UKBouldering.com

Medical advice (Read 6491 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
#25 Re: Medical advice
January 18, 2024, 09:56:34 am

I don't wish to alarm you, and the combination of symptoms your dad has could be due to any of a very long list of diseases, but the reason he's been referred within a 2-week window is because some of his symptoms can be signs of cancer. In fact - and this is for everyone else - given that one in three of us will get cancer at some point in our lives, if anyone over 60 develops new/unusual symptoms which last more than 4-6 weeks, cancer will almost often be somewhere near the top of the list of possibilities. I've just turned 40 and am increasingly considering myself as an "older adult" from this point of view, not least because my cousin recently got diagnosed (and successfully treated) with kidney cancer after a single episode of blood in his urine, having never in his life had that before, and being fit as a fiddle.

Cancer is a scary word, but that shouldn't prevent us from talking about it and raising awareness, because awareness genuinely saves lives.
A timely post. As per the "one for the runners" post a while back about my sudden weight loss, looks like it might not be the gastroparesis the doc initially though. Had a CT scan which has shown a small lesion on my pancreas. Awaiting further  appointments to see what the next steps are. Can confirm the advocacy bit - I had to push for the scan and if my brother hadn't died of cancer in his GI system I might not have got one. Anything unusual - get yourself checked. And do your poo on a stick test when it arrives. I'm nearly 55.

Anyone with any knowledge on what to expect, be great to hear.

(Apologies for the hijack James, but it is kind of relevant, good your dad is getting the attention he needs).

Hope all the results are favourable, Chris.

And hijack away - it would be good for me to read as well as I’m going over worst case scenarios in my head without any knowledge of what actually happens.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#26 Re: Medical advice
January 18, 2024, 01:05:19 pm
Remember, a doctor isn’t just for treating ill health, but also for perpetuating existing systems of social inequality and hierarchy!

what?

General poorer outcomes for women, ethnic minorities, lower income people. Diseases which mostly affect women get much worse treatment (I know, I have one!). Women’s pain getting taken less seriously or symptoms being psychologised rather than treated. Sometimes presenting a doctor with a thing they don’t understand is dangerous for the patient, as it upsets the authority and hence social standing of the doctor.

If this sounds weird or extreme then you are lucky, bask in it.

Whilst it is true that medical and social care has inherent biases in it, that is more a reflection of wider society than it is a reflection of the efforts of medical professionals, many of whom actively work against those biases. I think saying doctors are there to perpetuate those biases is rather misguided. Doctors are often trying to correct those biases. I worked in the area of healthcare feedback and development so I saw both some pretty awful and also some pretty incredible outcomes of patient experience but almost every NHS Trust I ever dealt with were all aware of the biases and trying to do something about them.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#27 Re: Medical advice
January 19, 2024, 07:59:37 am
Another tangent. I was reflecting this thread perfectly demonstrates what an amazing cross section of people use this forum, and how open and supportive they are. On the climbing community as a whole I wonder if the same rings true about climbers as a whole, and whether it always will?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#28 Re: Medical advice
January 19, 2024, 09:24:16 am
Have you ever been on UKC or the Supertopo forum? Agree the support on here is great.

seankenny

• forum hero
#29 Re: Medical advice
January 19, 2024, 09:40:22 am
I’m perfectly happy to discuss long covid on here, on UKC it’s usually not worth the effort.

Also, James - good luck with your dad’s care. My mum had cancer and obviously at the time it was very distressing but she made a full recovery and had many good years after her treatment.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#30 Re: Medical advice
January 19, 2024, 11:50:29 am
Have you ever been on UKC or the Supertopo forum? Agree the support on here is great.

If you remember, I used to be pretty active on UKC back when you were, it was ok back then, but I wouldn't touch it now. Maybe that's the changing face of UK climbing. It does feel most people on here are older school.

My only experience of US climbing culture is through Widefetish.com. also old school, but definitely more self focused

SA Chris

• forum hero
#31 Re: Medical advice
January 19, 2024, 12:06:05 pm
I remember. It was a fun and new experience.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#32 Re: Medical advice
January 31, 2024, 04:42:21 pm
Had a CT scan which has shown a small lesion on my pancreas. Awaiting further  appointments to see what the next steps are.

Update if anyone is interested. Consultant sent a letter saying it's just a small cyst / IPMN and no cause for concern. Which is obviously a relief, and good news as it's not serious, but something is still up with my digestive system and I don't know what.

Hope your dad is doing OK James. 

Duma

• forum hero
#33 Re: Medical advice
January 31, 2024, 04:45:04 pm
Great to hear Chris.

Hope you manage to bottom out (sorry couldn't resist) the gut issues

SA Chris

• forum hero
#34 Re: Medical advice
January 31, 2024, 05:06:10 pm
Had all the jokes already! Next step is back to doc I guess. In spite of eating as usual by weight is still dropping. Not as fast as it was, but still falling off.

stone

• forum abuser
#35 Re: Medical advice
January 31, 2024, 05:25:58 pm
Great to hear the spooky CT pancreas thing turned out OK.

And best wishes with sorting your gut out.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#36 Re: Medical advice
February 01, 2024, 12:09:04 am
Thanks

James Malloch

• forum hero
#37 Re: Medical advice
February 01, 2024, 10:36:02 am
Had a CT scan which has shown a small lesion on my pancreas. Awaiting further  appointments to see what the next steps are.

Update if anyone is interested. Consultant sent a letter saying it's just a small cyst / IPMN and no cause for concern. Which is obviously a relief, and good news as it's not serious, but something is still up with my digestive system and I don't know what.

Hope your dad is doing OK James.

Hope that you get your issues sorted, Chris. But good to know that something has been ruled out at least!

My dad is still losing weight, but saw a Gastroenterologist a week or so ago. He then had a CT scan on Monday and has an Endoscopy tomorrow. Hopefully the CT results will come back next week and tomorrow’s should be instant.

The gastroenterologist also noticed he had bad Thrush, which when serious enough can apparently have similar symptoms to what he has been having. He is being treated for that and after 4 days of having a bad reaction to the medication, he had a pain free night. So maybe that’s something…

Hopefully everything will be more clear in the coming week. Or at least some things may be ruled out…

SA Chris

• forum hero
#38 Re: Medical advice
February 01, 2024, 11:05:37 am
Sounds potentially positive at least.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#39 Re: Medical advice
February 02, 2024, 08:31:14 pm
Sounds potentially positive at least.

Hope was shattered today by a stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis. Thanks for all of the advice on this thread. It’s weird how a load strangers can be so important for support! Time to go and spend some time with my dad…

slab_happy

• forum hero
#40 Re: Medical advice
February 02, 2024, 08:48:00 pm
Oh fuck. I'm so, so sorry.

webbo

• forum hero
#41 Re: Medical advice
February 02, 2024, 08:48:36 pm
Shit that’s bad. I hope you can get some quality time with your dad.

stone

• forum abuser
#42 Re: Medical advice
February 02, 2024, 09:09:39 pm
Time to go and spend some time with my dad…
That's such an inspiring response from you. Best wishes through it all.

Bradders

• forum hero
#43 Re: Medical advice
February 02, 2024, 09:46:37 pm
All the very best James.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#44 Re: Medical advice
February 02, 2024, 11:25:57 pm
That's such an inspiring response from you. Best wishes through it all.

It seems like the only thing to do now. Nothing that’s happened can be changed, and it is up to him to decide on a treatment plan that he’s happy with.

He never expected to be a dad, and now he’s got an 8 week old granddaughter. So it’s important for him to spend more time with her, get to know her, and maybe (if he wants) try to work out how he can be a part of her future (maybe write some future birthday cards, get lots of photos, find out what he was looking forward to and make sure we fulfil those - I’m sure he’d have take her to a Blackburn game, for example).

And also for me to get to know more about him and his life. I’m sure there’s loads of stories that I’ve never heard.

All of this stuff seems like the most important stuff in the world now. Just try to help him, and me, find some peace and closure.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#45 Re: Medical advice
February 02, 2024, 11:35:35 pm
All the best, James. Hope you're ok.

andy popp

• forum hero
#46 Re: Medical advice
February 03, 2024, 07:15:33 am

Yes, go be there for him, and for yourself.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#47 Re: Medical advice
February 03, 2024, 07:33:11 am
Really sorry to hear that James. All the best, look after yourself.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#48 Re: Medical advice
February 03, 2024, 08:02:19 am
Oh James, I don't really know what to write, I'm just so sorry for you. Despite the massive cliche, what you say is absolutely right, make the very most of your time together.

seankenny

• forum hero
#49 Re: Medical advice
February 03, 2024, 12:03:33 pm
Very sorry to read this James.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal