the shizzle > shootin' the shit

Chalk Dust - Long Term Health Impact

<< < (3/6) > >>

tomtom:
Oh - btw it should be possible to reverse calculate long term particulate concentrations by measuring the depth / volume (per area) of chalk accumulation  (we've all put our hand in a cm or so of chalk dust on top of the wall) and considering the settling velocity of the particulates.

User deactivated.:
Thanks Tomtom. What do those numbers mean on your PM (particulate matter?) meter? Is it measuring dust in the <1 to 5 micron range (the stuff that's likely to be hazardous)?

Based on your comment that 30-60 is not considered good for outside air quality, I assume this would mean it exceeds occupational health levels (especially indoors)? If so, that is interesting because it conflicts with the results obtained in the thesis that sxrxg posted. The gymastics gym in that study had a ventilation system and was much larger than an average home wall, so perhaps this is not surprising.

So far I am of the view that fine chalk dust probably is dangerous, but it is dependent on exposure. I am not sure if our exposure is potentially too high as home wall owners.

Maybe I should borrow a particulate matter meter from amazon to test my own space...

Tony:

--- Quote from: Liamhutch89 on March 19, 2024, 10:49:21 am ---So far I am of the view that fine chalk dust probably is dangerous…

--- End quote ---

Define dangerous.
Life is dangerous.
Drinking alcohol is dangerous.

One suspects the reduction in quality of life due to morbidity arising from acute climbing accidents may be greater than that from occasional (unless you work in a climbing wall all your life) exposure to chalk dust over a life course.

One may be wrong; but I bet a lifetime of climbing that I’m not.

Paul B:
Didn't the original BUK have some kind of hashed together system of bathroom fans in a ceiling conduit? I'd planned on doing something similar at my board but realised it doesn't actually get that dusty if you don't use it  :tumble:

User deactivated.:

--- Quote from: Tony S on March 19, 2024, 11:32:45 pm ---
--- Quote from: Liamhutch89 on March 19, 2024, 10:49:21 am ---So far I am of the view that fine chalk dust probably is dangerous…

--- End quote ---

Define dangerous.
Life is dangerous.
Drinking alcohol is dangerous.

One suspects the reduction in quality of life due to morbidity arising from acute climbing accidents may be greater than that from occasional (unless you work in a climbing wall all your life) exposure to chalk dust over a life course.

One may be wrong; but I bet a lifetime of climbing that I’m not.

--- End quote ---

In this context, I'd define dangerous as: 'exposure to chalk dust probably affects respiratory health'. Of course, the dose makes the poison, and that's what we're trying to establish. Tomtom's measurements suggest it may be cause for concern in his home wall.

Alcohol is dangerous, that's why I don't drink it (I have a specific health issue)
Climbing can be dangerous that's why I take crash pads to mitigate the consequence of a fall.
Dust is dangerous, that's why it might be worth mitigating exposure to it (e.g. ventilation, liquid chalk in non-ventilated spaces). I spend 5-10 hours every week in my garage.   

--- Quote from: Paul B on March 20, 2024, 01:31:19 am ---Didn't the original BUK have some kind of hashed together system of bathroom fans in a ceiling conduit? I'd planned on doing something similar at my board but realised it doesn't actually get that dusty if you don't use it  :tumble:

--- End quote ---

If you take a look at the video in my original post it looks like a great option for home use if you actually intend to do something. It seems a lot of woodwork enthusiasts go this route. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version