the shizzle > chuffing

Progress as you get older

(1/21) > >>

Wood FT:
've just returned from a holiday clipping bolts and feel the fire a bit after a few years in the doldrums.

Starting this thread as a means to stoke it, mine the fertile seam of ukb elders and motivate myself for something in England. 

Has anyone on here climbed their hardest route over the age of 40? Please share approach to training, sacrifices (if any) and how long it took.

Thanks!

User deactivated.:
The poster boy for this is Martin Keller who went from 8A(?) in his 30's to 8C+ at 45.

Wood FT:
Yeah looking for closer to home really.

monkey boy:
Moon climbing Rainshadow in 50's.

I'm not quite 40 but definitely feel like on certain things I'm still climbing as well, if not better than ever.

Dave Parry climbed Keen Roof last year, his hardest boulder and he's early 40's (?)

jwi:

--- Quote from: Wood FT on March 03, 2024, 03:34:11 pm ---Has anyone on here climbed their hardest route over the age of 40? Please share approach to training, sacrifices (if any) and how long it took.

--- End quote ---

I ldid all my best redpoints after 40. I suspect my late development and improvement late in life is mostly due to starting climbing late in life and having no athletic background. Therefore I started at a very low level and it took me forever to get better.

I do have a bit stronger fingers than ten years ago, but am overall weaker and less snappy. Endurance keep on improving, and on limestone it is quite often possible to leverage endurance to get up hard moves by using intermediate holds.

OTOH I have not improved my best onsight grade since I was 39, so I have not improved in any way that matters except the patience to siege.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version