the shizzle > chuffing

History of UK grades?

<< < (3/3)

Offwidth:
 It might affect it's future though if it encourages poor style top-roping, pre redpoint attempt :devil-smiley:

mrjonathanr:

--- Quote from: Kingy on February 21, 2024, 09:23:37 am ---Calvary was E4 6a is part of what gives UK climbing character. If this is quietly binned then we all lose out and part of the richness is lost. 

--- End quote ---
I think a knowledge of how a grade has evolved can illuminate how people viewed a route. Whether that is significant enough to retain,  don’t know. Calvary was previously E4 5c, Maybe even XS in ‘76?

Kingy:

--- Quote from: mrjonathanr on February 22, 2024, 12:33:33 am ---
--- Quote from: Kingy on February 21, 2024, 09:23:37 am ---Calvary was E4 6a is part of what gives UK climbing character. If this is quietly binned then we all lose out and part of the richness is lost. 

--- End quote ---
I think a knowledge of how a grade has evolved can illuminate how people viewed a route. Whether that is significant enough to retain,  don’t know. Calvary was previously E4 5c, Maybe even XS in ‘76?

--- End quote ---

I bow to your superior knowledge. I first started climbing at Stanage in 1993 so anything before that is an unknown quantity. Fascinating to see how the grades have come on over the years.

webbo:

--- Quote from: mrjonathanr on February 22, 2024, 12:33:33 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
It was XS 5c in the Bancroft guide which stated it was now free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version