the shizzle > news

Names we call each other

(1/12) > >>

stone:

--- Quote from: Aussiegav on November 15, 2023, 11:03:38 am ---
--- Quote from: stone on November 14, 2023, 12:14:28 pm ---washing dementia patients or whatever.

--- End quote ---

This more of an educational post in general. Having been a clinical lead for a complex dementia unit and seen how the disease impacts people, I have a strong stance about the term dementia patient.

Please don’t refer to people as dementia patients.
They are people first and foremost and remain that way until they die.

Reducing their worth to a term of a disease is degrading and dehumanising.
It’s tragic when dementia impacts on a person’s life and that of their loved ones, let’s keep recognising that they are a person with a life story, not a refer to them as a disease.

Language is powerful

--- End quote ---
Noted, thanks, I hadn't realised all the issues with my wording.
Would "people with dementia" be the way to phrase it ?

I'm sort of taken aback by your correction since I've very much viewed myself as being a patient when ill. I still feel a sort of vague tribal solidarity with "cancer patients" and "psychiatric patients" much as I do with eg other climbers. I do consider it a facet of my identity I guess.

Part of me wonders whether by tip-toeing around something we are implicitly casting it as being shameful. When we refer to someone as "a climber" we are not reducing their worth to just the past time they enjoy, it is just the aspect of them that happens to be relevant in that context.

Aussiegav:
Just to be explicit,
I took it as an opportunity to raise awareness of the terminology and its impact.

I work in the NHS and I hear dementia patient used a lot and often extends into terms such aggressive, violent, & old silly Sod etc…
These behaviours are a symptom of the disease, not a personality trait.

A more person centred phrase used is living with dementia/cancer etc……

Anyway, 

Let’s get back to the subject of bouldering, climbing and using big grades for bad beta.
 :popcorn:

SA Chris:

--- Quote from: Bradders on November 14, 2023, 09:55:25 pm ---when Charles went to Rocklands he was staying in a cave.
--- End quote ---

Clearly not concerned about the wildlife! I've seen enough slithering and crawling things about to put me off.

Ged:

--- Quote from: stone on November 15, 2023, 06:17:13 pm ---
--- Quote from: Aussiegav on November 15, 2023, 11:03:38 am ---
--- Quote from: stone on November 14, 2023, 12:14:28 pm ---washing dementia patients or whatever.

--- End quote ---

This more of an educational post in general. Having been a clinical lead for a complex dementia unit and seen how the disease impacts people, I have a strong stance about the term dementia patient.

Please don’t refer to people as dementia patients.
They are people first and foremost and remain that way until they die.

Reducing their worth to a term of a disease is degrading and dehumanising.
It’s tragic when dementia impacts on a person’s life and that of their loved ones, let’s keep recognising that they are a person with a life story, not a refer to them as a disease.

Language is powerful

--- End quote ---
Noted, thanks, I hadn't realised all the issues with my wording.
Would "people with dementia" be the way to phrase it ?

I'm sort of taken aback by your correction since I've very much viewed myself as being a patient when ill. I still feel a sort of vague tribal solidarity with "cancer patients" and "psychiatric patients" much as I do with eg other climbers. I do consider it a facet of my identity I guess.

Part of me wonders whether by tip-toeing around something we are implicitly casting it as being shameful. When we refer to someone as "a climber" we are not reducing their worth to just the past time they enjoy, it is just the aspect of them that happens to be relevant in that context.

--- End quote ---

I hate being referred to as a climber.  Genuinely. 

My wife teaches Health and Social care, and they talk a lot about referring to "people with a disability" rather than "disabled person".  Quite a big difference I think.

M1V0:

--- Quote from: Ged on November 16, 2023, 11:48:25 am ---
I hate being referred to as a climber.  Genuinely. 

--- End quote ---

Why do you think that is? I'm inclined to agree, and I think that's from my own perception of the general climbing population, of which I feel I share minimal values with (and yet, I would probably fit into most other people's perception of what a climber is). I might tell people that I climb, but not that I am a climber.

I think that broadly, referring to people in a reductionist attitude (climber, patient, etc.) is not necessarily harmful in and of itself, but it is the changed perceptions that come with it. In clinical settings, making someone's social identity solely concentrated on their diagnosis will allow others to make disconnections with those people through an absence of shared values and not identifying with those groups of people. In a sense of, "I don't have this diagnosis, so we are different to each other".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version