UKBouldering.com

Climbers that suddenly stopped (Read 10789 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#25 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 09:41:08 am
I don't know him personally, but does Paul Smitton still climb?

I believe so. Smitton was the kid winning the BRYCS when I was that age and the first house I bought in Lancashire was from his boss at the time. Our paths crossed because of this a couple of times (as his boss moved a few houses further up the road) and he was building a mega board at home.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#26 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 11:51:20 am
another strong climber who was always in the magazines was Adam Dewhurst. Anyone know if he still climbs? I remember he was mega active in the late 90s/ early 2000s doing really well in international comps

remus

• forum hero
#27 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 12:17:39 pm
What about Jamie Cassidy? Beat Malc to the FA of Directors Cut in the cave, but don't think I've heard anything else about him.

Stabbsy

• junky
#28 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 12:23:23 pm
What about Jamie Cassidy? Beat Malc to the FA of Directors Cut in the cave, but don't think I've heard anything else about him.
He was an IFSC routesetter, not sure if he still is. I’ve seen him at Longridge fairly recently - maybe 5/6 years ago.

Paul B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 01:02:22 pm
He still has a business selling really nicely textured volumes so I'd expect so?

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#30 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 02:23:03 pm
I think my favourite tale, recounted by Sherman IIIRC, was of two un-named Swiss climbers who topping out on Salathe simply untied, dumped their gear on the ground, turned and walked away.....

I've heard that one too, I think it was in one of John Long's books, How to Rock Climb perhaps?
[/qu, I'm in in
You're right Remus, it was JL,The story was called 'Wall Rats'.

Paul B

• forum hero
#31 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 02:38:55 pm
Does Robin Barker still climb? Likewise Neil Bentley? Last time I saw Neil he looked like a machine and was trying to talk me into entering a hill climb event having just bought a bike.

T_B

• forum hero
#32 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 02:50:18 pm
Paul - take your copy of The Power of Climbing down to the Depot on a Tuesday evening and you’ll get a dozen signatures. It’s like some ‘90s club night.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#33 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 03:06:15 pm
I think my favourite tale, recounted by Sherman IIIRC, was of two un-named Swiss climbers who topping out on Salathe simply untied, dumped their gear on the ground, turned and walked away.....

I've heard that one too, I think it was in one of John Long's books, How to Rock Climb perhaps?

So fiction?

Paul B

• forum hero
#34 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 03:49:00 pm
Paul - take your copy of The Power of Climbing down to the Depot on a Tuesday evening and you’ll get a dozen signatures. It’s like some ‘90s club night.

I'm not sure I could contain myself. :lets_do_it_wild:

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#35 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 04:15:30 pm

So fiction?
Don't think so jwi, it was an elegy for big wall climbing BITD and the characters involved in a lot of who were recognised names.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#36 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 04:29:52 pm
If it's Rock Jocks, Wall Dogs and Hang Rats, it's supposedly biographical.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#37 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 04:48:30 pm
If it's Rock Jocks, Wall Dogs and Hang Rats, it's supposedly biographical.
Thanks Chris, that sounds right.Think it's in a collection called Rock Junction?

Many of his stories seem to appear ito be repeated n different anthologies.Away from home just now so can't check.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 04:55:38 pm by sherlock »

gme

• forum hero
#38 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 05:42:06 pm

It’s quite amazing who turns up from the 90s scene. robin, John Welford, Rich heap, Bentley,  tim Freeman was there one week on a trip from Aus. His brother is there a lot.
Jon Court, si scully, lots of bens.
Amazing how many are still climbing.

SamT

• forum hero
#39 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 05:49:45 pm
Saw Mike Lea rocking up at the works yesterday afternoon.   8)

(It's almost as though climbing is such a cool and deeply routed  past time that it stays with people for their entire lives, thus makes it a point of conversation that some folks suddenly stop entirely  :blink:).

gme

• forum hero
#40 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 06:35:05 pm
Everyone of us is nursing lots of aches and pains though. Bouldering is  a pretty brutal sport in your 50s/60s.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#41 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 07:24:55 pm
Rich Simpson!!

I had some fairly reliable evidence that he's climbing again. But keeps a low profile.

remus

• forum hero
#42 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 09:04:21 pm
Rich Simpson!!

I had some fairly reliable evidence that he's climbing again. But keeps a low profile.

Video evidence available on request I assume?

Jerry Morefat

• addict
#43 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 05, 2024, 10:52:07 pm
Rich Simpson!!

Video evidence available on request I assume?

A quick Google brought up this account of his boxing career which made me chuckle.

with quiet confidence,Cambridge fans watched on as Rich Simpson took to the ring.Having over 60 bouts to his name,the Cambridge man was the sure favourite against the Oxford debutant.Although the Light Blue managed to knockhis opponent down late in the first round,the gulf in experience was unapparent.As the final two rounds saw Simpson tire, he resorted to‘dancing-on-ice’style pirouettes to evade further punishment;meanwhile Oxford’s Light-Middleweight pushed forwards to clinch the bout by a majority decision and put the Dark Blues ahead for the first time.

https://www.sport.cam.ac.uk/files/sportsyearbook2012.pdf

stone

• forum abuser
#44 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 06, 2024, 06:41:00 am
It's great to hear Rich Simpson is climbing again. I hope he is enjoying himself. He may have been an abject pants-on-fire liar but he was always great fun at the crag.

Durbs

• forum hero
#45 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 06, 2024, 01:44:06 pm
Hi didn't fully stop, but always respected Tyler Landman for pausing climbing to go become a doctor.

From legendary Dosage outings with Dave Graham, and nabbing Smiling Buttress, then off to med school in the states.

36chambers

• forum hero
#46 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 06, 2024, 02:55:38 pm
Does Robin Barker still climb?

He burnt me off on Blind Date about 4 years ago. Bumped into him, and I think Welford, at Wharncliffe last year too.

stone

• forum abuser
#47 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 06, 2024, 03:28:18 pm

He burnt me off on Blind Date about 4 years ago. Bumped into him, and I think Welford, at Wharncliffe last year too.
Those two and Jon Barton were also doing routes at Moat last autumn.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#48 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 06, 2024, 05:22:48 pm
Hi didn't fully stop, but always respected Tyler Landman for pausing climbing to go become a doctor.

From legendary Dosage outings with Dave Graham, and nabbing Smiling Buttress, then off to med school in the states.

Lets not forget the legendary Font trip!!!

He's got a good Instagram

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#49 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 06, 2024, 08:25:05 pm

He’s mainly a cyclist   :jab:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal