the shizzle > chuffing

closed project etiquette

(1/14) > >>

stone:
For the first time in the over 20years since I've been sport climbing in the Peak, there don't seem to be any obvious long standing and grumbled about closed projects. So this offers a rare opportunity to reflect on closed project etiquette without it all being clouded by acrimony over actual cases.

I also think I'm ideally placed to bring this up since I'm so crap and slow that no one would ever worry that I'd steal a project; I don't do new routing myself and I climb both with prolific new routers and with people who grumble about closed projects (they are irrelevant to my climbing as I've got plenty else left to do). So this can be a pure, in-principle, type reflection.

My view (happy to be educated though), is that a sensible etiquette might be that there should be a time window of no more than a couple of years after which it would be poor form to keep a project closed. Perhaps even more poor form than stealing such a project if the developer didn't agree to open it after a couple of years.

My thinking is that it is wrong to keep a project closed in the hope that it will spur one on to get better at climbing or whatever. We have very limited rock in the UK. I massively appreciate the work and vision that has produced the routes I so enjoy trying in the Peak (thanks!). But, I don't think such gratitude should sway clear thinking on this. If someone has bolted/cleaned etc a line that is beyond them, then, if they are unhappy to have done it for someone else's first ascent, then that is a screw up of their own making IMO.

I think the French convention of the route being named by the equipper would make a good change to perhaps take the edge off such a two year time limit.

SA Chris:

--- Quote from: stone on March 25, 2024, 01:40:19 pm ---For the first time in the over 20years since I've been sport climbing in the Peak, there don't seem to be any obvious long standing and grumbled about closed projects. So this offers a rare opportunity to reflect on closed project etiquette without it all being clouded by acrimony over actual cases.

--- End quote ---

So you are automatically excluding the rest of the country then?

stone:
Sorry, I guess I didn't think it through properly. I suppose if you join in then people might think it is about a route where you climb etc.

Let's try and put aside specific examples/climbers and instead just think more in the abstract as to what would best serve the climbing community in the future.

Dingdong:
I thought closed projects were'nt a thing in the UK?

stone:

--- Quote from: Dingdong on March 25, 2024, 02:44:00 pm ---I thought closed projects were'nt a thing in the UK?

--- End quote ---
There are old threads on here with bitter squabbles over whether or not decade-old closed UK projects need to be respected (sport routes).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version