UKBouldering.com

Help with resurrecting and taking photo with a Kodak Six-16 (Read 199 times)

galpinos

• forum hero

My Mum recently dug out and brought up to Manchester her Mum's old Kodak Six-16 camera, a lovely art deco folding camera from the mid 30s. Having done a little research despite Kodak 616 film no longer being available I can get a conversion kit that will allow me to use 120 film, which seem pretty readily available in quite a few flavors.

So, I have decided I would like to at least manage to take a portrait of mum and her two granddaughters with it. I have checked the bellows and there appears to be no splits or holes. What else do I need to check? The lenses don't appear to have any visible mold, but might be a little "cloudy"? The viewfinder was a little "cloudy" but scrubbed up well with a les cloth, the main lens is a little harder to clean that way?

Also:
- Does anyone recommend a film that is forgiving to a "beginner" in these things?
- Where should I get the film developed?
-  Does anyone know a crib sheet or can help with exposures? It has a 126mm f 6.3 Kodak Anastigmat lens with apertures of f/32, 22, 16, 11 and 8 with speed of 1/25, 1/50 and 1/100*. I understand how aperture, shutter speed and film speed work together but have now idea where to start with this set up. f6.3 or f8 @ 1/50 with 400 film for a "normal day" outside?

Any help/advice etc much appreciated.

*plus bulb and time but I shalln't be touching those!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I know it sounds obvious, but i think there's an app for that.

You can download lightmeter apps, don't think they are very accurate, but could be a starter point, and print film is reasonably forgiving for a stop or 2 of exposure either way? Otherwise there will be tables on line for recommended exposures.

I do have a small handheld lightmeter in a leather case that I was given lying in a box somewhere, must be at least 70 years old. I could send it if it was any use? (and I could find it.....)   

benpritch

• forum abuser

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
just bring a digital camera with good metering, set it to the same iso, and use aperture priority mode. Take a test picture and double check the histogram. If it is good, set the camera to the same shutter speed

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal