the shizzle > chuffing

History of UK grades?

(1/3) > >>

Kingy:
This E grader 'progress' with E grades is all well and good and it seems like the humble UK tech grade will be gently ushered the door in digital databases in the future if I foresee it correctly.

Once paper guidebooks have made their way to landfill in the next 10 - 20 years, how are people to know the history of our E graded climbs if they are not recorded online? I think the full E grade plus tech grade is an integral part of UK climbing history and as such worth preserving. Knowing that Indian Face was graded E9 6c in 1986 by Johnny or that Calvary was E4 6a is part of what gives UK climbing character. If this is quietly binned then we all lose out and part of the richness is lost. 

I accept all technical/ convenience arguments regarding UK grades but don't think they can ever justify erasing part of climbing history.

northern yob:
Agreed sad times indeed….. climbing continues to become at least in the mainstream more soulless! There’s plenty of soul out there it’s just being pushed into the margins, which given it used to have more soul but was a marginal sport maybe balances it all out. It pisses me off that the likes of lattice/wideboyz and Ukc seem to give it traction just for clicks but that’s the world we live in!

shark:
There will always be an enthusiastic segment of the climbing community that love and will preserve its history

Paul B:

--- Quote from: shark on February 21, 2024, 11:10:08 am ---There will always be an enthusiastic segment of the climbing community that love and will preserve its history

--- End quote ---

Exactly. I bet more than one of us can name a B9 graded problem for instance?

andy_e:
Trackside?

Oh no, that was B8 apparently

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version