UKBouldering.com

Recommend me somewhere to climb near Bristol (Read 1161 times)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
I've got a wedding in the south west this weekend and looking to break the drive back with a climb somewhere on Monday...if weather allows.

Residents of the Bristol area, recommend me somewhere with decent single pitch sport/trad, easy access, with either easy sport 5s or good easy trad? Does such a thing exist?

andy popp

• forum hero
Ban-y-Gor?

Long time since I've been so it may not meet all criteria.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Assuming you want to avoid the Avon polish? Even to get the Hard Rock tick of Malbogies?

Shorn Cliff was our go to for getting early season trad miles in. Central Cave section has loads of good quality routes.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/shorn_cliff-39/

Or Owl Rock at Goblin Coombe

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/goblin_combe-44/#overview

Sure there is some sport about too.

fammer

Goblin Combe is probably a good bet for easier single pitch trad. Wintours leap could also work but the best easier stuff is multi pitch. Shorn cliff is best from HVS, and the walk in is longer, maybe half an hour or so. If you're up for HVS and up then Suspension bridge buttress in the gorge a good option.

csl

• junky
Wynd Cliff has a few good VS’s, nice spot.

Duma

• forum hero
Ban y Gor and/or Wintours leap

Or if it's cold Wyndcliff and/or Wyndcliff quarry (not really much quality at the latter though...)

Or how about portishead quarry?

Mostly_Inanimate_Beans

• regular
  • Colossal Punter
There's a few trad lines in Gollums Cave... Quality ranges from bad to worse :-\

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Thanks all! Ban-y-Gor and Portishead look like decent options, especially since we're likely to be tired/hungover.

andy popp

• forum hero
I've only been once so others will have more recommendations, but if you end up at Ban-y-Gor I thought Latest Craze was great fun.

jakaitch

• player
Under the suspension bridge in the gorge has some cracking routes.
If you insist on avoiding the road noise (even though its the best crag in the Bristol region) Goblin Combe is also pretty good!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
There's a few trad lines in Gollums Cave... Quality ranges from bad to worse :-\

He did say "decent". I think even for bouldering Gollum's Cave is pretty poor. 

Mostly_Inanimate_Beans

• regular
  • Colossal Punter
Somehow missed that :oops:. Guess I'm going blind from spending too much time staring at all those nice shiny (polished to buggery) holds.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
Cheddar has some of the best local quality, it's only 45 min or so from Bristol but to the south, so presumably not on your way home.

I agree Ban-y-gor is one of the nicest venues in the area at that grade range, both in quality and setting.

The quarry at Wintours is worthwhile and easy/accessible.

If you're happy to do trad then Sea Walls at Avon is better than it's polished reputation (IMO), you'd have a fun session there on the classics.

Enjoy and let us know what you end up doing!

Dave Pattinson

Easter Island crag at Cheddar is the best bet for 5’s.

Can’t go wrong with suspension bridge buttress if you decide on Avon as others have said, but Goblins is a much quieter vibe.

Gollums is pure class… with a stellar view of the gorge ;)

Duma

• forum hero
Obvs I love Cheddar, and if you're coming up the M5 it's not far out of your way, but it's not great at that level I'd say. As Dave said, Easter Island is the place if you do end up there.

Spiders, drop me a pm if you need pics of the relevant guide pages.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal