the shizzle > get involved: access, environment, BMC

Proposed Calderdale Wind Farm

<< < (17/17)

stone:
One way to look at this is in terms of a global carbon budget. If we burn all the fossil fuels on Earth we could get 8oC warming and v tough consequences. Burn less and it is less tough. Assuming we eventually transition away from fossil fuels (before we have to anyway because they are used up) anything that leaves more fuel in the ground is good. So banning private jets today has big advantages over banning them in ten years time or whatever. Likewise with windturbines.

Fultonius:

--- Quote from: petejh on March 15, 2024, 09:04:26 am ---Vaclav Smil is essential reading to understand this issue. ....... 'it's essential that we build onshore windfarms in the UK in the effort halt global warming'

--- End quote ---

I'm intrigued by this. UK average current (2022 electricity demand is 36GW. The installed capacity of onshore wind as of 2023 was around 12GW.

Now, installed capacity only gives and average of about 30-40% of that, and electricity demand will go up as we heat our homes, fuel our industry and charge our EVs with it, but don't get how that's not a useful contribution?

It's easy just to say "go offshore" but we have a massive ship supply issue ATM, which doesn't so much affect onshore.

Also, for grid stability see California:

https://twitter.com/mzjacobson/status/1769493892955844807   running on 100% renewables for periods up around 4 hours per day and their grid ism essentially (i.e. very minimally, giving very little stability support), not interconnected to other US grids.

@Stone, I'll look a bit more into tidal before replying - bit out of touch these days on that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version