UKBouldering.com

Reasons to be cheerful (about ukb) (Read 7378 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
I’ve been here for more years than I’d care to mention. Probably more a lurker than regular contributor nowadays.
It’s generally a small-ish core of contributors, that tend to be thoughtful and informed (to varying degrees…) with diverse views. There’s a regular trickle of new young bucks throwing their weight around, some settle in and some move on.
Mostly bad behaviour gets called out. Some characters seem to attract more policing than others but I like that nobody is above the law. Despite how it might feel to some I don’t think there is any sort of core group that are protected from criticism.
I’d disagree with the notion that it is Peak/Sheffield-centric. I mean it is, almost inevitably as a UK based climbing forum, but there’s no shortage of very regular posters that aren’t Sheffield based.
Is it cliquey? I guess it kind of is. But, as with all cliques I suppose, the members change and move on. The original “clique” I remember from when I first posted is almost entirely gone. Like all these sorts of places, if you stick around long enough you become part of the clique…

It’s a place of good humour, good banter, amazing breadth and depth of knowledge. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best I’ve found.

edshakey

• forum abuser
But that small crew of regulars is also why I largely stopped trying to contribute. Afaik I've actually met & climbed with only one person who has posted on this thread so far, and I've never lived in Sheffield. And there is a definite feel, I assume not intentional, that if you're not part of the clique you're not part of the conversation.
That's interesting. I'm not sheffield based, and I don't actually know anyone on here - very much not part of the clique. But I haven't at all found it exclusive or exclusionary, quite the opposite tbh - if you say something worthwhile, you'll normally get some engagement.

e.g., Dead Fit Birds Who Go Climbing thread.
On this... has it been considered that these threads get deleted? I'm only a more recent member, but heard them mentioned and found that they are still accessible, and I would say it's in nobody's interest to have these threads still visible in any way. I'm sure someone may want to argue about erasing history etc etc but many of the posts are extremely tasteless and it does not give a good look to the forum that such threads still exist.

Fortunately, that kind of stuff would not fly now on here, but if a non/new member did come across it, I'm sure their opinion of UKB would be tainted significantly.

SamT

• forum hero
Excellent thread and well needed.  Thanks Andy.   :2thumbsup:

UKb was born on 7th October 2002 (or at least that's when Bubba, who set it up registered.  I registered November 2002. 

By god.  Cant really say much other than to echo all that's already been said.  I still lurk mainly, chipping in with anything pertinent. 

My life has changed massively over that time and its intersesting to reflect on the way UKb has changed (or not) over that same time.

Its brought me to tears both happy and sad.

As Lukeyboy said

Long Live UKb   :bow:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
But that small crew of regulars is also why I largely stopped trying to contribute. Afaik I've actually met & climbed with only one person who has posted on this thread so far, and I've never lived in Sheffield. And there is a definite feel, I assume not intentional, that if you're not part of the clique you're not part of the conversation.
That's interesting. I'm not sheffield based, and I don't actually know anyone on here - very much not part of the clique. But I haven't at all found it exclusive or exclusionary, quite the opposite tbh - if you say something worthwhile, you'll normally get some engagement.

e.g., Dead Fit Birds Who Go Climbing thread.
On this... has it been considered that these threads get deleted? I'm only a more recent member, but heard them mentioned and found that they are still accessible, and I would say it's in nobody's interest to have these threads still visible in any way. I'm sure someone may want to argue about erasing history etc etc but many of the posts are extremely tasteless and it does not give a good look to the forum that such threads still exist.

Fortunately, that kind of stuff would not fly now on here, but if a non/new member did come across it, I'm sure their opinion of UKB would be tainted significantly.

Absolutely not defending the DFBWGC thread, glad it’s gone.

But, it obviously wasn’’t what was keeping the women away…

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
UKb was born on 7th October 2002 (or at least that's when Bubba, who set it up registered.  I registered November 2002. 

I must have joined in the tiny window between Hong Kong Stuey's brother and I meeting Bubba at Slipstones and him telling me he has set it up, and me leaving for the States that December. Back then there was even a photo gallery of some sort with pics from that day in it. I think there was also a UKB mini meet of sorts up at Earl Crag too, with Bubba, Lucien, HK Stuey and others. When I got back in the next summer my login was lost and forgotten so I set up a new one.

Generally most people on here are great, and the broad and helpful level of knowledge is amazing. Everyone of the few folk I have ever met have been sound, but NE Scotland is a bit of backwater, even Fultonius can't be bothered coming up. Or maybe he's just avoiding me. 

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
This place is a goldmine. I value it a lot, not least the lack of snide.

I stumbled in 2011/late 40s, after searching for info on Harmer's Wood, then under the radar and without a guide. To my delight it was a hotline to people poking around and new routing and sharing the psyche (hello Andy, Tom, everyone else!).

It's been nice to share a YYFY with other folk, whether it's 6A, 7A, 8A, new job, new house, or whatever. I'm firmly upper edge of mediocrity and after a decade plus off, restarting was definitely uphill. My first Font 5 took multiple visits. I've more or less regained my pre-kid plateau but with a spikier profile of success and fail. Now pondering if I can get better than before, with a possible retirement on the horizon.

I don't know anyone much in real life but I reckon a lot of us are under the illusion that everyone know everyone. But a lot of those everyones, actually mostly know each other digitally. Hands up, who's not from Sheffield.

The digital world is an odd sort of village, there are people on insta that give and take heart emojis, whilst avoiding eye contact at the wall or crag. But that's ok. And I've had good chats with people I recognise online after a slightly awkward 'ah @madeupname, I knew I recognised you!'

Also, books, film, telly.

And fatneck, pop over for a run if you find yourself with free time.

chillax

• forum abuser
Piling on to echo the thoughts of many, I haven't been a regular poster in many years, but genuinely value this corner of the climbing internet. Registered in '08 when at a loose end after my undergrad, and have found UKB to be an absolute goldmine of info, psyche and advice. Still a great place to go for the nichest of topics and locations. Have met a few people from here in person over the years and its always been a pleasure (frequently ending with some very memorable days climbing). Not based in Sheff, but I'd like to think some of the Irish climbing info I've nattered on about has been useful to someone along the way.

Still find it funny that UKB sometimes gets referenced as some kind of festering hive of negativity  and spite. Theres always moments to not be proud of, but 99.9% of the time its been one of the most honest, interesting and enlightening source of info on climbing/life I've found. Thanks all, and long live UKB

cardio_goth

But that small crew of regulars is also why I largely stopped trying to contribute. Afaik I've actually met & climbed with only one person who has posted on this thread so far

Make that 2 - I'm still grateful for that trip to Boulderwelt West back in .. 2015? This is my first post from a new account, mainly because I can't find the login details for my old one, not that I ever posted much, but I've been lurking and occasionally posting for what must be 20 years now. Having done a search, god, it is 20 years - https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=376

I'm grateful for the ongoing quality of dialog on this site - despite having an on and off relationship with bouldering, I've always followed UKB because it's interesting, engaging and civil, and I've watched the Dans and Houdinis and others unsuccessfully try to disrupt it and enjoyed how it's always remained true to it's spirit (F.O.A.M, anyone remember him?) - and I'm also grateful for the small but meaningful connections I've made with people through this site - meeting Dense at Gardoms North and realising he's actually a really nice dude (and grumpy), burning Saltbeef off a problem in my old local area Topside in Cape Town, going for a boulder with Muenchener in Munich, connecting with SA Chris over being South Africans - and I lurk because it's full of smart, thoughtful people. The book, TV and film recommendations have definitely made me look a lot smarter than I am for a long time.

And, finally, I love bouldering in the Peak, and UKB always connects me to that.

