the shizzle > chuffing

closed project etiquette

<< < (3/14) > >>

abarro81:
Luckily in the UK I think it's fairly rare - there are a couple of obvious examples of long-standing closed projects around, but really only one or two I can think of. Generally projects have been given away after a few years or even sooner. Personally beyond 3-5 years I think things should be open, though again it depends a bit on circumstances...

36chambers:

--- Quote from: Liamhutch89 on March 25, 2024, 02:53:03 pm ---so personally i'm not keen on nicking projects off others

--- End quote ---

you could have fooled me ;)

--- Quote from: edshakey on March 25, 2024, 03:39:47 pm ---Overall, the principle of effort invested to the benefit of others being proportional to time the project stays closed seems broadly fair. If someone spends ages cleaning, bolting, landscaping etc, they probably deserve a bit more time than someone who doesn't have to do any of that.

In that respect, I think you (Liam) would be within your right to ask people not to jump in and nick a first ascent if you've spent a while cleaning the holds and topout, building a landing, etc, when they will clearly benefit from your work. Although obviously if you aren't bothered, then no problem either!

--- End quote ---
+1

I've stumbled across a few boulders that have definitely been cleaned at some point, although I can't find any mention of them anywhere. One of them I found over a year ago and looks untouched since, so I think I might get stuck in now. The other two I only found recently, but they look like they haven't been touched in a couple of years, so I'm undecided whether I should have a bash or wait a bit. Obviously, these might have all been climbed already and I'm just being overly considerate for nothing.

User deactivated.:

--- Quote from: 36chambers on March 25, 2024, 07:41:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: Liamhutch89 on March 25, 2024, 02:53:03 pm ---so personally i'm not keen on nicking projects off others

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Fucker  :lol:

I did say things that hadn't been abandoned for years! And Jon F built the landing anyway  :tease:

But if you want a new project, I've cleaned up around 10 probable 8s in Yorkshire that I haven't gotten around to trying and I'm more than happy to share!

36chambers:

--- Quote from: Liamhutch89 on March 25, 2024, 08:44:21 pm ---
--- Quote from: 36chambers on March 25, 2024, 07:41:25 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Fucker  :lol:

I did say things that hadn't been abandoned for years months! And Jon F built the landing anyway  :tease:

--- End quote ---

Alas, you weren't aware of either of those things at the time. Anyway, this is precisely what stone was trying to avoid :oops:

I'll DM you about those potential eights as it might solve the mystery of

--- Quote from: 36chambers on March 25, 2024, 07:41:25 pm ---I've stumbled across a few boulders that have definitely been cleaned at some point, although I can't find any mention of them anywhere. One of them I found over a year ago and looks untouched since, so I think I might get stuck in now. The other two I only found recently, but they look like they haven't been touched in a couple of years, so I'm undecided whether I should have a bash or wait a bit. Obviously, these might have all been climbed already and I'm just being overly considerate for nothing.

--- End quote ---

User deactivated.:
Of course I was aware it hadn't been tried in years, I spent half a day clearing the top after I found it independently!

But yep, happy to help if I can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version