the shizzle > diet, training and injuries

Strength losses in mid 40s

(1/18) > >>

Fiend:
Hi folks.  Probably been asked before but what are folks thoughts about making genuine strength losses in your 40s?

I've noticed an accelerated decline in my strength over the last year - worryingly more than I'd expect.

Obviously I expect a general, if steadier, decline due to age. I've noticed myself being more susceptible to injury, more stiff and creaky overall, and a bit more tired in general - this has been at a fairly steady rate for several years and feels in line with that I might expect.

Obviously any climbing strength declines are going to be considerably excerbated by being BMI 26.5 (no, that's not lean, honed, LiamHutch98-style climbing relevant muscle, it's a DVT-hampered weightbelt around my waist), and also by relentless climbing-related injuries. I would except climbing strength losses to be fairly large or hard to measure (I did have some indication of those testing on the Depot 30' Board: In March I had a session that was equivalent to TWO of my best 2022 sessions added together, whilst in June / July I had a few sessions where I was having to work my previous casual middle warm-ups and was the worst I've ever been on it).

What is interesting / concerning is that in my weight-independent tests, of, well, weights, I've noticed a larger and seemingly irreversible decline. Every gym session since spring has been weak, sometimes with added weak, occasionally with a garnish of weak on top.

Examples:
Deadlift: 140kg max, down from 160kg max. 120kg now feels like 140kg used to.
Bench press: 70kg max, down from 80kg max. 60kg now feels like 70kg used to.
OH press: 40kg max, down from 50kg. 30kg now feels like 40kg used to.
Lat pulldowns: hard to tell due to injuries but I guess about: Comfy on 80kg max, down from 100kg max.
Bicep curls: hard to tell due to injuries but definitely weaker.

I was doing okay at the gym earlier in the year, especially bench (was comfy on 80kg max, also squeezed out a 160kg DL but it felt well risky). I know full well since then that I've had shoulder issues BUT they've started feeling better in recent months, and I've noticed that my left, UN-IMPINGED shoulder is feeling the weaker, especially on overhead press. AFAIK I've done nothing to inhibit lifts otherwise. Other than that - digestion is okay, am sleeping okay, eating okay, a bit of stretching and self-care means my body is feeling okay overall apart from TE and crunchy shoulder. 

I also know full well that I haven't been going to the gym as regularly, but have generally kept active and conditioned with climbing / exploring / cleaning, and...

My previous experience is: If I go to the gym sporadically, but maintain a good level of activity with climbing days out, indoor walls, and other stuff, I can get back into gym lifts pretty quickly - I don't progress nor get near PBs without more regularity, but I regain previous norms well with just a bit more regularity.

My current experience is: That ain't happening.

I have wondered if I'd picked up some low-level virus at 3 night's raving at Bangface weekender in May, because I generally felt like there was a more notable decline since then. In fact in early summer I felt I had so little power and general muscle contraction (despite not feeling fatigued nor low on energy), I actually got some blood tests done, with no obvious deficiencies spotted. It feels like much the same now I'm back at the gym regularly - contraction just ain't happening.

Any ideas?? Apart from the "you're just getting old, accept it" - please re-read the 3rd line that yes I obviously know, and yes this is something different to the general decline I feel. Ta.

JamieG:
From reading on here I know you have also had a tough time with your mental health too. I suspect that also affects your strength. Quite literally not just in a motivation sense. Definitely will also contribute to feeling run down and tired. Be kind to yourself Fiend.

Johnny Brown:
I’m 46. I have noticed accelerating declines over the last couple of years, however it’s very hard to separate aging from lifestyle - my wife broke her ankle then I buggered my elbow. Common sense would suggest strength vs age probably plots with a curve peaking in your thirties, the change in angle over the top barely perceptible but the slopes either side more so. Genetics and lifestyle no doubt play big parts in how steep the decline is, but I suspect it’s only going to get harder. On the plus side stamina seems to peak later and decline slower (I have done no reading on this but that’s my general impression).

PS I can’t imagine going on a three day bender, I’d be fucked for months. Some years back I was so fucked after a stag do I tried to get tested for Lyme (I’d had multiple tick bites that summer).

Hoseyb:
+1 for what Jamie said.

I know that in the past ( you know, when I was your age) I also went through the mill regarding my mental and emotional health flipping my prowess up and down.

For me personally, if I'm not consistent with my training ( ie most of the time) it's only when I'm mentally and emotionally up can I apply any force to any thing.

Be gentle with yourself, and if you can stomach that gym thing ( you know I struggle with all that) then aim for turning up consistently. I have an inkling turning up is the key. You can adapt your session from there

Serpico:
I climbed my hardest route at 46. It’s not age that’s making you weak, it’s Trad.
Knock the ledge-shuffling on the head and you’ll be fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version