the shizzle > diet, training and injuries

Climbing Walls and Gyms. Rules that drive you nuts or make you leave.

<< < (2/7) > >>

tomtom:
"The Rock", Darwin, NT, Australia

A picture tells a thousand words - and this low res image will speak plenty. Its built inside an old WW2 oil storage tank - with no AC or much assisted ventilation of any sort. (its hot and sticky up there for 70% of the year).

I climbed there once - on a Saturday - with kids parties going on (which is fair enough) and zero supervision. Crash mats were drag around things, chalk banned (with the heat ugh...). I gave up after 45 min having got stuck into a roof problem in a bouldering area on a balcony (!!) and having a stream of kids running under me.

moose:
Sounds like a worse version of the old Berghaus bouldering wall in Newcastle (on the top floor of the Eldon Square shopping centre) - in summer it was incredibly hot and humid, the only place I have ever felt the need to go tops off.  When I first went, the matting comprised a few portable gymnastics mats, each the size of a single mattress - which made protecting anything overhanging / traversing a bit tricky.  Then someone broke their ankle, falling on the edge of a mat - so all the mats were removed for a few years to "discourage" people from falling! Climbing there then was a very trad-like, leader-must-not-fall, never-do-a move-you-can't-reverse experience... a bit of a problem as it was an old bendcrete affair, with most holds being tiny polished nubbins.

petejh:
 :lol:
It would keep crowds down if 2 in 10 falls resulted in significant lower limb injury.. eventually there wouldn't be enough people left to ever get overcrowded.. kind of survival of the fittest but more survival of the meek'est.

Dac:
By any current standards the Berghaus wall was pretty poor, but I must confess some nostalgia for the place.

My pet peeve was that in summer, when the temperature and humidity would reach oppressive levels, if you dared to ask the reception staff if they could possibly turn on the extraction fans for a bit then the request would be greeted with such revulsion and hostility that you would think you had asked to take a dump in their mouth.

Fiend:

--- Quote from: thunderbeest on March 24, 2024, 03:39:04 pm ---And some customers give me a strange look when I ask them to put their shirts back on, even though it's only 15 degrees C at the Kilter board.. (37 pounds a month for 2000 sqm)

--- End quote ---
You'd get more than a strange look from me, and I'd expect this...

--- Quote from: Oldmanmatt on March 24, 2024, 12:51:59 pm ---Fair dues: I got a text from the bank as I was driving off, to say they’d refunded me.
So, there’s that.

--- End quote ---
....as I left immediately (as per what the now-boycotted Hangar did).

Forcing customers to inhibit and sabotage their training by enforcing unjustifiable clothing rules that simply aren't suitable for the activity in question is absolutely a rule that drives me mad and has made me leave. The more I think about this rationally and calmly (and talk cheerfully to staff and customers at normal walls), the more I realise how wrong it is, and the more I will avoid such walls at all costs unless I am having to meet a friend in the area. Thankfully there's enough walls in this area that if any of them start pulling this ridiculous stunt, I will just move on to another one. And will hopefully be long gone before it, god forbid, becomes a ridiculous status quo.

Apparently unskippable over-blown intro / induction videos and terribly set stamina circuits are also runners up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version