UKBouldering.com

Aims for 2024 (Read 8017 times)

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#25 Re: Aims for 2024
January 01, 2024, 03:35:16 pm
Finally completed my aims in 2023 - 2024 might be ambitious...

Climbing

- 10 V9s
- 5 V10s
- 1 V11
- Go on at least three trips

Training

- Get down to -10lb BW assistance HC on one-arm BM2k slot

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#26 Re: Aims for 2024
January 01, 2024, 04:15:55 pm
Finally completed my aims in 2023 - 2024 might be ambitious...

Climbing

- 10 V9s
- 5 V10s
- 1 V11
- Go on at least three trips

Training

- Get down to -10lb BW assistance HC on one-arm BM2k slot
Missed one as I've been doing bench for the first time this year, would like to set an arbitrary goal:
- Bench 1RM 300lb

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#27 Re: Aims for 2024
January 01, 2024, 04:30:05 pm
Climb with other people

Skate with other people

Go fishing more often

Find something new to learn

Not get any heavier

Visit Stockwell bowl again - man, that place is awesome
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 04:39:12 pm by lagerstarfish »

seankenny

• forum hero
#28 Re: Aims for 2024
January 01, 2024, 04:31:13 pm
Long covid recovery - be able to do more. Given that this disease is an absolutely masterful wrecker of plans and goals, I'm going to keep this pretty open. More walking, doing things I haven't been able to do over the last two years, all whilst managing my energy levels such that I don't crash or go into reverse.

Climbing - go to the wall regularly. Climb outside at least once. Both without causing any significant setback or sickness.

Continue stretching and do some leg and core strengthening exercises to help with my dysautonomia (and rockovers).

Do some work. Any amount, any duration, payment would be nice.

Improve Sinhala. Hard to quantify this, initially perhaps learn 200 new words. That doesn't sound a lot but there aren't many easy wins in a non-European langauge. Being able to hold a proper five minute conversation would be awesome.

Day to day living - improve our flat a bit, pull my weight or more around the house, learn some new recipies including some fancy ones, maybe a soufle or classic sauce.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#29 Re: Aims for 2024
January 01, 2024, 08:12:20 pm
1. Eat better. I want to cook healthy meals more often, drink less and put a bit of thought/effort into lifestyle stuff.  I am interested to see whether getting my weight back down to 11 1/2 stone and generally living better makes much difference to my climbing.

2. Wall of Spirits, Pentire. I want to at least invest a bit of time working this with a view to headpointing it.  Whether I actually go for the lead will depend on how good I feel on it, and whether the rotten peg by the traverse can be replaced.

3. North Cornwall DWS project. A bunch of friends have spent the last few summers developing an amazing new DWS venue.  I think I’m the only one of the regular gang that’s not done any of the FAs there.  There’s a really obvious line left to do, but it’s very high and suffers from a seepage patch.  For it to go will require form, confidence and conditions to all coincide.

3. South West E4/5s. Would be good to knock at least a couple more off the never ending list.

4. Climbing trips.  A week abroad somewhere for something fairly long, moderately hard and mostly free would be great. I would settle though for a couple of weekends somewhere in the UK such as the peak and/or North Wales.

5. Family stuff. Have a couple of good holidays together (we’ve booked for El Chorro at Easter and are thinking of the Lakes in the summer), settle eldest daughter into secondary school come September, and generally try to be a decent husband/dad.

JamieG

• forum hero
#30 Re: Aims for 2024
January 01, 2024, 08:54:02 pm
Less booze and peanut butter!

The booze I get.

But why on earth would you want to cut down on peanut butter! A day without  peanut butter is a wasted day. Absolutely love the stuff! Got to be crunchy though. These smooth deviants need sorting out.

Oh yeah, climb a 7C. Maybe two if I’m lucky.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#31 Re: Aims for 2024
January 01, 2024, 11:31:38 pm
Great reading through these.   :popcorn:

I’m avoiding using lots of grade based goals this year as I don’t know how it will pan out.  Operation looming ver soon.  ( see goal 1)

Goal 1. Rehab & rebuild
Be consistent & committed to elbow rehabilitation post surgery. I have a right elbow osteocapsulectomy due sometime in January.
I was told the success of the surgery depends greatly on my rehabilitation.  It won’t repair the deterioration of my osteoarthritic elbow, but should improve range of movement.

Goal 2. Try hard when it matters most
Actually fall off on send attempts, not saying take.

Goal 3. Climb at Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert  in the South Of France- near Montpellier. Get a lot of routes done.

Goal 4. Climb at least two multi pitch sport 3 pitches or more in this trip.

Goal 5. Redpoints
 Largely reliant on Goal 1.

Redpoint five routes 7a and above
- [ ] Pit Viper - Deep Rake
- [ ] TBC
- [ ] TBC
- [ ] TBC
- [ ] TBC

The following two goals, if anyone is needing a belay, please consider giving me a call.  Happy to meet new climbers & crags.

Goal 6. Explore the UK sports options

Climb at 2 new sports crags in the UK (outside of the Peak - Yorkshire/ Wales/ The Lakes).

Goal 7. More Peak Sport

Climb at 3 new Peak sports crags

Goal 8. Longer term health investments

Improve mobility and embed mobility & flexibility into my lifestyle.  To be able to comfortably place my palms flat on floor in a standing pike.
Do a pistol squat with both legs

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#32 Re: Aims for 2024
January 02, 2024, 07:53:53 am
Do some climbing, that wound be nice.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#33 Re: Aims for 2024
January 02, 2024, 10:13:50 am
The year I’ve sketched out so far in my mind:

Jan: Sharkathon and no booze. Persist with Bens Roof whilst I think I’m getting progress. Maybe a bit of grit soloing. Training. Would like to get out to Spain for ~10 days to Spain at end of month. No takers yet.

Feb: Bigger emphasis on training

Mar: Climbing with Paul at LPT and Malham on Statement and the Oak

April: Turn 60! 😱 Maybe solo 60 routes at Stanage or similar (did 50 in the distant past at VS and above) Have a birthday do at Malham

May: Two trips to Pabbay snd Mingulay pencilled in with the Scottish team Paul climbed with last year. He hasn’t included me on their WhatsApp group in case I upset them

Summer: Hope to base myself in Europe somewhere Alpinish for much of it with Sonia if she can swing the working from home thing. Take the opportunity to do multi pitch stuff. She’s also running a marathon in Paris during the Olympics so combine with watching a few events and Font.

Autumn: Usual projects no doubt.

End Oct / Beginning of Nov: ~3 weeks in RRG and fit enough this time to tackle something steep, sustained and out there on the Motherlode

Determined to get back to normal weight levels this year and hoping my motivation won’t be ambushed. Also will help my peace of mind if some family business issues are resolved.

At some point would like to get to Ogwen to do a few days of scrambling and soloing

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#34 Re: Aims for 2024
January 02, 2024, 10:41:34 am
I will keep this simple:

One 7a benchmark on the mini moonboard. Exit... stage left will not count unless I panic.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#35 Re: Aims for 2024
January 02, 2024, 11:11:57 am
Keeping goals sort of vague but ideally:

- finish consolidating 7C - I’ve done 5 so far and would like to get 10 done in varying styles (probably not slab though as I’m garbage at slabs and all the hard slabs are also highball or have death landings)

- 3 more 7C+ boulders - got a few in mind, grand doigts sit, renegade pastor, maillard

1 8A - idm which one, got eyes on thick end, gorillas or meat hooks atm.

- continue stretching every day. In 2023 I went from 153cm box splits to 168cm I’d love to get full splits over next 5 years

- continue training consistently and staying injury free

Wellsy

• forum hero
#36 Re: Aims for 2024
January 02, 2024, 11:54:04 am
I'd like to;

-Climb in a variety of places on a variety of rock types in a variety of styles

-Avoid injury and look after old injuries well

-Enjoy my climbing, indoor and out.

-Get generally more strong and athletic

-Do well in my job, be a good partner and friend. Be healthy and treat my body well.

RobK

• stalker
#37 Re: Aims for 2024
January 02, 2024, 05:34:23 pm
8a
8A
E8

1/3 would be good.
2/3 would be amazing.
3/3 would be a little unbelievable.

Ed booth

• regular
#38 Re: Aims for 2024
January 02, 2024, 07:09:16 pm
Any routes/problems on the cards Rob?

webbo

• forum hero
#39 Re: Aims for 2024
January 02, 2024, 07:27:39 pm
Climb outside
Do a ride that’s double my age.
Concert with grandson
Ride some cols
Surfing lesson with grandson
Not break myself

RobK

• stalker
#40 Re: Aims for 2024
January 02, 2024, 07:53:44 pm
Any routes/problems on the cards Rob?

8a - loads of stuff I'm keen for at Dinbren, LPT, and the gorge, this should be the 'easy' one.

8A - going to scout a few options over the next couple of weeks. Needs to be regularly dry and within an hour's drive. Yellow Finish, 36 Chambers Sit (both might be 7C+?), one of the Sub-Moron links or something at the cave are all candidates.

E8 - Gravediggers, The Rising Son, or something at Nesscliffe? Will be leaving this one till later in the year.

yetix

• forum abuser
#41 Re: Aims for 2024
January 02, 2024, 07:59:52 pm
Yellow finish seemed 8a to me, I think 36 chambers depends on if you can lank it a bit?

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
#42 Re: Aims for 2024
January 03, 2024, 10:06:28 pm
I wasn't really sure if I wanted to bother writing goals this year, but then I realised that it might provide some benefit to think about these things, and I can always ignore them if I can't be arsed.

It's another thing to reflect on at the end of the year to appreciate how many unpredictable things (good and bad) can happen, and that planning can be an incredibly futile process at times.

- Get married. Then subsequently remain married, and generally be a good husband.

- Stay psyched. This is the main climbing goal isn't it, just keep enjoying it.

- Be less injured than 2023. This should be an easy one, I hope. Ideally no injuries at all but some tweaks are bound to happen.

- Finish remaining Moonboard 6C+ benchmarks. Consolidating more hard stuff would be great but can't really pick a number.

- Continue visiting new-to-me areas as usual, let's say 12 to average one a month.

- Do some DWS, and take some actual falls. Not 15m wangers, but trying hard in a relatively calm and safe environment. Don't fuck my headgame like I did in 2023!

- Boulder on the Llŷn. Maybe make a weekend of it and revisit that little arête at Nant Gwrtheyrn?

- Touch some rock in another country.

- Revisit some problems I've already tried, including but not limited to:

*Louisville Lip
*Main Vein
*Rigpa
*Cosmic Wheels
*Brass Monkeys
*Jerry's Roof
*Awooga
*The Mentalist
*Cobra Strike
*The Punk
*Harvey Oswald SDS
*Bad Moon Rising
*Suavito
*Cruella
*Silence of the Rams
*S&M
*Tierdrop
*Esoteric Blaenau projects

dunnyg

• forum hero
#43 Re: Aims for 2024
January 03, 2024, 10:25:28 pm
This year is the year of sport climbing. It is time to put some time in to Kilnsey, Malham and the circuit board

-Climb five 7as or harder

-Climb a 7b

-Climb something cool at Kilnsey

-Pull on comedy to see how hard it is

-Onsight a 6c (or harder!)

-Climb three more from the yorkshire grit 3 star list

-Book some trips somewhere inspiring

-Do at least one black book trip (caving)

-Don't get fired

-Dont get injured

Wish me luck!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#44 Re: Aims for 2024
January 04, 2024, 12:22:34 am
This year is the year of sport climbing. It is time to put some time in to Kilnsey, Malham and the circuit board

-Climb five 7as or harder

-Climb a 7b

-Climb something cool at Kilnsey

-Pull on comedy to see how hard it is

-Onsight a 6c (or harder!)

-Climb three more from the yorkshire grit 3 star list

-Book some trips somewhere inspiring

-Do at least one black book trip (caving)

-Don't get fired

-Dont get injured

Wish me luck!

Good luck! I’d be keen for some after work sessions this summer - drop me a message if you’re struggling for partners.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#45 Re: Aims for 2024
January 04, 2024, 12:35:54 am
Hmm. I debated about posting, it's been a few years, but hey.

- have a whole year without operations or injuries and with consistent climbing of all types.

