the shizzle > chuffing

closed project etiquette

<< < (14/14)

spidermonkey09:

--- Quote from: stone on March 29, 2024, 07:08:19 am ---So, as a community, we indulge a very small minority of developers with decades-old closed projects by way of "payment" to developers at large, most of whom don't close projects for unreasonably long periods anyway.

--- End quote ---

Indeed. I don't see a problem with this.

stone:
To me it's good to have this out in the open and talked about.

Discussions such as this will help avoid anyone blundering into developing a project with the intention of keeping it closed for many years as a futuristic training goal.

I also think discussions such as this are good for making people aware of how much gratitude we owe to developers. And I do think naming and guide book entries etc should favour developers much more. For anything but cutting edge routes, the developer and not the first ascentionist gets credit in my eyes anyway.

stone:

--- Quote from: petejh on March 29, 2024, 11:04:17 am ---
--- Quote from: stone on March 29, 2024, 10:49:54 am ---I don't think this "polite communication is all it needs" notion is true.

--- End quote ---
...and what's your suggested alternative for this 'closed project' situation? A facet of climbing which you openly admit you have no involvement in on either side - either as developer or as climber wanting to do closed projects.

--- End quote ---
My suggested alternative is that next time there is a situation like the devils gorge one, more people do as you did and remonstrate with the developer rather than denouncing would-be-route-stealers. Perhaps if that had been the case, it might have been realised by him that everyone was massively appreciative of all his development work but would be more stoked for him sending it as the 200th ascent rather than as the 1st.

petejh:
It was 10 yrs before it got to that point. And I'm unsure if anything I expressed had any effect - I think the bolter just lost motivation in the end. (and rumours emerged of people climbing it anyway)

Sometimes people do just fart in Bonjoy's check-out queue. You need check-outs, queues will form, and people will always need to fart. Sometimes the three will combine whatever an internet-based rule-o-phobe wishes.

--- Quote from: stone on March 29, 2024, 11:12:29 am ---I also think discussions such as this are good for making people aware of how much gratitude we owe to developers. And I do think naming and guide book entries etc should favour developers much more. For anything but cutting edge routes, the developer and not the first ascentionist gets credit in my eyes anyway.

--- End quote ---

As a developer I agree with this (rule..) in principal. And UKB needs more controversy to feed the forum chatter-  this precedent and the endless cases of transgressions by first ascentionists insisting on their own names (at least in the early years of FAnamexit) would provide endless entertainement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version