Also, fuck, 20 years...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Dense.
Miss his down to earth grumpiness. We’re mutual follows on insta and I’m still a bit bemused to see him as a family man with young kids. Happy, but somehow surprised.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I definitely miss some of the old timers of dense, DPiddy, Scouse, Cofe, Jim etc. Sure there was a mini-clique there but dense cut through people's nonsense without mercy.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
Ooo. Been here 18 years. Somewhere to gather info, dump info, and safely let my eccentricity show.
Also the whole aims for the year has been good accountability.
Also the support for my blog, while I still had time to do it.
Plus I got wad points for posting a picture of a sea slug

mark20

• junky
16 years since I first signed up and posted ("are these 2 Alpkit pads for £100 a good deal"  :o)
The place has been a big source of inspiration and it has been nice to put some faces to the names over the years.
I used to love the non-quality bouldering videos, before the throwaway Insta vid times we live in now. Lagers in his hi-top boots rinsing classic 6C-7As ! Still some gems on there though.
Lagers was kind enough to lend me some old climbing VHSs which were a big inspiration , especially the Consumed stuff, when I first got a car and psyched for headpointing all those grit routes. Loads of good beta threads from climbers in the know then too. Then binning said car when 205Chris told me to accelerate through the ploughed snow across the Burbage layby, and smashing straight through it into a large rock. Guided tour of Simons Seat, Lords Seat and Hen Stones from Will Hunt. KC bolt workshop arranged via this forum. Jonboys bumper new problem threads and the odd tip off (thanks). Kingholmsey kindly sending Cornwall beta when I briefly moved down there and welcoming me into the scene. Met Dan via this forum after enjoying his videos and still consider him a friend! Bumping into DT90 on our evening owl walks in Sheffield. Even fiend is actually quite a nice guy and I have a photo of him toproping a well protected E5 I'm saving...  :2thumbsup:

remus

• forum hero
It's the people for me: knowledgeable and passionate, usually about climbing but often on things I only look at and marvel from the sidelines.

I can't think of many places where threads like "UK men who have climbed 8B or harder" would get so many responses, and everyone's interest in that kinda stuff was the catalyst for putting climbing-history.org together.

Long live UKB.

205Chris

• forum hero
Then binning said car when 205Chris told me to accelerate through the ploughed snow across the Burbage layby, and smashing straight through it into a large rock.

:sorry: I still feel bad about this

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • junky
  • Stealth Punter
February 02, 2005, 02:13:09 pm - A date that will live in infamy....

Over 19 years in, climbed and/or met more of you than I can remember, from longtime compadres to random encounters in Kalymnos/Font/Peak to brief nods at walls or in supermarkets...

Always surprised when I meet new keen folk and they're not on here or are either ambivilent or disparaging about UKB - my experience has always been positive, welcoming, knowledgable and has definitely helped me keep the psyche, even when I'm injured/cbfa/doing things other than climbing etc.- big up your bad selves!!

Tom de Gay

• stalker
Came for the climbing news, stayed for the informative expositions on medieval church spires.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I think I joined up in 2009 sometime. I hadn’t been climbing long and had very quickly realised that while there were active climbers who knew what they were talking about on the UKC forum, reading what they had to say involved wading through the posts of lots of people who either weren’t active climbers or didn’t know what they were talking about. Because fools weren’t suffered gladly on UKB the ratio was far, far better on here.

But even though it was full of banter and had a reputation for being offensive and abrasive it was actually welcoming in a strange way. Although I was inexperienced, over-keen and hugely aware that I was rubbish by the forum’s lofty standards (pre-emptively mentioning it in almost every post I made) the only time I ever got called a punter was by Dan Varian when I listed a load of what I thought were obvious (but unbeknown to me, completely holdless) gaps in a thread about great unclimbed lines of the Peak or something  :lol:

I’ve learnt massive amounts about climbing from this forum and know loads of members in real life, some of whom are just as they seem online, some of whom are astonishingly different, some I met offline first and some online first, many I can’t remember which. Some people I’ve never actually met but I feel like I know them. One guy who I climbed with for years after meeting on here only ever posted three or four times! Some posters’ contributions are so idiosyncratic that I sometimes wonder if they’ve been replaced by an AI bot at some point. Christ knows what people think about me.

I bought my first decent camera from PaulB after getting seriously psyched for climbing photography from here (for a few years there was a year-end spray thread where people posted their best pictures and it made me feel like “they’re just taking a camera to the crag like I do so I can take pictures that good if I try”), got similarly inspired to make climbing films, got the initial idea to make The Seaside from a post by Muenchener, cast almost all of that film with people on here and their friends and had an unforgettable summer (that ironically lives in a surreal semi-distant memory pit with the rest of 2016 & 2017 now) making it :wave: then when I had to relearn climbing and pretty much everything else from scratch I got loads of support from people on here, both on Power Club and similar threads and in DMs  :hug:.

I’ve always seen myself as a bit of a peripheral UKB user, partly because I never bother with most non-climbing threads and have only ever had a passing interest in what people at the top end of climbing are doing, partly because despite being a similar age to the classic core user group I started climbing much later, but the previous paragraph shows it has been pretty important to me really.

Oh yeah, the absolute best thing about UKB apart from the unanimously-agreed end-of-year threads is the brilliant anecdotes that unexpectedly appear every so often. There should be a Best of UKB highlights thread that collates them. Maybe if I get Covid or break every bone in my body again I’ll do it.

sherlock

• forum abuser
Relatively new here (2012) but had lurked for a while before that, I dislike joining anything actually.
Don't post very often, I often find that what I was going say has already been said.
Stay away from political discourse on this site, save it for IRL.
Don't know too many folk on here due to location but still doesn't feel cliquey to me!
Like the rapid news and have received support over the years re.il health so thanks all for that!
Always inspiring, often very funny.
This reads like a survey, is there a prize?

andy popp

• forum hero

Only a warm fuzzy glow.

sherlock

• forum abuser

Only a warm fuzzy glow.
And you can't put a price on that   :icon_beerchug:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

Only a warm fuzzy glow.
And you can't put a price on that   :icon_beerchug:

I know of a few places locally, where an attractive person of pleasant demeanour, will provide you with a quotation for just that. To the penny…

sherlock

• forum abuser
 :o

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
:o
The advertising is hard to miss, it’s very open here. This is surprising after being away so long and returning to find such huge changes and a very liberal society. Almost all of the top hotels provide “Spa” services for men and women, which range from getting you nails done to something else entirely. There was an article in a local paper about a young woman who came from Thailand (trafficked in the bad old days) and now owns a respected chain of “Spas” across the country. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sorry to drag the topic with my joke. But I drive passed one of her billboards every day:
https://www.instagram.com/anna_spa_dxb?igsh=ZzE4MDcyaGgwc3F3
Sorry, no idea on prices.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 03:09:24 pm by Oldmanmatt »

monkoffunk

• junky
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
Wow, I did actually realise how long I’d been here for. Originally signed up in 2010 after Ian Cooper encouraged me to join power club. 2016 for this iteration after a bit of an absence. I’m also outside the Sheffield core but I certainly haven’t felt excluded. I was really quite surprised by how many people seemed to be following along when I was trying to climb my first 8a and the encouragement to keep going was helpful when it became my longest siege.

I try not to argue about politics etc on the internet because it is totally pointless, but on UKB I get the impression that even though people might disagree they do it agreeably. For the most part. Seems like a bit of an internet outlier. It’s the only place I’ll really even get into a conversation with people I don’t know.

That said definitely the end of year/start of year threads are a highlight with power club keeping some accountability during the year.

stone

• junky
There should be a Best of UKB highlights thread that collates them.
A few months ago I tried to search for what I remembered as being my favourite ever UKB post from years ago. I think it was by Dave Parry replying to Stevie Haston. It went something like, "Being able to use a chairlift or eat a chapati in its natural habitat isn't what matters. The mark of a true all-round climber is being able to cut it at Burbage, Rubicon AND the Tor."

I drew `a blank though. Did I just dream it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal