005, 10:34:55 pm
Quote from: "dave"
to be honest i only knew it was westworld cos that same photo (or one from that sequence) was in a panton artice in OTE 114. off the top of my head i think it was page 42.

how many matches are there in that box i just dropped dave?

dave

#9 Peak Guide Cover
January 24, 2005, 10:57:26 pm
thats a trick question - the box was empty.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Peak Guide Cover
January 25, 2005, 09:28:40 am
Damn, I thought it was Blazin' 48s .... close I suppose....

Doylo

• forum hero
#11 Peak Guide Cover
January 29, 2005, 08:48:40 pm
yeah the outer plastic cover has started peeling off mine and i haven't even taken it out yet!

clm

• forum hero
#12 Peak Guide Cover
January 29, 2005, 11:26:17 pm
my lancs guide is doing pretty weel since i sheathed it in gaffer tape.  quite surprising since it is big enought o disintegrate under its own weight.  doesnt look so good mind.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#13 Peak Guide Cover
January 29, 2005, 11:51:26 pm
my lancs guide is doing pretty weel since i sheathed it in gaffer tape. quite surprising since it is big enought o disintegrate under its own weight.

Nah, those things are impossible to destroy. They have their own power source and everything. it's why they're so heavy.  :roll:

JR

• forum abuser
#14 Peak Guide Cover
January 30, 2005, 12:18:42 pm
Quote from: "r-man"
my lancs guide is doing pretty weel since i sheathed it in gaffer tape. quite surprising since it is big enought o disintegrate under its own weight.

Nah, those things are impossible to destroy. They have their own power source and everything. it's why they're so heavy.  :roll:

except when you leave them at round barn quarry and overnight there happens to be a storm.  Theres all sorts of different bacteria growing on it now, pink, blue, black....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal