places to visit > indoor walls

Cloned comp problems?

<< < (4/4)

rodma:
I'm speaking purely from my beyond-the-grave perspective here.

I expect that if not a junior, the cost of going abroad to compete is still relatively inexpensive, presuming the competitor in question is not a primadonna.

The entry fee certainly didn't used to be much (it ought not to have gone up significantly being as the prize money hasn't), which to be fair the bmc covered. Generally we as competitors covered everything else, so all piled into the nearest formule1 or similar,  shared a hire car etc.

I think the annual costs referred to may well be accurate when taking into account all of the team training events,  and if you were to travel to every available international event (presuming you're selected to do so). This would be significantly worse if you're talking a parent accompanying a child competitor.

When I was first competing I was making fractionally over minimum wage, but I appreciate that that minimum was worth more than the minimum today in real terms, and the sport was far more amateur, so the bar to entry was, I expect lower (cheaper,  nae private coaches and the likes).

The one sacrifice for me, since I was holding down a regular job at the same time, was that between the training and long weekends to compete, it left very little time for climbing trips. Boohoo right  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version