the shizzle > diet, training and injuries

Strength losses in mid 40s

<< < (2/18) > >>

petejh:
For the physical side of things, you could do a lot worse than listen to this podcast with Matt 'tory boy' Roberts about the ageing male and performance.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p077b4mj

webbo:
I’m well past 40 year old decline but my experience with ageing is that you can no longer drop something for a month or two and expect to get to your old PB ‘s in a session or two. If I stop doing weights for 3 months but continue climbing. It will take me 3 months of regular weights to get back to where I was and it has to be regular not just once a week.
I can get climbing and cycling strength back much quicker and don’t seem to lose as much with a lay off.
Also what the others have said.

mrjonathanr:

--- Quote from: JamieG on January 03, 2024, 06:11:21 pm ---From reading on here I know you have also had a tough time with your mental health too. I suspect that also affects your strength. Quite literally not just in a motivation sense. Definitely will also contribute to feeling run down and tired. Be kind to yourself Fiend.

--- End quote ---

Excellent post. The body is definitely not immune from the mind.

Whilst age does slow us all down, I don’t think your woes are a necessary consequence of your age Fiend. They weren’t for me at your age and I don’t believe they are for you either. As Webbo says, I do believe the ability to quickly pick up where you left off fades in middle age, so you have to work in a much more patient and sustained way to regain previous performance levels. Like JB says, I also feel fatigue more deeply and for longer than I used to, it’s something I just have to ignore patiently work around now.

Might you’d be better off choosing the areas where you want to excel and not stressing so much about the others?  Does bench matter much if your goal is to keep your head together on some gnarly sea cliff route? Maybe some consequence-free limestone sport ticks would be good to get a bit of a momentum without too much head stress?

Don’t get too despondent; you can definitely get stronger and perform better in the future than you have in the past. It’ll just take more patience to build up to things than it used to.

Edit- one thought: everything you do contributes to an overall load on the CNS. Whereas a 25 year old might have the recovery to push hard on a range of fronts and bounce back from each one, a 45 year old might need to be more selective?

User deactivated.:
At 34, I'm clearly not qualified to answer, but I think I would lose gym strength doing the amount of low intensity exercise/activity you do.

From my reading of sport science, high volume low intensity seems to produce more injuries than the opposite too. 

Why not try something different? Drop your volume in half for a month or two, cutting out all or most of the low intensity stuff and see how you get on. I think you've mentioned you do well on high volume, but maybe that has changed. I really like the day on day off routine and can do that continually without needing to deload (even with the odd 2 days on here and there). However, if I go for the full 2 days on 1 off routine, I can only sustain that for so long before excess fatigue accumulates and I need to deload.

kac:
I'm 48 and think Liam is spot on. Not that I had much in the first place but I've not seen a loss of strength pretty much doing what Liam is suggesting. It definitely takes longer to recover these days though especially after an outside session. If I did the kind of volume you seem to do pretty sure I'd be broken most of the time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version