UKBouldering.com

180k cragx Mill Bridge (Read 13931 times)

Tony

• menacing presence
  • “Comedic genius”
#25 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 02:00:56 pm
Incoming! Clear madness. We're not talking about chicken farms, construction sites, houses here. We're talking about a little footbridge over a little stream.

I think you’ve got the wrong bridge. And self-evidently it would be a “construction site”.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#26 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 02:03:53 pm

Incoming! Clear madness. We're not talking about chicken farms, construction sites, houses here. We're talking about a little footbridge over a little stream.

Ah yea not surprised that’s your opinion on this, this post stuck with me!

My own pet theory for why we might see progress locally slowing in developed economies/countries is due to too many laws/over-regulation, risk aversion and total obsession with ensuring physical safety at any cost with the upshot that innovation in most areas is completely hamstrung and we just generally can't get anything done, especially anything 'real world'. 

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#27 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 02:11:12 pm
Thats a good potential thread, if SteveR replies in a new one!

gme

• forum hero
#28 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 02:13:18 pm
People really do have little idea of how much things cost. We are not bridge builders per se but could do so if asked and i can have a decent guess that 180k will not cover the cost of that bridge.

Good luck if you take it at that and expect to make money on it.

Tony

• menacing presence
  • “Comedic genius”
#29 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 02:34:21 pm
If you'd like to contribute to a - conservatively priced - new bridge at Cress.brook Mill (i.e. to access Moat Buttress) you can donate to the PDNP Foundation's fundraiser for this at: https://shorturl.at/cesz8

[PS: Could the mods please delete the irritating auto-replace of Cress.brook with Cragx?]

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#30 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 02:46:05 pm
Tony, you seem pretty highly strung. What’s up? This thread was just questioning the cost, not the need, health and safety required to build it etc.

I think people are just weary of costs due to past mismanagement from various organisations up and down the country.

Excuse us for thinking this is pricey for a bridge but from what people have explained that sounds about right I guess. I’ll happily donate some money towards it, just wanted to make sure the money isn’t going into some tories pocket.

Tony

• menacing presence
  • “Comedic genius”
#31 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 02:50:55 pm
I’ll happily donate some money towards it, just wanted to make sure the money isn’t going into some tories pocket.

Glad to hear you’ll be contributing, Dong. My work is done.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#32 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 03:04:05 pm
I’ll happily donate some money towards it, just wanted to make sure the money isn’t going into some tories pocket.

Would it be ok if the embezzlement was being carried out by a Labour Party member instead?

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#33 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 03:14:39 pm

Would it be ok if the embezzlement was being carried out by a Labour Party member instead?

Labour ain’t been in charge for 14 years or ruined the country  :lol:

Steve R

• forum abuser
#34 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 03:37:49 pm

I think you’ve got the wrong bridge. And self-evidently it would be a “construction site”.

Ah fair enough, yeah wrong bridge. Probably a bargain then.

stone

• forum abuser
#35 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 06:27:44 pm
John Fullwood previously posted that he had costed up repairs to the bridge (that were never carried out) a few years ago. I wonder whether it would have been much cheaper to have done that then instead of this now.

tk421a

• addict
#36 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 06:34:20 pm
I'm a bit out of the loop having never been. I'm not local to the peak and there's limited info about it.

As I understand it there isn't any access... But the BMC is giving a £10k grant for a bridge to access a place that shouldn't be accessed?

remus

• forum hero
#37 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 06:36:23 pm
John Fullwood previously posted that he had costed up repairs to the bridge (that were never carried out) a few years ago. I wonder whether it would have been much cheaper to have done that then instead of this now.

It sounds like the engineering report condemed the entire structure so I don't think that would have made any difference.

stone

• forum abuser
#38 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 06:40:46 pm
When I was disgruntled at how long a bridge replacement was taking I googled and these came up as what appeared (to my ignorant perusal) a quick cheap solution. https://www.creativecompositesgroup.com/products/pedestrian-bridges-boardwalks/pedestrian-bridges

stone

• forum abuser
#39 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 06:43:44 pm
I'm a bit out of the loop having never been. I'm not local to the peak and there's limited info about it.

As I understand it there isn't any access... But the BMC is giving a £10k grant for a bridge to access a place that shouldn't be accessed?

It isn't actually for that famous "secret" bouldering venue but rather for getting from Rubicon to Moat and WCJ Cornice and the Monsal Trail

tk421a

• addict
#40 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 06:54:23 pm

It isn't actually for that famous "secret" bouldering venue but rather for getting from Rubicon to Moat and WCJ Cornice and the Monsal Trail

Got it thanks!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#41 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 09:37:19 pm
Just trying to decide where to allocate £180k. Terrace house in an unfashionable part of Sheffield or small footbridge with a troll underneath ?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 08:18:09 am by shark »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#42 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 02, 2024, 09:55:44 pm
If you'd like to contribute to a - conservatively priced - new bridge at Cress.brook Mill (i.e. to access Moat Buttress) you can donate to the PDNP Foundation's fundraiser for this at: https://shorturl.at/cesz8

[PS: Could the mods please delete the irritating auto-replace of Cress.brook with Cragx?]

Conservative my arse, and seeing as it’s you…

(What’s happened to you? When and why did you become so establishment? )

Tony

• menacing presence
  • “Comedic genius”
#43 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 03, 2024, 12:11:02 am
Conservative my arse, and seeing as it’s you…

Don’t take my word for it, bitey, see:

People really do have little idea of how much things cost. We are not bridge builders per se but could do so if asked and i can have a decent guess that 180k will not cover the cost of that bridge.

and

As its part of my day job organising and managing installs of similar bridges the estimate doesn't seem too far off market rate, the costs of bridges regardless of material goes up steeply with longer spans, up to around 12m prices seem reasonable but after that.....  Access and hire of special plant etc for getting materials to and from site also isn't cheap.

Stubly also made a good point Re the Environment Agency and conservation areas etc can add a lot of paperwork and cost and influence how and what is done on site.

So when considering,

where to allocate £180k. Terrace house in unfashionable part of Sheffield (With a decent rental yield) or small footbridge with a troll underneath ?

Why don’t you take the profits from your inter-generational inequality generating (until recently) tax-dodging investment in property and put some money into something useful and used by a great many (frequently, it would appear, cheapskate) climbers?

Here’s a link, again, to the PDNP Foundation's fundraiser for this at: https://shorturl.at/cesz8

PS: Nice one to all those charitable folks who have already contributed :beer2:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 12:20:37 am by Tony S »

stone

• forum abuser
#44 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 03, 2024, 06:47:02 am
I totally agree that buy-to-let Landlordism utterly sucks.

I also agree that it is staggering that it takes six annual median wages to replace a footbridge. The £10k figure to do the paperwork needed seems to me emblematic of a screwed up system. But not as emblematic as the fact that the handling charge on donations is almost 10%. Or that the bridge has been closed and tatty for four years now. Many people (me included) have continued using it, but that just emphasises the bullshit of it all.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 07:05:44 am by stone »

Mostly_Inanimate_Beans

• regular
  • Colossal Punter
#45 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 03, 2024, 08:30:53 am
Just trying to decide where to allocate £180k. Terrace house in an unfashionable part of Sheffield or small footbridge with a troll underneath ?

Pay me half the 180k and I'll volunteer to be the troll.
I'll even throw in unhelpful beta for anyone trip trapping across it.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#46 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 03, 2024, 09:15:47 am
Stone and others, if you're confident that you know more about designing and building bridges than people who design and build bridges for a living, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from starting your own engineering firm, outbidding the competition, and becoming phenomenally successful.
That is, unless you don't actually know more about designing and building bridges than people who design and build bridges for a living  :-\

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#47 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 03, 2024, 09:17:07 am

Why don't you build the bridge and charge climbers £10/crossing? Say there's an average of 10 climbers per week from May to September, 20 weeks, £2k per year. ROI of 1.1% minus upkeep, so maybe 0.0%.

Deal of the century Shark, buy buy buy!

stone

• forum abuser
#48 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 03, 2024, 09:26:10 am
Stone and others, if you're confident that you know more about designing and building bridges than people who design and build bridges for a living, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from starting your own engineering firm, outbidding the competition, and becoming phenomenally successful.
That is, unless you don't actually know more about designing and building bridges than people who design and build bridges for a living  :-\
I'm too busy ineptly trying to do the job I'm supposed to be able to do.
I still think that a lot of the planning etc could be stripped back and a generic design footbridge installed.
I'm going along with how it is though. I've reposted the link in a few places and donated.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#49 Re: 180k cragx Mill Bridge
February 03, 2024, 09:30:29 am

I don't work in civils, but I did have to manage an access bridge reinstatement project to a wind turbine that's a bit offshore. I'm surprised it can't be done a bit cheaper than £180k. We had excavators in for a week or two, fixing of sheet piles, backloading and compacting the ground, full site team with welfare cabins etc. and, from memory (I'm and engineer, not a bean counter) it was in that ballpark.

But as Will says, there are people on here that actually do it for a living so I'm inclined to go with them....  :lol:

Could we crowd-source the engineering? ;-)  I'm sure there are enough climbers that are project managers, civil engineers,  planners that it could be cobbled together. Just need Shark to fund the material costs and cranes.  ;)

Is 20 metres too big for a Gluelam bridge? a 30' (10m) one seems to be around €18k delivered, so say $50k, or £40k.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal