UKBouldering.com

Spad climbing (Read 991 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Spad climbing
Today at 01:03:32 pm
I'm going to keep this vague as it covers areas where access is sensitive and only persists due to BMC agreements. Some of you may have seen a recent UKC thread which was pulled for this reason.

There is seems to be an increasing trend on Peak lime for what I'll call 'Spad' climbing - treating hard trad routes as sport routes, involving (sometimes protracted) sieges on top-rope in preparation for an eventual lead, typically on pre-placed gear.

I am not interested in the ethical rights and wrongs of this, at least not here. What I am bothered about is that this in several instances involves the installation of in situ fixed ropes, tat, and bolts to facilitate easy access to the top of the route(s). In the most topical example a load of this was removed recently (sparking UKC thread) only for it to be immediately replaced plus new bolts, despite attention being drawn to the BMC RAD entry which (quite unusually) specifically states that such activity is an issue and needs clearing with NGO landowner via the BMC.

The alternative to this via ferrata style arrangement involves leading a choice of routes, several starred, from HS-E2. Is this simply too much to ask of an prospective H7 or H9 leader? Do such climbers think their convenience is more important than jeopardising access relations here? Does climbing hard entitle you to ignore access agreements?

If you know what routes I'm referring to here please avoid mentioning them, the crag or the area. We don't want to make things worse or this thread will be deleted too. But genuinely interested in your perspectives. Thanks.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 02:24:22 pm
In this instance placing new bolts and leaving ropes overnight has the potential to cause access problems. As a one off it might go unnoticed but it sounds like this one has got quite popular. I'm pretty sure it's not the sort of new normal that will go unnoticed for long.
Placing of unauthorised bolts two years ago was reported to the owner and created considerable headaches. As well as having to meet the owner on site to calm the waters, I had to take a day out to remove the hangers (after another UKBer had  already wasted a day doing the same thing 6 months earlier, only for the bolts to re-appear).
It would be good if this didn't carry on here.

T_B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 03:11:11 pm
What perspectives do you expect to get? Given the access sensitivities, it’s a bit short sighted to do this. I would really like to do one of the routes in question. If climbing there gets banned I would be pretty peeved.

Unfortunately people are also publicising it (positively) on socials. Ignorance is bliss?

csl

• junky
#3 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 04:30:16 pm
It’s a shame it has to be kept secret as I guess (pray/hope) those who are adding the bolts + access ropes are just unaware and having the information out there might prevent someone doing it again? (I obviously understand why we are not naming the area/route)

I didn’t get a chance to see the UKC thread but hopefully at least the thread creator and the recent ascentionists have been told, I guess they are the people most likely to have reinstated the via ferrata?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#4 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 05:35:15 pm
I guess, so many times, it happens too fast, you trade your passion for glory. It’s important that you don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past, you must fight just to keep them alive

AlistairB

• addict
#5 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 06:01:36 pm
We climbed the classic low E grade route to get up there last summer and were pretty shocked to discover the via ferrata arrangement and the amount of fixed kit up there in general. My first reaction to seeing the UKC thread about the chopping was "good" to be honest, I'm inclined to agree with JB that if people want that tick, putting the work in to access the route without leaving fixed gear shouldn't be much of an additional hardship, and maintaining access should always be the top priority.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 07:13:40 pm
Can anyone describe exactly what is installed?

Without letting slip the name of the venue, which I'm sure no one could possibly work out from what's been said.

ToxicBilberry

#7 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 07:21:17 pm
It’s hard to give a perspective without getting into the ethics. On a basic level of the landowner doesn’t want bolts and fixed gear placed, then it seems straightforward. Don’t place them.

Hydraulic Man

• player
#8 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 07:56:25 pm
The same landowner who is content to have over a 100 dogs on a dog walking meet on a summers afternoon like we witnessed last May.

I'm sorry but some perspective is required here.

ToxicBilberry

#9 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 08:21:19 pm
The same landowner who is content to have over a 100 dogs on a dog walking meet on a summers afternoon like we witnessed last May.

Is this false equivalence or a straw-man?

webbo

• forum hero
#10 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 08:53:11 pm

I might not agree with aspects of land ownership and how said land was acquired but as the the law stands. It’s up to the landowner who they invite on to their land.

AlistairB

• addict
#11 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 09:11:14 pm
Can anyone describe exactly what is installed?

Without letting slip the name of the venue, which I'm sure no one could possibly work out from what's been said.

I'm not sure what's there now, but last summer there was a "hand-rail" of tat running along the top of the whole buttress (though not visible from below), at least one bolt (possibly a whole two bolt lower-off IIRC) near the top of the E9 and then a fixed line running all the way to the floor down the HS, from memory with loads of in-situ knots presumably for clipping in lanyards. The fixed line wasn't visible from the main path as it's round the back, but it is certainly somewhere easily accessed by non-climbers which doesn't seem like a great idea.

Earlier in the day we experienced an E2 requiring an ab from a long dead tree surrounded by horribly loose rock, genuinely the worst belay I have had to use in many years. But I guess nobody has added any fixed gear there because they actually read the RAD.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#12 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 10:21:11 pm
Sigh, and I thought this was another thread about bolting up Gogarth / Craig Y Forwyn....

Even more disappointed that it took me so long to guess the crag  :ninja: :no:

Obviously I agree with the general condemnation of this on both ethical and access grounds. I would be interested to hear what the people involved have to say.

nik at work

• forum hero
#13 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 10:53:00 pm

I genuinely don’t understand the point you’re making here?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#14 Re: Spad climbing
Today at 10:53:56 pm
I rather hoped this was about Dominic Cummings taking up soloing. Disappointing on so many levels.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal