the shizzle > get involved: access, environment, BMC

180k cragx Mill Bridge

<< < (2/48) > >>

Dingdong:

--- Quote from: Hoseyb on February 02, 2024, 10:11:27 am ---
--- Quote from: Dingdong on February 02, 2024, 09:40:54 am ---So who’s got the contract? Is it Mone again? Why would a small footbridge cost £180k, someone please enlighten me!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C21m3QuM2OZ/?igsh=MTBjcWQ2OWJzcTF5

--- End quote ---

With the way litigation culture is going I imagine it will be hopelessly over engineered, and some of the money would be for liability insurance and maintenance contracts

--- End quote ---

I imagine they’ll go bowderstone way and put up some hideous metal contraption. I still don’t get where the £180k is going because they reckon it’ll require minimal maintenance afterwards…

I think someone’s getting paid well from this…

Bradders:
Are any of you structural engineers?

I love a good pile on, but why the scepticism?

It's a fairly long footbridge, in an area extremely prone to flooding, across an active, steep water course with limited vehicular access, which needs to be sufficiently resilient to withstand all the abuse of a changing climate with minimal ongoing maintenance requirement, all in an area of outstanding natural beauty that has to be preserved during construction.

Similarly the existing one needs to be dismantled in a careful manner which avoids damage to the surrounding area.

Unfortunately, nice things cost money. Sure the army could knock another one up, but there's a reason the current one only lasted 30-odd years.

Hoseyb:
Probably pays for a series of risk assessments prior to demolition, rather than a bunch of climbers turning up at midnight with chainsaws and waders

--- Quote from: spidermonkey09 on February 02, 2024, 09:52:20 am ---https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/learning-about/news/current-news/replacing-the-footbridge-at-cragx-mill

Some more context. I'll dismantle the existing one for 20k...

--- End quote ---

Hoseyb:
But also what Bradders says...

teestub:
Just the time getting the appropriate permits from the EA and Natural England for working near the watercourse and within a SSSI will prob run to £10k or more. 

Is there a road down to the bridge location or will they need to build one, or use a big crane with an associated road closure to get the materials in?

Lots to consider for such a small project, things have moved on quite a bit since the army hoiked a couple of RSJs and some wood down there 40 years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version