places to visit > abroad

Font in March - worth the risk?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Bradders:
I saw the thread title with the words "Font", "March" and "risk" and thought 'what risk?!'.

February and March are primetime and especially with two weeks there you'll be fine. If you're a dedicated boulderer and have never spent a good chunk of time there, you have to go. There's a reason people go elsewhere and say "it's not Font is it".

tim palmer:
I think March is probably the best time to go to font,  obviously there is always the chance of getting rained off as it is northern France but around then gives you the best chance of good conditions and dry. It is the best bouldering in the world after all.

I think hueco will be getting pretty damn hot by then, bishop might be OK for rumbling but will also be pretty  flipping hot.

I think swiss will be best alternative but again it is northern Europe although at least the climbing is a bit more weather proof.

Fiend:
I'd like to support the preceeding views and say to definitely book Font in March as it's going to be one of the best times for the best bouldering area, and definitely don't book Font in March as there's too much risk of rain and it's dire if washed out  :2thumbsup:

petejh:
Why not both? If you've 2 weeks you could do one week font one week Swiss, or a week in Albarracin for almost guaranteed dry (Spain too hot by then?). Train/coach between, or car depending on budget.

remus:

--- Quote from: petejh on December 28, 2023, 10:37:52 am ---Why not both? If you've 2 weeks you could do one week font one week Swiss, or a week in Albarracin for almost guaranteed dry (Spain too hot by then?). Train/coach between, or car depending on budget.

--- End quote ---

Personally I wouldn't do this on a two week trip as it feels like spreading yourself a bit thin. It's about 12hrs to Albarracin and about 10hrs to Magic Wood, then I usually feel a bit rough after a long drive and need a day or two to recover, so you'd be taking 2-3 days out of a 16 day trip to drive further away from the best bouldering in the world!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version