Aims for 2018
Aims for 2019
Aims for 2020
Aims for 2021
Aims for 2022
Aims for 2023

Hoseyb:
Right!

It has come to my attention that I turn 50 on August. Despite 2021 being absolutely awesome in terms of climbing goals achieved, the last 2 years have been dog poo due to injury and life crapness.

This must stop.

Since my 49th birthday I have been seeing a physio/coach every two months and this is continuing into the new year. I have embraced structured training after 36 years of mucking about and intend to continue with injury proofing my body.

With this in mind.

Climbing goals.
7B+ before I'm 50
I've only achieved 7B so far a couple of times despite being fairly consistent around 6C+/7A ( despite being inconsistent in actually climbing).
I'm hoping that a more consistent and strength based approach will get me there.
Currently got my eye on Ultimate Warrior. This may change.

More long term, I'd like to tick my two long term projects down Tremadog way. Both fairly burly and dynamic.

I also have a DWS venue I want to develop post birthday. Need a few less birds and some warmer sea.

Life Goals
I'm embracing the fact I'm probably fairly neurodiverse, and not always great in social situations. I want to strengthen the friendships I've made and climb more regularly with people outside.
I also recognise I need to keep up my lone wolf missions as I need to decompress from everyday social interactions.

Ed booth:
Climbing Goals:
Improve conversion rate for actually getting all those nearly ticks from '23 into successful ascents.

Sport
- >20 8a's or above
-LTG 8c, want to do Bat route but not sure 2024 will be the year for getting to Malham
-Badger Badger Badger
-Walking Mussel/Melancholie LPT
-Get back on Infaticide/Youthanasia LPT
-Insomnia, Dinbren
-Unfinished slate 8a's and others, The Medium, Wish you were here, Walls Within, Quarryman Groove pitch
-Sworn Enemies
-The Thumb
-Supercool
-Nemesis, The Cornice
-Get some other A55 8a's done such as Tommy Chamonix, Oyster, Madness Reigns or Nanazabho.
- Do at least 1 8b or harder.

Trad (most of these are safier sporty types):
-Jeune Cassini
-Dream Topping
-Trumpet Blowers
-Eye of the Tiger
-Top Loader
-From a Distance (want to try to flash this if I get to Pembroke with some sport fitness and some trad mileage in the bank)
-Craic Yr Maestri (may be a bit optimistic as would take quite a lot of prep/time, but being slabby could be good one to go on after sport days where arms are toast)
-Trad climb more. On sight >5 E5's

Multipitch:
-Unchi Maka, Ecrins. If i can fit this in with a family hol, have wanted to try this for years.

Bouldering:
-The Big Smile
-Crafnant problems
-Bytilith Wall
- At least 1 8A

Destinations:
-St Leger (Think I'm going in April)
-Pabbay (Think I'm going in June, should help with E5 on sights and trad mileage)
-Family Hol, French Alps areas
-Pex
-Glen Nevis
-Lots of LPT
-Yorkshire lime big 3 crags (because I love them)
-Slate
-Heptonstall
-Pembroke (criminal that I haven't been for a few years!)
At least 1 day of DWS

Life/Other:
- Get back doing more regular board climbing at home.
-Tick over with aerobic stuff, a bit of pleasure road biking and some park runs. Don't let love of the Giro and TdF make me give up climbing for a temporary road biking fad)
-Get round to doing the house DIY job/upkeep list that I have been putting off for years.
-Be a good Husband/Dad (whilst some how achieving all the other stuff  :-\ )
-Get more comfy/confident in role at work, so that it takes up less mental energy for my climbing/rest of life.
-Be more life organised, so my wife gets time to do her stuff too.
-On 50:50 days (such as when i'm knackered from nights, or iffy forecast) just commit to the drive and get out anyway. Always get something done.
-Get the kids doing some multipitch climbs with Mummy for some family days out.
-Get on with Podcast project

Happy new year for a healthy and strong 2024 everyone!  :2thumbsup:

reeve:
Good luck everyone!

Trad: 5 off the life list, try hard on a bunch of E5/6s, more multi-pitch adventures, more entertaining (for others, if not me) runouts and / or falls

Sport: Don’t bother building a pyramid (I’ve spent twenty years doing this and avoiding trying harder things) – just crack on with Monumental assuming it dries (if it doesn’t, then…) Climb at Malham (been saying that for the last three years on here I think!)

Bouldering: any of birdsong, pixie tits, blackfoot, facetime continuum or similar.

Bivvy somewhere cool
Do some harder cracks
Go DWS
Don’t get too weak over summer / don’t get too unfit over winter

M1V0:
Not participated in these before, but first time for everything.

Climbing
I turn 30 later in the year, and despite climbed numerous 7Cs I have somehow never really progressed past this. I don't think I have ever put in enough sessions on anything harder. So before I do turn 30:
> 3x 7C+ (of which I have my eye on many, and a handful of sessions on some)
> 1x 8A (similar to the above, some should go with some reacquaintance and some time invested)

If I get around to getting on a rope:
> Militia at Giggleswick (I was very close three years ago, and then never went back)
> Get back down to Cheddar Gorge (having intended to for the last five [or seven] years, it has just never happened)

And then finally:
> Stay relatively injury free. Having spent the last four years on and off injured or academically-stressed, this would be nice
> Tick some of the harder project climbs on the board. Set by others and none of them are my style, so a good indicator of improvement.
> Get to a point where I cannot claim that my pinch strength is a major limiting factor
> Revisit some of the venues where things have been oh so close and I have then never gone back

Life
> Submit my PhD (with a hard deadline of mid February this will happen)
> Defend said PhD
> Get a stable job with a mortgageable income (Ha!)
> Get married (this should be pretty straighforward)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version