UKBouldering.com

Topic split: Ondra repeats Bon Voyage and grade debate (Read 3850 times)

Kingy

• forum hero

with time, and a growing number of repeat assents will settle to a position which allows would be climbers some indication of the challenge ahead.

What happens if they disagree with the proposed grade?

I think we should allow a little poetic licence to Dan here, I think its meant as an artistic piece parodying the trend in recent years to gamify grading to the Nth degree with ever more complex rating systems. In the event of possible disagreement, I would imagine a quiet word to the relevant mod of UKC might do the trick.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

with time, and a growing number of repeat assents will settle to a position which allows would be climbers some indication of the challenge ahead.

I guess that would be dissent rather than assent 😄

Kingy

• forum hero

My guess would be 'ascents'.

Kingy

• forum hero
Dan adds he thought it would be assumed that disagreement on the grade of something is eventually resolved in the interaction between the climbers repeating the route. That the grade ‘settles’ is implicit in what he wrote.

Dan goes on to express his disappointment that picking over spelling and grammar or calling what he wrote BS is the best the UKB intelligentsia can do?

Nails

• addict
Seeing as Dan is banned from the forum, it seems pretty weird that he's now posting by proxy.

Teaboy

• forum hero
It’s like when Gerry Adam’s was voiced by actors on BBC news because the IRA were banned from speaking on it.

petejh

• forum hero
I'm imagining Dan as a gloopy ball of brain matter floating in one of those big Victorian-era glass jars, sitting on a shelf in Kingy's study (Kingy has as study in my imagination, where he plans his next sport project in impeccable detail).

Ask him/it if the lunar lander will be successful today please Kingy  :ang:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Do you remember the Roald Dahl short story called William and Mary? Is that where you got that thought from?

andy popp

• forum hero
Dan goes on to express his disappointment that picking over spelling and grammar or calling what he wrote BS is the best the UKB intelligentsia can do?

Did he actually expect a different outcome?

petejh

• forum hero
Do you remember the Roald Dahl short story called William and Mary? Is that where you got that thought from?

No I'd never heard of that one. Have just looked it up. My Roald Dahl reads growing up were Danny.., BFG, Giant Peach, obvs Chocolate Factory, Mr Fox.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Read Tales of the Unexpected for an insight into his brilliant twisted mind...

reeve

• obsessive maniac

At least someone got it!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

In my understanding the grading of a British traditional rock climb is not a reductionistic process which attempts to speak purely to an empirical system, as if that were all reality offers. It is an individual and social effort, a communion of modes of being, the subjective, the objective and being itself, it is symbolic of what is not said or not able to be known in words, that being a greater encompassing knowledge, unreachable by science and empiricism and alluding to the 'implicate order' sought in the uneasy tension of the Loving Struggle.[/i]

Yossarian, that’s your next LNDN CLMBR opinion piece sorted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal