the shizzle > get involved: access, environment, BMC

Proposed Calderdale Wind Farm

<< < (2/17) > >>

Johnny Brown:

--- Quote from: Adam Lincoln on March 14, 2024, 12:22:11 pm ---I love how on the opposition page they state they will be way bigger than Blackpool tower. They wont be.

--- End quote ---

Why? The proposal is for 150-200m. Assuming you think they'll be reduced under the EIA?

I see the Walshaw Moor estate will stop grouse shooting if it goes ahead. They've been under a lot of pressure for poor management over the years, makes you wonder why this site was chosen. Of course the cunt landowner wins either way.

Re: spoiling the view, this is one of the nicest bits of the South Pennines, and close to a lot of people. There are plenty of areas in the Yorkshire dales I'd value less, although they're more protected.

It's difficult. The temperature stats for the last 12 months are absolutely terrifying. The sensible response is probably a moratorium on a lot of travel, but I don't see much sign of that. The techno fixes are too far away.

Adam Lincoln:

--- Quote from: Johnny Brown on March 14, 2024, 01:08:48 pm ---
--- Quote from: Adam Lincoln on March 14, 2024, 12:22:11 pm ---I love how on the opposition page they state they will be way bigger than Blackpool tower. They wont be.

--- End quote ---

Why? The proposal is for 150-200m. Assuming you think they'll be reduced under the EIA?

--- End quote ---

They just dont need to be that height onshore. Even the biggest offshore ones are only getting to that height.

Dingdong:

--- Quote from: spidermonkey09 on March 14, 2024, 12:08:53 pm ---and I don't accept 'spoiling the view' as a reason to avoid infrastructure development.

--- End quote ---

Reminds me of this great piece of writing by John Ruskin about the Monsal Dale Viaduct which is now considered a lovely and historic piece of the scenery:

"There was a rocky valley between Buxton and Bakewell, once upon a time, divine as the Vale of Tempe… You Enterprised a Railroad through the valley – you blasted its rocks away, heaped thousands of tons of shale into its lovely stream. The valley is gone, and the Gods with it; and now, every fool in Buxton can be in Bakewell in half an hour, and every fool in Bakewell at Buxton; which you think a lucrative process of exchange – you Fools everywhere."

petejh:

--- Quote from: Johnny Brown on March 14, 2024, 01:08:48 pm ---It's difficult. The temperature stats for the last 12 months are absolutely terrifying. The sensible response is probably a moratorium on a lot of travel, but I don't see much sign of that. The techno fixes are too far away.

--- End quote ---

I'd choose a moratorium on bitcoin mining before travel JB.

Supply stagnates, price rockets, no more energy used. Win-win  :P

abarro81:
Will respond more later, but I find Pete's argument hugely unconvincing! Waiting 25 years in case something better comes along is a terrible plan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version