the shizzle > music, art and culture

The right to counter-protest

(1/14) > >>

stone:
I've never been involved in a street protest but I see them as a fairly crucial aspect of democracy.

My impression is that current UK policing is struggling with their endeavours to balance the right to protest and a desire to maintain harmony and order. They seem to be following a (implicit?) protocol where protests are allowed but counter protests confronting such protests are not.

I can see how such a policing strategy has come about. I'm sort of conflicted in my views about it. Is it enough to allow people to stage their own protest so long as it is away from a protest demonstrating the counter viewpoint? Or is that limitation curtailing the most important right of all -the right to stand up against a mob?

Wellsy:
As with many things my views on counter protests and protests come down to what the protests are protesting about. I appreciate that from a legal and policy perspective that's basically useless though.

stone:

--- Quote from: Wellsy on April 21, 2024, 09:46:17 am ---As with many things my views on counter protests and protests come down to what the protests are protesting about. I appreciate that from a legal and policy perspective that's basically useless though.

--- End quote ---
But isn't it crucial to have a system of democracy?

Even, if at a moment in time, we had a government with a viewpoint that perfectly aligned with your own, don't you see that as something precarious that requires democracy in order to keep things OK longer term?

teestub:
Do you have actual examples you’re thinking of Stone? There seem to have been plenty of protests and counter protests over the past few years.

mrjonathanr:
A really interesting topic, Stone. Thanks for posting. There is a lot that could be considered here, but if I may, I will just pick up on one point you make.

--- Quote from: stone on April 21, 2024, 09:17:03 am ---I've never been involved in a street protest but I see them as a fairly crucial aspect of democracy.

My impression is that current UK policing is struggling with their endeavours to balance the right to protest and a desire to maintain harmony and order.

--- End quote ---

Do you think the government is endeavouring to balance -ie to respect- the right to protestt?

Climate protestors might think otherwise. For climbing onto a bridge: 3 years’ imprisonment.
/just-stop-oil-marcus-decker-morgan-trowland-jail-dartford-crossing

For holding a placard reiterating an existing right of juries: on trial at the High Court herself for contempt of court:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68846780

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/13/how-will-recent-and-future-legislation-affect-the-right-to-protest-in-the-uk#:~:text=The%20Police%2C%20Crime%2C%20Sentencing%20and,may%20now%20be%20shut%20down.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights expresses concern over UK legislation:
https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/04/1136107#:~:text=The%20Public%20Order%20Act%20introduces,particular%20people%2C%20or%20even%20to

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version