the shizzle > get involved: access, environment, BMC

Signatories needed by BMC members for resolutions at the 2024 AGM

<< < (2/6) > >>

shark:

--- Quote from: Davo on February 01, 2024, 04:05:37 pm ---Hi Simon

I’m a BMC member and am not against your idea here. However my only concern is that it might be possible in the future to completely separate (sell off?) GB Climbing from the BMC and therefore the BMC would no longer have control (and also the ability to represent) competition climbing. I generally feel more comfortable with the idea that all facets of climbing should be represented and governed by one body. There are many reasons for this but mainly I just think it gives the BMC  more clout and also it means that the worlds of competition climbing and climbing in general stay connected.In summary the BMC doesn't have the capacity, structure and dexterity to keep the whole show together in a capable way IMO. 

Dave

--- End quote ---

I can see that argument but the BMC has proven itself over stretched in trying to control and understand GBC. Given the Board is composed of people with backgrounds which aren't comp climbing world this perhaps isn't surprising.  At the current run rate of losses the BMC is likely to be looking at assets to sell off unless major cuts are made. Grant funding can be cut at short notice too. The risks aren't just finance. Anorexia/RedS in athletes is a current elephant in the room along with other issues shared with comp sports.   

shark:

--- Quote from: Stabbsy on February 01, 2024, 04:09:06 pm ---Do you need to be a “full” member or would it include people who are members via CC membership?

--- End quote ---

Club membership is definitely full membership! and yes has the same voting rights as individual members

shark:

--- Quote from: Stu Littlefair on February 01, 2024, 04:19:15 pm ---I would consider signing subject to a couple of caveats.

1. I don't like the phrase "and is urged to be more open and transparent in its affairs and more responsive with specific requests for information." It's actually meaningless ('urging' the BMC has no force if passed) and "more responsive with specific requests for information" is too broad and open to abuse.
--- End quote ---

Yes the first part is specific. The second is just a rebuke and reminder.

--- Quote ---2. Can you clarify what is meant by "It would also be desirable if the Board made any subsidy, loan or bailout to this new body subject to a reserved matter that is included in the articles"? Again, "it is desirable" is meaningless, so if you want this, why not change to "the Board shall"?

--- End quote ---

I'd love to but that would require a change of articles (ie the insertion of a reserved matter clause) which in turn would require it to be a special rather than ordinary resolution and therefore a 75% majority rather 50% majority which is too much of an ask. Assuming the resolution gets carried and the subsid is set up then if the Board didn't get the hint about the reserved matter there's always the option to pitch in again at the 2025 AGM via Members Council or with member support for a special resolution of this type.

shark:
Further to feedback on BMC Watch and ukc I've set up two further petitions for those who want to separately support one of the two resolutions.

Here are the links:

BMC Resolution: Disclosure of finances for GB Climbing

https://chng.it/DztL4x2KyV

BMC Resolution: Set GB Climbing up as a separate subsidiary:

https://chng.it/XPMn2xybGF

Davo:

--- Quote from: shark on February 01, 2024, 05:14:36 pm ---
--- Quote from: Davo on February 01, 2024, 04:05:37 pm ---Hi Simon

I’m a BMC member and am not against your idea here. However my only concern is that it might be possible in the future to completely separate (sell off?) GB Climbing from the BMC and therefore the BMC would no longer have control (and also the ability to represent) competition climbing. I generally feel more comfortable with the idea that all facets of climbing should be represented and governed by one body. There are many reasons for this but mainly I just think it gives the BMC  more clout and also it means that the worlds of competition climbing and climbing in general stay connected.In summary the BMC doesn't have the capacity, structure and dexterity to keep the whole show together in a capable way IMO. 

Dave

--- End quote ---

I can see that argument but the BMC has proven itself over stretched in trying to control and understand GBC. Given the Board is composed of people with backgrounds which aren't comp climbing world this perhaps isn't surprising.  At the current run rate of losses the BMC is likely to be looking at assets to sell off unless major cuts are made. Grant funding can be cut at short notice too. The risks aren't just finance. Anorexia/RedS in athletes is a current elephant in the room along with other issues shared with comp sports.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the reply Simon. I haven’t got anything to counter your concerns above and I suspect it is a case of which is the least bad option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version