Czech sandstone looks incredible, shame it’s death

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#76 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 09, 2024, 05:17:49 pm
It's up there with Ned Attempts a New Line At Stanage

Is this the one where he launches from the opposite side of the pit to try and catch the jug on Brad Pit and stacks it? Can't seem to find it on YouTube.

andy_e

• forum hero
#77 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 09, 2024, 06:46:44 pm
Yeah, I tried to find it but it's no longer available on YouTube unfortunately

lukas_s

#78 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 09, 2024, 09:47:19 pm
Probably the most impressive pure lines, in my mind, would be some of the stunning couloir and ice lines on the granite mountainsides in the Mt Blanc massif.
I can't think of a more aesthetic line in the Mt Blanc massif than the Walker spur. You climb the easiest/safest way up that region of the face (the tallest  bit too) and pop your head over the top at the summit.

By comparison, to me, the couloir lines seem more like sneaking around the side (I'm not saying they aren't awesome though).

PS I feel bad enthusing about Alpine climbing. Alpine climbing is bad. It kills people.

Surely the peutery integral has to be one of the most fascinating lines in the mont blanc massive? Looking at the ridgeline from the torino hut at sunset is just amazingly beutiful. Even if its really chossy, just for that skyline it has to be climbed.
Talking ice/mixedlines the supercouloir on tacul has to be one of the most obvious lines in the massive.

JamieG

• forum hero
#79 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 09, 2024, 09:58:37 pm
For a lower grade classic, the Devil's Slide on Lundy is an amazing piece of rock. Really cool feature. Would love to go and climb that one day.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#80 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 09, 2024, 10:04:36 pm
It's pretty fun, Lundy is worth a trip, one of the essential great British climbing adventures.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#81 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 09, 2024, 11:01:28 pm
Also Arrow Route on Sron na Ciche. looks utterly unlikely at the grade, but the rock quality makes it possible. https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/sron_na_ciche-780/arrow_route-7739#photos and getting off the Cioch via Integrity is an amazing day out (we approached vie Cioch West but that wanders a bit).

I was wondering about adding Arrow Route to the thread but not really sure if it can count as a great "line". Great route (well, did the direct and that was), great rock, great sparsity of gear, great atmosphere/location, great day out... but great line? You'd struggle to spot the line with ease from a far, just the slab as a whole.

Shame we couldn't get on Integrity afterwards, it was absolutely soaked. Looks cracking. Did Wallwork's instead, which was equally wet but at least easier, shame it wasn't quite such high quality.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#82 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 09, 2024, 11:20:03 pm
A few UK trad ideas:
Devil’s Slide, Cenotaph Corner obviously, America pitch 2, The Cullinan, Rainbow of Recalcitrance, Dalriada, Appointment With Fear, Requiem, ‘The Great Escape’ pitch 2, Divided Years, any corner/arete in the big quarry at Nesscliffe… and the Cuillin Ridge traverse (easiest on the list, but also the hardest).

Don't know much European trad. Prinzip Hoffnung looks alright, not going to get lost on that one.

Rainbow of Recalcitrance is a great shout. Often the great lines are aretes, I think it's that bit more special when a different feature stands out so obviously.

Tom de Gay

• stalker
#83 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 10, 2024, 09:16:17 am
Couple of 'The Great Escape' (p2) on Arran. Perfect fine-grained granite wall into a slabby crux, then layback the monster flake.

Paul B

• forum hero
#84 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 10, 2024, 10:04:27 am
That's pretty damn stunning!

We've had the arete discussion on UKB before; the absence of an obvious line can also be a 'line' IMO.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#85 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 10, 2024, 10:06:57 am
I was wondering about adding Arrow Route to the thread but not really sure if it can count as a great "line". Great route (well, did the direct and that was), great rock, great sparsity of gear, great atmosphere/location, great day out... but great line? You'd struggle to spot the line with ease from a far, just the slab as a whole.

Shame we couldn't get on Integrity afterwards, it was absolutely soaked. Looks cracking. Did Wallwork's instead, which was equally wet but at least easier, shame it wasn't quite such high quality.

I think that's the beautity of it. Same can be said of Devil's slide. It's a cool rock feature, but there are actually 3 fairly independent lines on it (I did all 3 on the same day, great day out, but painful on feet). It's the unlikelyliness of climbing Arrow route that makes it, IMO .

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#86 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 10, 2024, 12:11:05 pm
Always liked the look of this for a fairly modest grade boulder - Special Edition
 https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/brione-10082/special_edition-387800#photos&gid=1&pid=1

This looks incredible to me but is a fair bit harder

edshakey

• forum abuser
#87 Re: Best lines in Europe
January 10, 2024, 01:03:45 pm

I think that's the beautity of it. Same can be said of Devil's slide. It's a cool rock feature, but there are actually 3 fairly independent lines on it (I did all 3 on the same day, great day out, but painful on feet). It's the unlikelyliness of climbing Arrow route that makes it, IMO .

Yeah I suppose that's reasonable. In which case, it's a strong contender.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal