the shizzle > bouldering

Progress at any age

(1/11) > >>

User deactivated.:
Inspired by the oldies thread.

I thought it was interesting to see what progress people have made as they've carried on climbing, so for those willing, share your best grade by age stats (all ages are invited) and any interesting anecdotes relating to progress.

I'll start:

28: I bouldered outside for the first time and if I remember correctly climbed 6A+

29: my best effort was Demon Wall Roof 7A+, which took 4 sessions and was the first thing I climbed that took more than a single session. I remember at this time I had just started using a hangboard and could only manage +3kg with 2 arms on the Lattice edge for 7 seconds.

30: It took about 6 months to progress from 7A+ to 7B, then I built my first board, got way stronger and jumped straight up to 7C within 3 months of climbing on it. From this point on, I've mostly just used a board and climbed outside once per week on average.

31: 7C+. I discovered limestone and did a few of the local classics (Source of Secrets, Lound Hill link ups, etc). Got a bit stronger.

32: 3 8A's on 3 different rock types (one I thought was easier), despite not really getting any stronger in training.

33: 2 8A+'s on 2 different rock types (one I thought was 8A), getting a bit stronger in training.

34: Much stronger in training, but haven't done my projects. I'm mostly inspired by trying to climb things that I think I probably can't do at the moment. If i'm right, I won't climb anything, but there's still 6 months to get on Remus' list, fuck Fiend's soul climber bollocks ;)

Duncan campbell:
When was your lattice plan??  :worms: :P

Wellsy:
Late 2019, started bouldering with zero athletic base (age 30 I think)

Late 2020, bouldered outside for the first time, 6B and 6B+ not long after

Early 2021, first 6C

Mid 2021, first limestone 7A+ but really probs soft

Late 2021, first proper 7A+

2022, knee injury which I took six months getting back to

Not improved my grade since than really but realistically got a lot more consistent at the 7A/+ level in 2023. Spent a while on my athletic base and now back to trying to focus on climbing.

Hoping to do some 7Bs this year. Various goals at 34/35

User deactivated.:

--- Quote from: Duncan campbell on March 18, 2024, 03:02:24 pm ---When was your lattice plan??  :worms: :P

--- End quote ---

For 6 months at age 31.

Wellsy:
8A in four years is pretty crazy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version