the shizzle > shootin' the shit

Chalk Dust - Long Term Health Impact

(1/6) > >>

User deactivated.:
Whilst looking into buying a table saw and learning just how expensive effective dust extraction is, I ended up down the rabbit hole of dusts impact on health. Whilst many forms of dust such as silica and wood dust are well understood (very hazardous), not all dust has been studied: I don't think there is any research on the long term health impact of exposure to chalk dust specifically. What does seem fairly clear from my reading is that any dust in the sub 5 micron range can be inhaled deeply into the lungs and has the potential to impact health. It seems that most fine dust that has been studied appropriately is shown to cause negative health effects. Chalk produces dust in the sub 5 micron range and this invisible dust can remain suspended in the air for hours, days or indefinitely depending just how small the particles are (there will be a mix). It is likely that even if the air in your climbing space appears clear you are breathing in lots of dust suspended in the air. I don't want to be alarmist, but it's worthy of consideration.

I'm not an expert. I'll be pleased for someone to convince me that I'm wrong.

For anyone who wants to try extracting fine dust, this is an incredible informative video of how to get better results than commercial units for a fraction of the cost. I'm probably going to build one for any drilling and sawing that goes on in my garage, and I can let it run for 10 minutes at the end of each climbing session. I may even try switching to hideous liquid chalk at home.

sirlockoff:
POF on home boards?

Dac:
I wouldn’t be too concerned about any health risks related to inhalation of climbing chalk, it’s fairly benign, non-toxic, inert stuff.
But most significantly, as far as any concerns relating to the dust being of a sufficiently small particle size to make it into the alveoli of the lungs, magnesium carbonate is soluble in water.

The main issue with dust containing silicates, wood and the like is that if it finds its way into the alveoli the body doesn’t really have a good mechanism to remove it. This leads to inflammation, fibrosis and the like. However, as climbing chalk is reasonably soluble the body is capable of removing it, so it doesn’t build up, and you don’t end up with coal miners lung.

So while you shouldn’t go snorting the stuff, and should probably avoid unnecessary inhalation, it is unlikely to result in you being (to use the medical terminology) deader than fried chicken.

User deactivated.:

--- Quote from: Dac on March 18, 2024, 12:02:39 pm ---I wouldn’t be too concerned about any health risks related to inhalation of climbing chalk, it’s fairly benign, non-toxic, inert stuff.
But most significantly, as far as any concerns relating to the dust being of a sufficiently small particle size to make it into the alveoli of the lungs, magnesium carbonate is soluble in water.

The main issue with dust containing silicates, wood and the like is that if it finds its way into the alveoli the body doesn’t really have a good mechanism to remove it. This leads to inflammation, fibrosis and the like. However, as climbing chalk is reasonably soluble the body is capable of removing it, so it doesn’t build up, and you don’t end up with coal miners lung.

So while you shouldn’t go snorting the stuff, and should probably avoid unnecessary inhalation, it is unlikely to result in you being (to use the medical terminology) deader than fried chicken.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info, do you have a source to back this up? I have not been able to find anything that suggests inhaling chalk dust is ok, only things that point to the opposite (HSE set workplace exposure limits, for example). I hope what you say is correct!

i.munro:

--- Quote from: Dac on March 18, 2024, 12:02:39 pm ---But most significantly, as far as any concerns relating to the dust being of a sufficiently small particle size to make it into the alveoli of the lungs, magnesium carbonate is soluble in water.

--- End quote ---

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_carbonate says "The anhydrous salt is practically insoluble in water, acetone, and ammonia." Is this a different form ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version