- engage with 'process goals' rather than performance goals and learn how to get out from inside my own head when climbing.i.e. embrace failure.

- get back to regular home board sessions and documenting them, tracking progression (which has always helped with psyche)

- more fingerboarding

- More good trad days out where possible, with more intention when at the crag.

- try to dial back on stress inducing work / business related situations and learn to say no.

- rediscover more chossy Lancs based esoterica and dig it out.

- finish half the guide.

- grade wise, don't really want to fixate on anything this year, but anywhere close to 7B would be a dream, trad wise who knows, could be anywhere from HS to E4...

- improve diet, less booze, more general cardio blah blah

- do all the above while being an acceptable dad/husband etc, spend quality time with the fam...

edshakey

• forum abuser
#46 Re: Aims for 2024
January 04, 2024, 12:56:43 am
Didn't bother with this thread last year (injury induced low psych), not got that excuse this year so might as well!

Climbing
- Do an E2
- Do a F7a, probably in Spain
- Go bouldering and enjoy it without ruining skin for the next week
- Keep doing conditioning after climbing

Potentially conservative, but not planning on doing loads of training, so not wanting any pressure.

Running
- Run regularly if not injured (3+ per week, high mileage if possible to setup long term goals)
- Do a big AL fell race, probably Borrowdale
- Get qualifying races done for said big fell race (nice intermediate goal)
- Look into Paddy Buckley legs
- Do better (position-wise) in British Fell Relays
- Some sort of big day out like Welsh 3000s, Y3Ps, etc
Secondary goals
- 5k PB
- 10k or half PB
- Across Wales Walk event if summer goes well

Other
- Big solo trip to Scotland, mainly to spend time in the Cuillin
- Take camera on most days out, take good pics
- Stay injury free!

Yoof

• menacing presence
#47 Re: Aims for 2024
January 04, 2024, 12:22:56 pm
Good to have these written down innit.

Bouldering
More volume at 7C+/8-something.
Think about being smart about my "training" and maybe push a little bit
8B, or at least get close and still be working on/towards a specific one
Don't get injured

Not bouldering
Give lots
Look after myself (short-term, long-term, many contexts)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#48 Re: Aims for 2024
January 04, 2024, 03:51:16 pm
It looks like I didn't actually post any goals last year, but I had some long running ones in my training log.

I've got quite a few non climbing ones:

Process, print and hang more photos (I take loads, plenty good enough to print but somehow never get round to it)
Start work on renovations in Slovenia
Finish DIY in flat (bookcase, snagging, redecorate bedroom after water damage)

Climbing and other outdoor sports goals

Go MTB once per month
Finish of Endurance at Dumby
Go back to Pass of Ballater and finish off Drambui
Get stuck in to Railway Children
Some trad weekends in NW

I had been kind of trying to work up to E6 onsight and thought a solid winter of fitness training, 7b+ 2nd go abilities and some early season trad would see me right, but somehow I couldn't find the zone last year and most of the time it felt rushed, forced and the wrong kind of stressful. SO this year my only trad related aim is to ge tthe flow back at any level and hopefully the psyche will be high and I might get a chance on an E6. Maybe Major Domo would be a good one Duncan?

Oh: Get on / work / lead Dalriada and maybe finish off Wild Country when I'm up there if it feels good.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#49 Re: Aims for 2024
January 04, 2024, 08:28:16 pm
Haha how funny that I just happened to click on this thread… I didn’t post any aims last year and have been umming and ahhing about whether to but do find it interesting seeing what people chalk up As their aims.

So luckily I read your post Fultonius!!

I think Major Domo would be a good one to go for it on; it’s not that pumpy, it has got quite a funky crux but after that there is a bit of a rest and I didn’t the think the top was too bad, just take your time. It is well protected, I actually think I didn’t protect as well as I could of (rare for me) after watching the guy after me who got a bomber wire in and fell on it a load. I slammed a cam in and kept trucking!

I also did it as a warm up so can’t be that hard! Defo a good entry E6 and it’s brill so if you do it and it gets downgraded you won’t mind + in a stunning spot with a van doss at the parking with a beach. Not even the lottery can buy you that

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal