places to visit > something for the weekend - hookups and lifts

why did hitchhiking fizzle out?

<< < (19/19)

Wil:
I used to hitch quite a bit when I was younger. I spent 3 months in New Zealand in 2004 and with so many backpackers getting a ride was easy. In fact, people went out of their way to help, and I've met some interesting people on the way.

One elderly couple I met in a bar offered me and my mate a ride to Auckland at the end of our trip, it was about a 3 hour drive. They showed up the next morning in a 3 door Nissan Micra and crammed us in (my mate is about 6' 4") with our huge rucksacks. They refused any petrol money, and took us right to the door of our accommodation. They were Irish, and on learning that we were Welsh the man started a long story about a running bet on the 6(5) Nations that he had with a Welsh friend, and produced a pound note signed by him and his friend. It turned out I actually knew him, my dad rented some land from him.

Another ride was from a British academic. He drove like a lunatic and made lots of dodgy overtakes. Eventually we got pulled over by the police, who'd had reports of a speeding driver, but hadn't got any direct evidence. They gave him a telling off and he was pretty anxious about it. He bought me lunch to say sorry for the inconvenience.

The best ride was from a young Maori guy. He took me to his mum's house, and we had a huge traditional meal with his family and some friends, then we went to a local river to collect jade that he used to make jewellery.

The only slightly scary experience I had was when I was about 10 and my dad picked up a hitcher on our way back from the Royal Welsh Show, which was our standard start of the summer holidays family jolly. There were already 5 of us (Mum, Dad and 3 kids, 3, 7 and 10) plus all the clutter of a family day out, in a Daihatsu Fourtrak. Mum was understandably angry that Dad was picking someone up with an already full car, but then seemed even more angry when it turned out to be someone Dad knew (no big surprise at a farming event). Dad looked a little awkward. I was stuck in the boot to make room. "Haven't seen you in a while," said Dad, looking guilty. There was a silence. Dad knew full well why he hadn't seen him, he'd just been released from prison for attempted murder!

SamT:

--- Quote ---"Haven't seen you in a while," said Dad, looking guilty. There was a silence. Dad knew full well why he hadn't seen him, he'd just been released from prison for attempted murder!
--- End quote ---

Just brilliant.... so your dad met him in prison right?? :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version